Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  172
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tribunal / suspensions 2024

HAMISH BRAYSHAW'S OPEN LETTER TO THE AFL ON BACKCHAT PODCAST

Dear AFL,

I normally swear on here and act like an idiot, however there will be no profanity or hyperbole in this letter. These are my honest and bewildered thoughts as a current player and lifetime fan of the greatest game in the world.
    The tribunal and match review panel are single-handedly destroying the game. You are making it impossible to play in good spirit, you?re making it impossible to adjudicate and you?re not far off making it impossible to support.
    Over the past 12 months, this is my interpretation of the rules of the game based on what I am hearing and seeing coming directly from the AFL;

Protect the head at all costs, obviously unless a head knock is as a result of a football act, but then it depends on how hard you get hit in that football act and if the player had any other alternatives, but also the player needs to take into account the potential to cause harm, but of course it shouldn?t depend on the outcome of the opponent, unless of course it does result in a concussion, but even then it depends on the intent, but of course a player is entitled to attack the ball with good technique, but it doesn?t matter if the opposition runs in head first like how every kid playing the game growing up gets taught not to do, but then of course it depends on the state of the game and the time of the year, it depends on whether or not we need to make an example out of someone, but then don?t forget if they have had a clean record in the past and do charity work, but then obviously that can only matter once and never again because from now on that doesn?t count, and it depends on the player, and the team they?re on, but really it all boils down to protecting the head because we?re seeing more players retire from concussion than ever before, but we will still let a guy play next week after punching someone in the face in the goal square because it wasn?t hard enough to hurt them.

I have grown up all my life surrounded by football. Playing football, watching football, my family has been engrossed in the AFL system for decades and I have absolutely no idea what is going on anymore.

My brother is never going to play football again in his whole life because of a jumping smother that turned into a bump that collided with his head. As much as it killed me to watch that, I can put my feelings for Angus aside and say that down to the nuts and bolts of it, Maynard was trying to smother the ball in a qualifying final so technically it was a football act.

You certainly didn?t care all for the outcome there and Brayden went on to win a premiership. That is precedence. That was as big a defining moment for the tribunal as I can remember, and you went with protecting the sanctity of the game over the protection of the player. I?m not agreeing or disagreeing with that, but it is breaking me that you are constantly backflipping on that stance.
    Peter Wright and Toby Green, 4 weeks and 1 week respectively for football acts with not a whole lot of difference. Jeremy Finlayson got less than Peter Wright for a homophobic slur which once again highlights that nobody at the AFL really knows what?s happening at the tribunal, you just make it up as you see fit.

Matt Crouch has been given a week for picking the ball up the way every single kid playing football is taught to do it. There is goal square footage of Jesse Hogan punching his defender in the face, and he has admitted to swinging with force to try and push his opponent. The AFL?s response ?We are not clearly satisfied that was anything more than negligible.? He was swung a fist at a bloke's face and because it didn?t hurt you haven?t given him a week. Punish the action, not the outcome unless the outcome is they?re okay. Ask my little brother Andrew if an intentional swing to the face has the potential to cause harm. Incredible.

We?ve heard enough about Charlie Cameron being let off for being a nice guy but Tom Barrass can?t escape a week for the same thing. The get-out-of-jail-free card only appears once in the deck apparently.

This is my last point and I am going to swear so beep this out if you want. Tom Barrass is staying in Perth and missing one game for a dangerous tackle. I don?t think there was much more he could?ve done differently. Walters played the game out and isn?t concussed but sure, still give Barrass a week if that?s the stance, protect the head at all costs. I can?t physically watch the Melbourne Demons play football anymore because my brother?s brain is going to be f***ed for the rest of his life and you didn?t think that was enough for a week off.

AFL you are the greatest game in the world, but right now you?re a joke. Your systems for protecting the player and maintaining the integrity of the game are broken and desperately need to be fixed. Before they can be fixed you need to actually understand the criteria you want to govern the game by. It needs to be understandable for the public and it needs to be followed. You can?t pick and choose when to dismiss certain things and when to change your views on others. It has to change otherwise this game is going to turn into something unrecognisable and it?s going to happen very quickly.

