Re: Racism - Vilification Class Action Against AFL/ VFL

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post

Excuse you.

7. Thanks Happy Days thanked for this post
    Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    People like my grandparents, who were Italian were not considered white. Anglo Saxon or no entry for you.
    Wogs (and Jews) don't count Angelo, you should know that. All that vile racism we copped growing up (and our parents/grandparents copped even worse before us) is not part of the discussion anymore because we never, ever accepted perennial victimhood. And wogs don't suffer fabricated guilt for our cultural heritage, of which we are fiercely proud. Same goes for the SE Asian migrants of the late 70's/80's, who were far too hard-working and high-achieving to now be part of the victimhood discussion circa 2024 - bit hard to be a victim when you are too busy being a successful heart surgeon.

Maybe I've been doing it all wrong for all these years - instead of dating Turkish, German and Italian women in my adult life, I should have demanded historical reparations from them all for their countrymen invading my family's birthplace in Greece. Then I could have gotten on the lucrative victimhood gravy train.

Applying the standards of previous generations to 2024 is not going to help anyone, least of all the aggrieved people who received the abuse in those previous generations - it most certainly is not going to help those communities in remote areas live a better life. This is all silly IMO - call me radical, but I would rather see violent criminals today being punished for what they do, rather than stupid people being punished for what they said 40+ years ago.

IMO, this all proves my point (that I have articulated previously) that racism in 2024 is on life-support in this country (and has been for well over 20 years), and is only being perpetuated by those who profit from dividing an otherwise peaceful and decidedly non-racist society in 2024 compared to previous generations - having to dredge some racist filth said in the 1980's into a class action in 2024 is all the proof you need.

Ultimately, this is what happens when you choose to judge people solely on their immutable birth characteristics and not on their individual actions and behaviours. It also perpetuates the bigotry of low expectations, which is a favourite of the white guilt crowd (hello Andy Maher, RoCo) who live in a deranged, narcissistic world of the saviour complex - for me personally, this attitude is one of the most gross aspects of the social media age in which we currently live, and I do everything possible to block this cancer out completely.
    Last edited by Sedat; 12-03-2024 at 04:03 PM.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Wogs (and Jews) don't count Angelo, you should know that. All that vile racism we copped growing up (and our parents/grandparents copped even worse before us) is not part of the discussion anymore because we never, ever accepted perennial victimhood. And wogs don't suffer fabricated guilt for our cultural heritage, of which we are fiercely proud. Same goes for the SE Asian migrants of the late 70's/80's, who were far too hard-working and high-achieving to now be part of the victimhood discussion circa 2024 - bit hard to be a victim when you are too busy being a successful heart surgeon.

Maybe I've been doing it all wrong for all these years - instead of dating Turkish, German and Italian women in my adult life, I should have demanded historical reparations from them all for their countrymen invading my family's birthplace in Greece. Then I could have gotten on the lucrative victimhood gravy train.

Applying the standards of previous generations to 2024 is not going to help anyone, least of all the aggrieved people who received the abuse in those previous generations - it most certainly is not going to help those communities in remote areas live a better life. This is all silly IMO - call be radical, but I would rather see violent criminals today being punished for what they do, rather than stupid people being punished for what they said 40+ years ago.

IMO, this all proves my point (that I have articulated previously) that racism in 2024 is on life-support in this country (and has been for well over 20 years), and is only being perpetuated by those who profit from dividing an otherwise peaceful and decidedly non-racist society in 2024 compared to previous generations - having to dredge some racist filth said in the 1980's into a class action in 2024 is all the proof you need.

Ultimately, this is what happens when you choose to judge people solely on their immutable birth characteristics and not on their individual actions and behaviours. It also perpetuates the bigotry of low expectations, which is a favourite of the white guilt crowd (hello Andy Maher, RoCo) who live in a deranged, narcissistic world of the saviour complex - for me personally, this attitude is one of the most gross aspects of the social media age in which we currently live, and I do everything possible to block this cancer out completely.
    LOL

Sure man. Other groups just 'accept victimhood'. Pretty much the whole thing can be simplified to 'they should pull themselves up by their bootstraps'. If only it were that simple and easy.

