Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    From Melbourne, to London and now Perth WA
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Round 2 vs Gold Coast Suns

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    What I would do:

Out: McNeil, VDM, Khamis

In: Macrae, Garcia, Darcy

Move Naughton to CHB, playing Marra, Lobb and Darcy as the forwards. Lobb to play high and chop in the ruck.

Macrae has to play midfield, so Treloar moves to the high half forward role for some of his time - rotating with Macca.

Garcia comes in and plays forward. It?s not his best position, but he seems the most ready and seasoned player who can tackle and has agility.

McNeil, VDM and Khamis miss. Let them get a block of footbal at VFL level and then we can reassess.

What I think we?ll do:

Either no change, or in Macrae and out McNeil.
    100% agree with this. I bang on about it all the time, but Vanders and McNeil just dont make enough impact - at least they are consistent at doing that?!?!?

If we send Nauts back it allows us to play Darcy in the side. On that merit alone it should be enough to pull the trigger on that move and make it happen.

2. Likes Go_Dogs liked this post
    From Melbourne, to London and now Perth WA
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Like it GD. I'd persevere with Buku.

Bevo said in his presser the problem for Buku was amount of time on ground. He was stuffed by the end.
    I personally dont think he positions himself well and gets lost easily, however we've manufactured a plan for him let's give it some time. He's good in the aerial contest and a decent distributor.
    Happy to give Buku more time. The main thing that I noticed was a general lack of intensity in the contest. He just kinda plays way to nice. With his rig I'd love to see him bang in hard.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Sanchez View Post
    Happy to give Buku more time. The main thing that I noticed was a general lack of intensity in the contest. He just kinda plays way to nice. With his rig I'd love to see him bang in hard.
    Jones is great with this.

Bruce was not a great backman, but boy he hit the pack hard and gave his all. Buku needs to do the same. He is still learning the role.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Jones is great with this.

Bruce was not a great backman, but boy he hit the pack hard and gave his all. Buku needs to do the same. He is still learning the role.
    He was added to the list in what year? 2018? He made his debut in 2021. He turns 24 in six days time. Surely he has learnt some of his role?

6. Likes Bullies, MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    He was added to the list in what year? 2018? He made his debut in 2021. He turns 24 in six days time. Surely he has learnt some of his role?
    Trouble is he has played back, then forward, relief ruck, back to forward and now back

He took up football late after coming out of a refugee camp.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

On a side issue, but we really to struggle to take the training wheels off our young draftees. Buku as you mentioned should be more than AFL ready and consistent by now. Buss should be commanding a spot in our senior team at some stage this year. Cleary should already be a well-established senior player, as should Bedendo (I know injuries are more of a mitigating factor for him at least). Clarke and Arty should be pushing hard for regular senior selection this year. And English should be monstering every single ruckman in the competition, without exception, after 8 pre-seasons.

It's not quite at Mulligan levels of slow/no development but it's not far off. If players aren't commanding senior AFL games (or at the very least completely dominating at VFL level) by their 3rd year, we need to be more ruthless in cutting. Even a slow bloomer like Sam DeKonning took the game by storm in his 3rd year.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

9. Likes DOG GOD, macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

English should be monstering people more mature and stronger than he is?

Rucks like Grundy and Gawn don't stop getting stronger year on year until they retire. It will be the same for English. Just look at him and you'll know he's unlikely to ever catch them.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    On a side issue, but we really to struggle to take the training wheels off our young draftees. Buku as you mentioned should be more than AFL ready and consistent by now. Buss should be commanding a spot in our senior team at some stage this year. Cleary should already be a well-established senior player, as should Bedendo (I know injuries are more of a mitigating factor for him at least). Clarke and Arty should be pushing hard for regular senior selection this year. And English should be monstering every single ruckman in the competition, without exception, after 8 pre-seasons.

It's not quite at Mulligan levels of slow/no development but it's not far off. If players aren't commanding senior AFL games (or at the very least completely dominating at VFL level) by their 3rd year, we need to be more ruthless in cutting. Even a slow bloomer like Sam DeKonning took the game by storm in his 3rd year.
    Agree 100%. Something feels off with our player development in recent years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    English should be monstering people more mature and stronger than he is?

Rucks like Grundy and Gawn don't stop getting stronger year on year until they retire. It will be the same for English. Just look at him and you'll know he's unlikely to ever catch them.
    English just isn't that sort of ruckman either. He's a turnover ruckman, and probably the best there is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post

Define "monstering"

Post Thanks / Like

Buku is our Majak Daw

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    Buku is our Majak Daw
    How so? Daw was a much bigger player.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree 100%. Something feels off with our player development in recent years.
    Jamarra and Darcy coming along ok.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Trouble is he has played back, then forward, relief ruck, back to forward and now back

He took up football late after coming out of a refugee camp.
    He is in his sixth year at the club as a full time professional footballer. Fulltime professional. Surely he has learnt some roles. What is he doing every day?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Jamarra and Darcy coming along ok.
    I could coach them to greatness. If you have enough talent you will make it regardless.

Where is the next JJ? The next Easton Wood? The next Dale Morris? The next Matthew Boyd? Where are they? Those players that we mould into genuine AAs or even solid contributors to the 22 or in the top 10 in the B&F.

19. Likes Grantysghost, macca liked this post