Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  47
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why does everyone love JOD so much?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Hey you won't get an argument outta me coach. I'm more than happy to keep tapping the sign.

Haaaaa

Post Thanks / Like

JOD is good.

It's true that thinking he's the answer is a sign of how desperate our kpd situation is.

Really would have loved the sink being thrown at Mckay.

Dons did well.

Post Thanks / Like

I actually think JOD and Buku could be well suited to playing together alongside Jones. Ideally we have someone who can play 'bigger' alongside Liam Jones, however I rather go undersized than immobile and/or big liability with ball in hand.

Jones, Buku, JOD and Ed could combine well for a 'team defence' type unit. Players who can move and actually mark the thing.

4. Likes lemmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    JOD is good.

It's true that thinking he's the answer is a sign of how desperate our kpd situation is.

Really would have loved the sink being thrown at Mckay.

Dons did well
    The defence that McKay leads, as the highest paid player in the comp coughed up 36 scoring shots against Sydney the other night.

McKay had 1 kick & 1 mark (and 8 handballs)

Given we have 3 high profile players to re-sign I'm pretty glad we didn't waste any $$ on McKay.

6. Likes Smads57, Go_Dogs, bulldogtragic, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    The defence that McKay leads, as the highest paid player in the comp coughed up 36 scoring shots against Sydney the other night.

McKay had 1 kick & 1 mark (and 8 handballs)

Given we have 3 high profile players to re-sign I'm pretty glad we didn't waste any $$ on McKay.
    He plays for a shit team not sure that's a fair assessment of his value to a side.

I'd be rapt to have him.

Post Thanks / Like

HOPE. He is young. He is raw. He showed potential. He is still in that glorious honeymoon stage.

HOPE!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    HOPE. He is young. He is raw. He showed potential. He is still in that glorious honeymoon stage.

HOPE!!!!!!!
    It's what kills ya.

10. Likes Danjul, mjp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been impressed with his approach to the way he trains and the way he listens to and acts on what the coaches tell him and the way he reacts with his team mates. He also engages the spectators in a very friendly and professional manner. On the weekend I talked to one of the player sponsors who's best friend sat with O'Donnell at the player sponsors night and he couldn't believe how well he engaged all of the sponsors on the table. This guy was very anti that JOD was given games early on but left the night thinking he will probably be in the clubs leadership group within 3 years.

In a pure footy sense and with some other factors these might be some of the reasons why he has a broad appeal with some of our supporters:
    - He's a good looking lad
    - As a taller defender he plays a role where we don't have a lot of depth and where we have a couple of older players
    - Getting games into him would make a lot of sense
    - He's tall, mobile and with decent kicking skills and over summer I believe he's demonstrated and ability to be a link player for us
    - Who doesn't love the story of the recruiting team running the ruler over him after JOD had a discussion with our former head of performance at a cricket session.

I think the reason why he resonates with a lot of supporters is fairly obvious.
    We will probably find out over the next 12 or 18 months if he is the next Lewis Young or Liam Jones.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

12. Likes hujsh, Uninformed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I Keath really that cooked?

Or…Did he have some niggles last year that have come good and he can get back to a decent level?

I think the love for JOD is directly correlated with the thinking that Keath is done.

14. Likes Dry Rot, jeemak, lemmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Battle can defend at 193cms, as can Callum Wilkie at 191cms. Tom Stewart is in the conversation for best key defender in the last decade or so and is 190cms.

JOD on form right now is arguably the 2nd best key defender on our list behind Jones (not a ringing endorsement of our list management and our current key defensive stocks). He would most likely have Buss, Keath and Gardner covered. And with Coffield now out for an extended period (poor guy), Buku can slot into Coff's role as the 3rd tall intercept defender/flexible chop out.

If JOD struggles for form, there will be an opportunity for Keath and/or Gardner to take his place in the future.

Not sure we all 'love' JOD (he was heavily criticised in his first 3-4 games) but I think we are all pleasantly surprised at the rapid rate of improvement from when he was first drafted (and totally gifted senior games before he was ready) to the end of last season, and in a position that we have been crying out for depth and talent. That improvement continued during pre-season whereas the likes of Keath and Gardner have plateaued/dipped.
    This type of selection has been killing us for years now.

Gardner came in from nowhere and was dropped after 3 possessions in game 2.
    Weightman getting 1 possession when he couldn?t use 1 arm.
    Bruce getting 2 because he couldn?t run .
    A Jones getting 0 in 80 minutes of game time, being dropped and then coming back for 4 possessions.

more recently ( like past fortnight)
    VDM getting 20 possessions in 2 games and having 7 clangers.
    Poulter getting 6 possessions and giving up 2 goals.

Every one of these was hailed as a selection master stroke.
    But the team and supporters suffered.

We don?t seem to be using selection criteria and a game plan that players 10-22 can deliver with.

We have missed finals opportunities because of needless losses and diminished percentage, but all that is being sacrificed in the quest for a stroke of genius. Can we just select players who have shown that they are in form and know how to deliver.

16. Likes Dry Rot, Bulldog Joe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He moves and runs well, he?s got reasonable judgment of the ball and can intercept. His kicking skills are sound. He?s got a lot of UPSIDE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post

Or…Did he have some niggles last year that have come good and he can get back to a decent level?

I think the love for JOD is directly correlated with the thinking that Keath is done.

19. Likes bornadog, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I propose the fewer games Keath plays for us this year, the better.

If that ends up being the case it means Jones stays healthy and O'Donnell progresses to being an automatic pick.

Keath's solid veteran depth but too much is asked of him in our system at this stage in his career.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Keath has been cooked since he injured his hamstring at mcg against Melbourne on a wet Saturday night in 2021.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Keath has been cooked since he injured his hamstring at mcg against Melbourne on a wet Saturday night in 2021.
    agree
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.