10. Likes EasternWest, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It also perpetuates the bigotry of low expectations, which is a favourite of the white guilt crowd (hello Andy Maher, RoCo) who live in a deranged, narcissistic world of the saviour complex - for me personally, this attitude is one of the most gross aspects of the social media age in which we currently live, and I do everything possible to block this cancer out completely.
    Wait, Sedat; now bear with me here it's going to sound obtuse: Are you saying we dont have to feel bad if we obstain from vicariously gargling the rage elixir and by feeling confused by a Malcolm Gladwell podcast?! *insert shocked gif*

Funny, been reading about the Cuban Missile Crisis in a great book by Max Hastings.

Castro - the man of the workers was raised in a decidely bourgeoisie family, receiving lavish gifts (oh my god property!), going to good schools, travelling etc.
    Humans are human, they gonna human in perpituity.

I find Roco as draining as Rita Panihi. Equally horrendous.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    LOL

Sure man. Other groups just 'accept victimhood'. Pretty much the whole thing can be simplified to 'they should pull themselves up by their bootstraps'. If only it were that simple and easy.
    Yes not sure i agree with Sedat on that front. I get the sentiment, and growing up with a Maltese uncle I was witness to the accepted casual racism (little wog) that was part of his everyday life.
    He did get on with it, and gave as good as he got, however i can't imagine it was something he wanted to happen if he had a choice. Not accepting it shows strength imo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Yes not sure i agree with Sedat on that front. I get the sentiment, and growing up with a Maltese uncle I was witness to the accepted casual racism (little wog) that was part of his everyday life.
    He did get on with it, and gave as good as he got, however i can't imagine it was something he wanted to happen if he had a choice. Not accepting it shows strength imo.
    Yeah I don't diminish that racism by any measure. The thing with whiteness though it's more about exclusion than skin colour. Over time more groups get brought under that umbrella to maintain a demographic majority (or close to it). It's why in the US Latios are now starting to consider themselves white as well, especially if they're white passing. Same as what happened with Irish, Italians, hell even Germans weren't considered 'white' by the likes of Benjamin Franklin (they were too 'swarthy').

14. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL

Are you insinuating with the bolded comment that individuals in other groups are incapable of making a better life for themselves and their family through personal agency and accountability in this country - respectfully, I could not disagree more. I put no ceiling on the ability of any human being to achieve greatness, nor do I put a floor on any human being to perpetuate evil. IMO the only way a free society can function properly is when people are judged solely on their personal actions and behaviour, and that their personal birth characteristics are completely irrelevant in making said judgement.

Specific to this class action, what is the actual end game? It's not about education and learning - that battle was effectively won 30 years ago with the brave actions of Michael Long and Nicky Winmar, actions that did not require legal recourse to make meaningful and truly impactful positive societal change on racism. Has everybody since then come along for the ride? Of course not, you cannot legislate to 100% eliminate stupidity. But has the overwhelming percentage of the general population made the necessary changes in behaviour since then to combat racism? Undeniably yes, and I will gladly die on that hill. Ultimately the legal system will judge whether or not the players in this class action were denied their livelihood and are eligible to receive compensation. I wish those involved well and they deserve the right to pursue whatever actions they believe they should. Even if the end game is a thinly disguised cash grab, that's their right as well - inept politicians and big corporations conduct bastardry and thievery against all of us on a grand scale daily, which irks me far more than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Humans are human, they gonna human in perpituity.
    Well, yes. Doesn't matter what colour they are, their religion, sexual orientation, gender, etc.. There are great humans, shit humans and everything else in between - it has always been thus, and it will always continue to be.

