Thanks Thanks:  27
Likes Likes:  98
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rating the 2023 Overall List Management Period

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    As I've previously mentioned I didn't mind if a club was genuinely into Lual and picked him from pick 25 to perhaps as late as 35 but after that they really need to have a rethink and assess if they could offer him as much support and a chance for success on and off the field as we would have. Essendon obviously rated him but the right thing would have been for them to let him slide though.
    Essendon and “do the right thing “ are a contradiction.
    Their development history backs that up.
    Bring back the biff

2. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As I've previously mentioned I didn't mind if a club was genuinely into Lual and picked him from pick 25 to perhaps as late as 35 but after that they really need to have a rethink and assess if they could offer him as much support and a chance for success on and off the field as we would have. Essendon obviously rated him but the right thing would have been for them to let him slide though.
    Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Essendon and “do the right thing “ are a contradiction.
    Their development history backs that up.
    Yeah not convinced player welfare is a big part of the Dons culture TBH

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Yeah not convinced player welfare is a big part of the Dons culture TBH
    Or supporters, I remember reading the cost of going to any events they held was way too much for the average member to go to, they also put nothing up at Tullamarine to protect fans from the weather to watch training or even seats.
    When the new board got in they promised to fix this and ended up just putting up about 3 or 4 huge umbrellas I believe.
    And the windy hill bowls club fiasco.
    They live in a world of arrogance.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

It does feel that there was also a clear directive to pick up competitive players this list management period as well.

Croft sees red on the field and plays with aggression.

Smith flies the flag and will stick up for teammates.

Harmes has grubbish qualities but gets stuck in.

6. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    It does feel that there was also a clear directive to pick up competitive players this list management period as well.

Croft sees red on the field and plays with aggression.

Smith flies the flag and will stick up for teammates.

Harmes has grubbish qualities but gets stuck in.
    What are these Testy?

8. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's academic but if it wasn't Dodoro he would have been allowed to slip through. Dodoro is into histrionics like every dickhead who has been a long term member of that poisonous club for a number of years. All short term impact, no substance. They're considered useless pieces of shit for a reason, not just because.

In the context of clubs now looking at drafting strategy over numerous seasons and formats I can't fault our haul this year. We brought in a gun mid, and another tall of good pedigree was gifted to us at what seems to have been the right price in the end. If we had to trade up further for Croft I'd have been disappointed given what we gave up next year.

Freijah if able to rip up the APS system would have been higher placed, in my completely uninformed opinion, so he appears a good pick. The others seem like good needs based selections.

Coffield worries me, but I can see the value if he can get his body right over the next two years. Playing four games at the end of the season in the twos isn't anything like playing at the intensity of senior footy (trust me, I pinged a lot of hammies after good twos form on the way back and the step up isn't something that can be replicated at the lower level), so hopefully an uninterrupted preseason comes his way and he can put his best foot forward.

Harmes was a good pick up, and hopefully he becomes depth as his career progresses with us. There's some players on our list who should be marking him as someone they can replace, but also learning from how he plays disciplined and controlled football and bringing it into their games (Garcia and West come to mind).

Watching us play like shit was hard, but some of the commentary around a side that struggled whilst losing too many close games to finish ninth and just out of the finals (not close to absolute crap) was well out of control. What surprised me more so was the commentary and panic after the season as we awaited action from the club, which has ultimately been measured and productive.

So I think the list management period has been executed really well. I can't put a score on it as that's something for later years, but overall those coming in seem to have enough in them to prosper at the level and keep some of the players on our list not pulling their weight on their toes.

What I really hope though, is that with new facilities, new coaches, new players and a new opportunity to be better in-season the club can take steps forward. Because if it can't and the same shit goes around this year I'll be fearful of the discourse even if we finish just out of the finals, just in them, or out of them convincingly and it will sap all of the enjoyment I have in the game.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind what we've done this off season at all. We seem to have targetted endurance and pace. Glad we picked a ruckman up as well after losing Sweet.

Not really list related but I've liked the changes to the coaching/fitness group as well.

I'm reasonably optimistic for next season which is pretty common at this time of the year to be fair 😅

11. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you compare Dodo body of work vs Powers this trader period , I would be polite by calling it amateurish.
    Power has achieved:
    1. Draft points to get Croft whilst get in a top mid.
    2. Harmes and Coffield, for nothing
    3. We picked up 5 good kids in the draft and found a replacement for Sweet , who maybe even better!
    4. Retained Duryrea with his leadship and onfield coaching ability
    Dodo?
    1. Offeres a fat front ended contract to Mackay , because their list managememt is sh@*$&t they have to pay someone big bucks???
    2. Screwed up management of zerk-thatcher and Ambrosio. 2 mature players wanting to play elsewhere kind sums up their state of deluded affairs
    3. Picking up Lual because they cant be bothered investing in young players and pick him at 39 as spite against us.
    Essendon arent going anywhere for another 1000 days with that list. Their current leaders have been lambasted as ordinary.

Power has done a good job in navigating this draft , with the set of conditions we had. Each one a problem to solve

How to get into top 10 and get enough points for Croft?
    How to get a replacement for Sweet?
    Who are the speed and endurance runners left?
    I thougjt we were 1 defender short in this draft so picking up Bambles could be a good diamond om the rough as SPP.
    Given we are not a big4 club , players just dont consider us first choice e.g Liam Henry.

13. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes josie, CarnTheScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    If you compare Dodo body of work vs Powers this trader period , I would be polite by calling it amateurish.
    That's a low bar but if you don't pass it blokes like Dodo are the ones that will pick your club apart.
    Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post

Given we are not a big4 club , players just dont consider us first choice e.g Liam Henry.
    Yeah, it sounds like the Saints ended up offering more dough. I'm fine with missing out rather than overpaying for someone there's still plenty of doubts over.

Post Thanks / Like

So Bramble aside…

A spot left open for a MSD pick is a get hedge/insurance policy if you have a poor first half of the year to grab some good kids (say an over ager killing the U/18’s, a kid expected to rise or a Mannagh type who went pick 36 in the ND and sounds like was a toss up between him and Poulter for us last MSD).

This again can be seen as an inference we are chips in on 2024. We traded the F1 & F3, we’ve added an extra main list player ant the ND, traded in two mature players who if fit are better than the 2023 fringe 22-23, and now elected to fill the last vacancy now with a mature player. Plus addressing our shithouse goal kicking and upping our fitness. While the footy media projections seem to have us about the same next year, everything from Bains/Grant/Power seems to project we are into our eyeballs in 2024.

At least that’s how I read the tea leaves.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    So Bramble aside…

A spot left open for a MSD pick is a get hedge/insurance policy if you have a poor first half of the year to grab some good kids (say an over ager killing the U/18’s, a kid expected to rise or a Mannagh type who went pick 36 in the ND and sounds like was a toss up between him and Poulter for us last MSD).

This again can be seen as an inference we are chips in on 2024. We traded the F1 & F3, we’ve added an extra main list player ant the ND, traded in two mature players who if fit are better than the 2023 fringe 22-23, and now elected to fill the last vacancy now with a mature player. Plus addressing our shithouse goal kicking and upping our fitness. While the footy media projections seem to have us about the same next year, everything from Bains/Grant/Power seems to project we are into our eyeballs in 2024.

At least that’s how I read the tea leaves.
    The club are certainly showing that they believe we are contenders and why shouldn't they.

They thought we were a chance in '23 but a few things didn't pan out.

For 2024
    We have changed our coaching panel - hopefully this is for the better
    We have improved training facilities - Definite PLUS.
    Our 2022 draftees are now fit - Definite Plus
    Our 2023 draftees look like they are ready to at least compete - Definite Plus.
    Sam Darcy doing an actual pre-season - Definite Plus

I also like the overall list management changes.

Ambition needs to be high.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    The club are certainly showing that they believe we are contenders and why shouldn't they.

For 2024

We absolutely need to think like winners and contenders - that's what the club has put on the record since 2020, that we are right in the window now. We performed to internal expectations in 2021 and we significantly under-performed against those exact same expectations in 2022 and 2023.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

18. Likes josie, CarnTheScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post

For 2024

For sure. For sure.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with the points Bulldog Joe makes. I think Power did brilliantly.

I really rate trading up to pick 4. It is so hard for teams in contention to get fresh really elite talent. So I am rapt with Sanders. Croft is another first round talent and the other picks all have points of interest.

Of all the ins, Sanders is the certainty and he has a nice balanced, low ego personality which is a major bonus.

But the other way of evaluating our haul is by the numbers which I have tried to set out below. I am not too confident that I have it right and would appreciate corrections, but if it is as below then we have creamed it.

So working it out by the points and what all the academy and father/sons did to our picks, you can see why getting pick 4 was so valuable as it was only moved out to six by Walters and North compo. Our original first and Brisbane drifted out a lot, Brisbane’s to 28, ours possibly to even more than the 18 I estimated.

So:

Picks out:

For pick 10 - becomes 18 = 985 points (With academy and father sons)
    For pick 17 - becomes 28 = 677 points (With academy and father sons)
    For pick F1 - becomes 29 = 653 points (With similar academy and father sons being projected for next year and assuming we win it of course!)

Total out = 2315 points

We get in:

Pick 6 = 1751
    Pick 15 = 1112
    Pick 45 = 347
    Pick 47 = 316

Total in = 3526 points (including academy etc.)

Surplus points = 1211 points. That’s an extra mid first round pick we gained. (With academy etc.)

Even if we finish 9th next year (ridiculous, I know)

For pick 10 - becomes 18 = 985
    For pick 17 - becomes 28 = 677
    For pick F1 - becomes 29 = 1112. (With academy etc.)

Total out = 2774 points

With what we get

Pick 6 = 1751
    Pick 15 = 1112
    Pick 45 = 347
    Pick 47 = 316

Total in = 3526 points

Surplus points = 752. That is an extra late first round. (Allowing for a similar number of academy and father son picks)

So we get one elite first round pick who might be the best in the draft, and a good solid first round father/son this year instead of next. And we also kill it on the points system which upgrades all the other picks.

We’ve made out like such bandits, I reckon Sam Power must be the head of the Bratva!

21. Thanks GVGjr, Sedat, bornadog, josie, bulldogtragic, macca thanked for this post
    Likes Bulldog Joe, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good session to bond the new arrivals and the playing group

https://twitter.com/i/status/1729369771513442500
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

23. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Likes Dazza, jDogs liked this post