Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  50
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tom Boyd actually said...

I wonder how Tom would have assessed Brownlow Medallist and multi premiership player, Robert DiPierdomenico who played 1 senior game in 66 rounds between 1975 and 1978, 48 between his first and second games and 99 reserve games altogether. I'm not knocking Tom, his 2016 Grand Final heroics surely entitle him to beatification and he must have performed another miracle since to earn canonisation and the accompanying honorific.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D Mitchell View Post
    I wonder how Tom would have assessed Brownlow Medallist and multi premiership player, Robert DiPierdomenico who played 1 senior game in 66 rounds between 1975 and 1978, 48 between his first and second games and 99 reserve games altogether. I'm not knocking Tom, his 2016 Grand Final heroics surely entitle him to beatification and he must have performed another miracle since to earn canonisation and the accompanying honorific.
    Fair point though I think its a different era now. Basically, the reserves in the 60's and 70's was a proper 2nd tier competition and the ideal place to blood young kids to make them ready for AFL. Now it isn't and if anything too much VFL footy can breed bad habits.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I'd recommend listening to the proper context. About 9:30 onwards (the controversial part at 9:50 onwards). In proper context he talks about things like, 'ability to be coached' and not just whether they have elite traits. So while some might look like they can't compete against men or handle the contested side of the game (Declan Hamilton) or something wrong with their mentality/attitude (Goatz probably), it's not as elitist at it may seem in isolation.

I don't know how accurate his 90% figure is but I bet he's probably reflecting what a lot of us feel about certain players on the list when we wonder how they keep getting retained when it just looks like they don't have IT.
    I just listened to the episode, the comments with context are probably less emphatic, I guess as per my post a couple of pages back it's about perspective and the narrow one he brings to the table.

As you go down the draft board each year every pick becomes more and more speculative, just playing the numbers you'd bet 80% (or whatever the number is) of draftees won't have a substantial AFL career. The issue I have with the comments is the piece around knowing in the first month whether a player will make it. If it rings true, as Tom says basically our entire playing list knows who (and to accuracy of 90%) of Sanders, Croft, Freijah, O'Driscoll and Smith won't make it based on interactions to date.

This is after a bit of match sim in the last couple of weeks before the break, running and fitness work to get them up to speed, weights, drilling, meetings, and induction after relocation. Notwithstanding any time out of training in the managed/ rehab group, individual programs, eating requirements and forecasted weight gain/ growth.

What's the point of development coaches, or development via the second tier? Why not have two drafts if by early January you already know who from the first draft isn't going to make it? One at the start of preseason and one after a month or so? Actually scrap that, not sure we need another excuse for the AFEL to do weird things involving eighteen year old's and put it on TV over two nights.

Anyway, I'd love for Tom to read this thread. Hopefully it'd give him a laugh over the impact of probably unrehearsed comments laced with a bit of hyperbole made on a podcast, generating content to keep us all going over the break.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

4. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I just listened to the episode, the comments with context are probably less emphatic, I guess as per my post a couple of pages back it's about perspective and the narrow one he brings to the table.

As you go down the draft board each year every pick becomes more and more speculative, just playing the numbers you'd bet 80% (or whatever the number is) of draftees won't have a substantial AFL career. The issue I have with the comments is the piece around knowing in the first month whether a player will make it. If it rings true, as Tom says basically our entire playing list knows who (and to accuracy of 90%) of Sanders, Croft, Freijah, O'Driscoll and Smith won't make it based on interactions to date.

This is after a bit of match sim in the last couple of weeks before the break, running and fitness work to get them up to speed, weights, drilling, meetings, and induction after relocation. Notwithstanding any time out of training in the managed/ rehab group, individual programs, eating requirements and forecasted weight gain/ growth.

What's the point of development coaches, or development via the second tier? Why not have two drafts if by early January you already know who from the first draft isn't going to make it? One at the start of preseason and one after a month or so? Actually scrap that, not sure we need another excuse for the AFEL to do weird things involving eighteen year old's and put it on TV over two nights.

Anyway, I'd love for Tom to read this thread. Hopefully it'd give him a laugh over the impact of probably unrehearsed comments laced with a bit of hyperbole made on a podcast, generating content to keep us all going over the break.
    I'm not 100% sure on Boyd but suspect Danny would love all the discussion about something said on the podcast

6. Likes MrMahatma liked this post