I hate this thinking so much.

I guess I understand it but I HATE it.
    Same. Time stops for nobody though.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trade Rumours 2024

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Same. Time stops for nobody though.
    It's a bloody fine line though isn't it.
    I mean I can see that Macrae and Daniel are struggling (compared to their very best), but I am also confident that were they to go elsewhere they would both have good football in front of them, particularly Caleb.

We're (The collective we're, not any specific poster here) quick to really hate on those WE want to keep who lose, and trot out lots of pejorative terms for them like mercenaries, traitors, disloyal, but we can also be very much quick to want to shove loyal heroes out the door, when it suits us.

Not saying either wouldn't be better for a move at end of year, just the interesting dynamics between loyalty from different perspectives.

3. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    It's a bloody fine line though isn't it.
    I mean I can see that Macrae and Daniel are struggling (compared to their very best), but I am also confident that were they to go elsewhere they would both have good football in front of them, particularly Caleb.

We're (The collective we're, not any specific poster here) quick to really hate on those WE want to keep who lose, and trot out lots of pejorative terms for them like mercenaries, traitors, disloyal, but we can also be very much quick to want to shove loyal heroes out the door, when it suits us.

Not saying either wouldn't be better for a move at end of year, just the interesting dynamics between loyalty from different perspectives.
    My take is we should not be contemplating trading either Macrae or Daniel and if the list manager is considering that then they should be sacked...

But I live in an alternative footy universe where it's US against the world, not a group of hired guns temporarily dressed in RWB against the world.

I'm all for players moving club for greater opportunity and (of course) bonanza pay deals, but when two guys who are (reportedly) well paid and play most weeks and being talked about re trade, well, I just HATE IT.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

The question is if your changing tact and looking at speed , then when do you trade good players if they don’t fit the model.
    You can let them see out their contract and they retire or you get zero for them or do you trade a year or two before contract ends and get good value in return?
    I can’t see Macrae getting traded but Daniel I can.
    Bring back the biff

6. Likes Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hot_Doggies View Post
    If we aren?t thinking about trading Macrae and/or Daniel then our list manager should be sacked.
    Is that the same list manager that gave them long contracts?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JanLorMill View Post
    Is that the same list manager that gave them long contracts?
    Long contracts give you good bargain power and they don’t leave unless you agree.
    Timing is the key.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    The question is if your changing tact and looking at speed , then when do you trade good players if they don’t fit the model.
    If good players don't fit the model, then perhaps you're looking at the wrong model.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

10. Likes Bulldog Joe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    If good players don't fit the model, then perhaps you're looking at the wrong model.

So you think we could run Bont, Treloar , Libba, Macrae, Sanders and potentially Daniel in the midfield in the current game?

Post Thanks / Like

So you think we could run Bont, Treloar , Libba, Macrae, Sanders and potentially Daniel in the midfield in the current game?
    Why not? We ran 9 players through the midfield in 2016
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

13. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not pre-empting MJP (who has much better insight than me), but surely you design your game plan to maximise the contribution from the overall list.

When you have eggs and bacon you can make bacon and eggs, but if you only have beans you need a recipe for beans.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

15. Likes Uninformed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Not pre-empting MJP (who has much better insight than me), but surely you design your game plan to maximise the contribution from the overall list.

When you have eggs and bacon you can make bacon and eggs, but if you only have beans you need a recipe for beans.
    Hey hey I'm on a diet BJ!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Why not? We ran 9 players through the midfield in 2016
    Two seasons back we could fit Smith , Hunter and Dunkley into this current group.

Size isn't the problem it's how Bevo is using them and a real lack of rotation.
    The curse is dead.

18. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think part of the problem is that a game style that matches and optimises the talent on the list will still fall short against what other teams are doing.

Good players who are slowish can beat fast players. It's hard for them to consistently beat good fast players though.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Not really it’s more the players are aging and slowing down.
    The game changes tact approx every 5 years it has turned to speed, they fit the style for 10 years or so but now it’s questionable that they can change again with their age.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Two seasons back we could fit Smith , Hunter and Dunkley into this current group.

Size isn't the problem it's how Bevo is using them and a real lack of rotation.
    Well what changed? Lade came in. I have said this for awhile, he has changed the way the mids are used
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.