Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  172
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tribunal / suspensions 2024

At least Powell doesn't play for the Swans. Would have been totes awks if he was wearing a Qatar Airways sponsored jumper at the time of his homophobic comment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    Personally losing patience with the idea that “education” is the panacea. This is a few weeks after the Finlayson thing made huge headlines. A 24yo in the system a few years, who has come of age since same sex marriage was legalised, and a homophobic slur is still a go-to insult..he needs educating that it’s not ok?
    I see the frustration and completely agree that education shouldn't be needed...but that is a societal problem as much as an AFL problem. There are lots of areas that society, and in particular straight white men, need to be better at - but that 24yo young man might have a father, uncle, coach who thinks that c********r is a perfectly reasonable thing to call someone else. When that has been your whole life, it would be hard to change, and you would need education and support to see the error (with a high likelihood that he will instead choose to believe that he is the victim and listen to more Andrew Tate).

It's a shitty world we're living in, where a lot of people still see others as less than them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    I see the frustration and completely agree that education shouldn't be needed...but that is a societal problem as much as an AFL problem. There are lots of areas that society, and in particular straight white men, need to be better at - but that 24yo young man might have a father, uncle, coach who thinks that c********r is a perfectly reasonable thing to call someone else. When that has been your whole life, it would be hard to change, and you would need education and support to see the error (with a high likelihood that he will instead choose to believe that he is the victim and listen to more Andrew Tate).

It's a shitty world we're living in, where a lot of people still see others as less than them.
    Yes I agree. The persistence of family violence despite well meaning emphases on “respect” tells us that these things run deep. I guess I just get annoyed when it’s like “ education” is going to introduce some new concept that has never before been discussed or considered.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

4. Likes jazzadogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    Yes I agree. The persistence of family violence despite well meaning emphases on “respect” tells us that these things run deep. I guess I just get annoyed when it’s like “ education” is going to introduce some new concept that has never before been discussed or considered.
    I think the education component we are speaking of here involves water boarding and sensory deprivation at first, then progressively more brutal education techniques until he finally thinks the way that we specify he should think and only uses words and phrases that we will allow him to use.

Be patient people. It takes time.. But they all break in the end. Oops! Sorry, great leader I got distracted I will bring your pipe and slippers and DEI manual immediately.