Yours Sincerely,
    Hamish Brayshaw

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't Hamish realise that Maynard bought a lovely bunch of flowers for his brother Angus? Nothing says remorse like such a grand and magnanimous gesture.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Who is Hamish Brayshaw? And why do we care what he says?

Post Thanks / Like

Since when is sticking your foot out to mark a football act?

Nevermind wrong time he obviously got off from that

5. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Angus Brayshaw's brother. He has some skin in the game.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Angus Brayshaw's brother. He has some skin in the game.
    Ah right, Angus had concussion issues long before the Maynard hit so I'm unsure why he was actually playing. How many Brayshaws are there !?

They changed the rules after it - so I guess that's something.

Post Thanks / Like

Libba one week for dangerous tackle.

Lots of fines for various players for wrestling
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    He's the captain of a side in the WAFL. Was on West Coast's list.

I think he's just saying what a lot of other players are saying.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

10. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Suns defender cops five-game ban for homophobic slur

GOLD Coast defender Wil Powell has been handed a five-game suspension by the AFL for making a homophobic slur against a Brisbane player last Sunday night.

The AFL Integrity Unit has been investigating the matter since being made aware of the incident on Monday, following the incident in the QClash at the Gabba.

Powell has been found guilty of breaching AFL Rule 2.3(a) and been hit with a lengthy suspension for conduct unbecoming, which rules him out until round 14 and also prevents him from playing in the VFL.

Powell's ban comes just a month after Port Adelaide forward Jeremy Finlayson was banned for a homophobic slur against an Essendon player in round four.

Finlayson was banned for three matches and was directed to undertake a Pride in Sport education course at his own cost.

The AFL opted for a harsher penalty for Powell given the proximity to the Finlayson incident in the hope this will deter similar conduct in the future.

"It is extremely disappointing to be dealing with a similar incident in only a matter of weeks," AFL general counsel Stephen Meade said.

"The AFL acknowledges Powell?s remorse and cooperation, and while it has considered the circumstances in which the comment was made, there are no excuses for this conduct in our game.

"We foreshadowed both publicly and privately that after what transpired at Gather Round if a similar incident was to happen there would be further consequence.

"There could be no clearer message - homophobia has no place in our game, nor in society. We want all people in the community to feel welcomed in our game and comments such as Powell?s only takes away from this. As a code, as a community, we all must be better."

North Melbourne coach Alastair Clarkson was fined $20,000 and hit with a suspended two-game sanction for an outburst directed towards St Kilda pair Jimmy Webster and Dougal Howard during the AAMI Community Series.

Powell is viewed as a long-term part of the plans at Gold Coast and turned his back on free agency earlier this year by signing a four-year extension that locks him in at the suns until at least the end of 2029.

The 24-year-old has played 95 games for Gold Coast since being selected at pick No. 19 in the 2017 AFL Draft.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1125305/...slur-in-qclash
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

A hefty but appropriate sanction and the player has owned up to his error.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Powell was the player that Laith and our forwards seemed to have an issue with in Ballarat. I'm not surprised that he would be someone keen to throw out some verbal insults, though I'm sure he regrets choosing this particular word. Hopefully he can get some education, improve as a person, and focus on playing better football.

14. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So what are we saying, three weeks wasn't a deterrent but we're confident five will be?

How many when it happens again?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    So what are we saying, three weeks wasn't a deterrent but we're confident five will be?

How many when it happens again?
    I think 3 is about right, 5 on the very high side especially given the player owned the mistake.
    You have to wonder why coaches might get a bit more latitude?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Powell was the player that Laith and our forwards seemed to have an issue with in Ballarat. I'm not surprised that he would be someone keen to throw out some verbal insults, though I'm sure he regrets choosing this particular word. Hopefully he can get some education, improve as a person, and focus on playing better football.
    Personally losing patience with the idea that “education” is the panacea. This is a few weeks after the Finlayson thing made huge headlines. A 24yo in the system a few years, who has come of age since same sex marriage was legalised, and a homophobic slur is still a go-to insult..he needs educating that it’s not ok?
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

18. Thanks azabob, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot thanked for this post
    Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    He should stop following Andrew Tate on X for a start.

20. Likes bornadog liked this post