Thanks Thanks:  44
Likes Likes:  248
Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1920212223242526272829
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trade Rumours 2024

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Innuendo that the injury plagued Jack Martin might be moved from Carlton cheaply so they can throw the kitchen sink at Hayward from Sydney. We were clearly into him at one point. But are his injuries disqualifying?
    Obviously talented but you can't count on him playing much more than half the season. Played his first AFL game last week and then does his calf at training. Will be 30 before the start of next season. I would only consider it if we have an amazing finish to the year and are in the flag window for 2025.

2. Likes Dogs 24/7 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Innuendo that the injury plagued Jack Martin might be moved from Carlton cheaply so they can throw the kitchen sink at Hayward from Sydney. We were clearly into him at one point. But are his injuries disqualifying?
    I agree with Axey, we would be unlikely to get enough games out of him to make a trade worthwhile.

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/af...5535e72825bb8d

What can we get for Caleb and Jack?

Heres the article:

North Melbourne co-captain Jy Simpkin’s injury frustration has continued as coach Alastair Clarkson says he wants to bring in senior players from other clubs.

Simpkin was named in the Kangaroos’ squad for Sunday’s clash against Essendon but was unable to complete training as he continues to battle a “deep” quad strain that is affecting his kicking.

Clarkson, who did not deny interest in former Sydney captain Luke Parker as the winless Kangaroos plan to strengthen their list next season, said Simpkin was “highly unlikely” to play.

The proud Indigenous footballer is set to miss at least the first week of Sir Doug Nicholls Round after he was withdrawn from last week’s loss to Gold Coast in Darwin.
    North Melbourne co-captain Jy Simpkin is ‘highly unlikely’ to face Essendon on Sunday as he battles a quad strain. Picture: Michael Willson / Getty Images
    North Melbourne co-captain Jy Simpkin is ‘highly unlikely’ to face Essendon on Sunday as he battles a quad strain. Picture: Michael Willson / Getty Images

“He’s got a really low grade strain in a deep muscle in the quad, and that doesn’t stop him from being able to run and do most things, but to kick full length is the concern for him,” Clarkson said.

“He’s a resilient character and very, very proud … he’s disappointed that he can’t make the contribution that he can, he’s just going through that patch that a lot of footballers do.”

Clarkson said the Kangaroos were exploring whether they could secure mature-aged recruits through the mid-season draft, as he said he was interested in recruiting an experienced leader from another club at the season’s end.

When asked about Parker, who has spent three weeks in the VFL as he tries to break back into a stacked Sydney midfield, Clarkson said he was eager to look at players of his calibre.

“I think so … we’ve seen that model before, particularly Brisbane – Fages (coach Chris Fagan) did that with (Luke Hodge) and Grant Birchall,” Clarkson said.

The coach said it was important the Roos targeted players who could make strong contributions on the field as well as off-field.

“It’s not just bringing them in there because they’re good fellas or historically they’ve been good leaders at their previous clubs,” he said.
    North Melbourne would be interested in Sydney champion Luke Parker, who is a Victorian but been with the Swans since he was drafted in 2010. Picture: Phil Hillyard
    North Melbourne would be interested in Sydney champion Luke Parker, who is a Victorian but been with the Swans since he was drafted in 2010. Picture: Phil Hillyard

Clarkson said he was “on the fence” about a mid-season trade period, as he noted the Roos would have desperately loved some support for key forward Nick Larkey in the wake of Callum Coleman-Jones’ season-ending achilles injury in round 3.

He said he wanted the AFL to loosen up player movement, which he called a “constrained, regulated system”, but acknowledged other clubs who had expressed concern about a mid-season draft had raised valid points.

Interstate clubs are reportedly concerned it would be too difficult to attract Victorian players due to the impact of relocating mid-year, while other club sources have said the draft would favour flag contenders at the expense of battlers.

“As quickly as you say these are the positives to it, you’ll get screamed down because there’s disadvantages to it as well,” Clarkson said.

“But sometimes you can be biased towards your own personal circumstances, and you push for that to be the case … it might be our club in two years time saying, ‘no, this mid-season draft’s got whiskers on it’.”

Clarkson said the Roos would take a “horses for courses” approach with Harry Sheezel and potentially leave him in a midfield role despite Colby McKercher (foot) being sidelined until at least after the mid-season bye.

He said he was “really pleased’ for former players Todd Goldstein and Ben McKay, who will come face-to-face with their old club for the first time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post
    https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/af...5535e72825bb8d

What can we get for Caleb and Jack?

3rd round at best.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    3rd round at best.
    plus their salary being off our books?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    3rd round at best.
    Rather keep them
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

The thought of Macrae and, for me, even moreso Daniel in another jumper makes me feel sad. However if they are not in team regularly come end of the season I can understand it?s in best interests of player(s) and us to seek opportunities elsewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Rather keep them
    at what cost?

Its hard given they are legends of the club, but they are on big salaries and are also potentially holding back the development of a longer term option.

Don't get me wrong, im on the fence, i think they still offer something, but this is the part of list management where we have hung on too long and it has bitten us in the past.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post
    at what cost?

Its hard given they are legends of the club, but they are on big salaries and are also potentially holding back the development of a longer term option.

Don't get me wrong, im on the fence, i think they still offer something, but this is the part of list management where we have hung on too long and it has bitten us in the past.
    It all depends on where we finish the season and their form over the balance of the season.
    I'm in no hurry to consider trading them but open to other options depending on where we finish.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"