Yeah I don't diminish that racism by any measure. The thing with whiteness though it's more about exclusion than skin colour. Over time more groups get brought under that umbrella to maintain a demographic majority (or close to it). It's why in the US Latios are now starting to consider themselves white as well, especially if they're white passing. Same as what happened with Irish, Italians, hell even Germans weren't considered 'white' by the likes of Benjamin Franklin (they were too 'swarthy').
    Sorry hujsh, but I disagree completely with this assertion as well. What is 'whiteness' anyway? Is it a state of mind, or are we actually supposed to be judging everyone/everything based on colour only? If you have a predilection for yacht rock and popped Polo Ralph Lauren collars, does that make you 'white' regardless of your skin colour? What hue is considered acceptable whiteness/privilege, and what shade automatically puts you in the victim basket? I find the whole revisionist approach to redefining racism very distasteful and disingenuous. The reality is that in human history, all races and religions have been both victims and perpetrators at some point in time. Applying previous historical standards to today completely misses the point of evolution, learning and understanding. To me personally, it is utterly pointless to do so.
    Last edited by Sedat; 12-03-2024 at 03:08 PM.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Come to WA some time!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

17. Likes Rocket Science, EasternWest, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you insinuating with the bolded comment that individuals in other groups are incapable of making a better life for themselves and their family through personal agency and accountability in this country - respectfully, I could not disagree more. I put no ceiling on the ability of any human being to achieve greatness, nor do I put a floor on any human being to perpetuate evil. IMO the only way a free society can function properly is when people are judged solely on their personal actions and behaviour, and that their personal birth characteristics are completely irrelevant in making said judgement.
    Personal accountability can only work on a personal level. You can't just expect 'accountability' to overcome systemic racism. Anyone that actually cares about improving outcomes for people experiencing generational, systemic disadvantages such as poverty, alcoholism, incarceration needs to look at that. Dismissing it all as 'accepting victimhood' because 'I put no ceiling on the ability of any human being to achieve greatness' is just dismissing the issue from your mind. It's the easy way out because all the responsibility is on 'those groups' and none is on 'our society'. It's the old 'I don't see race bit Colbert used to do on the Colbert Report.

Sorry hujsh, but I disagree completely with this assertion as well. What is 'whiteness' anyway? Is it a state of mind, or are we actually supposed to be judging everyone/everything based on colour only? If you have a predilection for yacht rock and popped Polo Ralph Lauren collars, does that make you 'white' regardless of your skin colour? What hue is considered acceptable whiteness/privilege, and what shade automatically puts you in the victim basket? I find the whole revisionist approach to redefining racism very distasteful and disingenuous. The reality is that in human history, all races and religions have been both victims and perpetrators at some point in time. Applying previous historical standards to today completely misses the point of evolution, learning and understanding. To me personally, it is utterly pointless to do so.
    Whiteness is a construct initially meant to justify slavery and colonisation. Now it's just about defining 'in-groups' and 'out-groups'. It's flexible, hence why I mentioned German, Italian and Irish integration into whiteness. I even literally said
    The thing with whiteness though it's more about exclusion than skin colour.
    so it kind of feels like I've already addressed your talking points. One thing I'll add though is usually becoming 'white' in places like the US and Aus means abandoning your actual culture. Like Germans leaving behind their heritage to become generic 'Americans' around the time of WW1 (and at other points in time for other reasons)

Is it a state of mind, or are we actually supposed to be judging everyone/everything based on colour only?
    In actual life just be normal. On a systemic level try to address inequality. Maybe even hold racists accountable occasionally. Crazy lefty stuff right?

19. Likes Grantysghost, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Come to WA some time!
    Agree. Racism is unfortunately alive & well including in Melbourne & Vic. It?s not as overt as it used to be but it?s there alright.

21. Likes Grantysghost, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Come to WA some time!
    Well, it is still 1973 there though right?