Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  12
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dementia, CTE symptoms, early Parkinson?s, depression: Former Bulldog Nigel Kellett living a concussion nightma

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Mid 50's Josie.
    A former boss of mines best friends wife is late 40's and she's been diagnosed as medium level of dementia.
    Yeah-typo - I knew Nigel was younger than me playing with Johnno etc. There?s a sweet woman at my 95 yo mum?s aged care who looks to be in her maybe late 40s maybe 50s. Said she was a primary schoolteacher, charming person. I thought she was visitor and my Mum explained she has early dementia. She met my Mum one day and forgot about meeting her the next. Bloody awful.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dementia, CTE symptoms, early Parkinson?s, depression: Former Bulldog Nigel Kellett living a concussion nightma

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Because helmets do bugger all to prevent your brain rattling around in your head. They might prevent a fractured skull but that's about it. American football and their almost motorbike helmets are a case in point.

In fact there is a school of thought that helmets could actually make things worse as players incorrectly assume they offer protection and are even more reckless in approaching contests.
    To back up Axe Man here?s a good, recent article:
    https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/20...n-experts-warn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Because helmets do bugger all to prevent your brain rattling around in your head. They might prevent a fractured skull but that's about it. American football and their almost motorbike helmets are a case in point.

In fact there is a school of thought that helmets could actually make things worse as players incorrectly assume they offer protection and are even more reckless in approaching contests.
    True. When our youngest started tackle rugby we looked into it. The stop cauliflower ears and possibly head wounds etc, bu that is about it

Post Thanks / Like

wow that was a tough read, feel incredibly bad for Nigel

Post Thanks / Like

The AFL and the public needs to tread carefully here, but not as much as the media does. That was a terrible read and I hate what is happening to Nigel and those around him who are impacted.

I recently lost my father to Alzheimer's disease, or more specifically (or generally), the difficulties and complications that occur when stricken by it and other ailments take hold.

He was 78, and it was a pretty text book progression from diagnosis, to "sundowner" symptoms, madness, anger, the lot. It was horrible.

But it can always be worse. My best mate's ex-partner, mother of his three kids never played sport and was struck with early onset dementia four or five years ago (time flies when you're having fun, right) and she didn't experience any head trauma over the journey. Another friend's father suffered from it and died rapidly in his sixties (after the court cases for fraud and jail).

These sorts of articles aren't helpful in the current climate and I question the motivation, not of Nigel and his partner, but the author.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

6. Thanks GVGjr, Sedat thanked for this post
    Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    The AFL and the public needs to tread carefully here, but not as much as the media does. That was a terrible read and I hate what is happening to Nigel and those around him who are impacted.

I recently lost my father to Alzheimer's disease, or more specifically (or generally), the difficulties and complications that occur when stricken by it and other ailments take hold.

He was 78, and it was a pretty text book progression from diagnosis, to "sundowner" symptoms, madness, anger, the lot. It was horrible.

But it can always be worse. My best mate's ex-partner, mother of his three kids never played sport and was struck with early onset dementia four or five years ago (time flies when you're having fun, right) and she didn't experience any head trauma over the journey. Another friend's father suffered from it and died rapidly in his sixties (after the court cases for fraud and jail).

These sorts of articles aren't helpful in the current climate and I question the motivation, not of Nigel and his partner, but the author.
    Good points. Hoping there?s a lot more research & statistical analysis so we can make more informed decisions & judgements of causes & effects etc.

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry to hear about your dad Jee.

9. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    So sorry to hear about your dad Jee.
    Thanks mate. Sad, but OK.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing Jee and my deepest condolences.
    I do some volunteering at an aged care facility and I know its a challenging time for the next of kin and family of Dementia sufferers. You wouldn't wish it upon anyone.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

12. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post