Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Good Game or Bad Game: Riley Bonner vs Essendon

So what was the answer mjp???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    So what was the answer mjp???
    LOL. I don't know what they were asking him to do!

I thought it was an excellent performance in terms of commitment to the contest and taking the game on with run. His disposal stats were skewed somewhat but he needed to kick it better. I haven't seen him attack the game like that for a couple of years so I am hopeful we see more of this player and less of the hyper conservative defender of 2023.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

3. Thanks Go_Dogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Question for the Stat heads.

Last week vs Essendon, Riley Bonner had (I believe) a record number of turnover possessions. 19.

Think about that. 17 of his possessions ended up in oppo hands. Now - they weren't all direct to the oppo (kick to a pack, oppo win that contest etc) but AFLTables have him listed with 19 Clangers.

He also had > 1000m gained.

Impactful or not impactful.

I would prefer people who watched the game don't comment...I just want to know what you think purely based on those simple numbers.
    Did not see the game and only seeing thread now. But seems a fun game!!

Okay, so whilst not seeing the game I saw that he had 19 clangers....but on that same list of 'all time clangers per game' - Bont's 15 against v Brisbane last year was on there - BUT I know Bont was influential that night, so the stat can be misleading.

However, given the role Bonner plays across half back as a bit of a designated kicker, my leaning is that he didn't have a postive/impactful game in that circumstance.

Sidebar, which probably works against me - is that I'm not sure how many clangers JJ had in the 2016 GF, and he had hige metres gained. And I know we all watch the game back now and see JJ's kicking errors - BUT - at the game, watching it live, I felt it was a game that was CRYING out for metres gained and trying to win the territory game and press up. At the game, live, before the announcement was made I honestly thought JJ would win the medal and I'm happy he did. I've watched the game probably 15-20 times and I come up with a different Norm every time....but JJ WAS impactful in a big way.

But I tend to think at Marvel those clangers can really kill you.

5. Likes Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Did not see the game and only seeing thread now. But seems a fun game!!

Okay, so whilst not seeing the game I saw that he had 19 clangers....but on that same list of 'all time clangers per game' - Bont's 15 against v Brisbane last year was on there - BUT I know Bont was influential that night, so the stat can be misleading.

However, given the role Bonner plays across half back as a bit of a designated kicker, my leaning is that he didn't have a postive/impactful game in that circumstance.

Sidebar, which probably works against me - is that I'm not sure how many clangers JJ had in the 2016 GF, and he had hige metres gained. And I know we all watch the game back now and see JJ's kicking errors - BUT - at the game, watching it live, I felt it was a game that was CRYING out for metres gained and trying to win the territory game and press up. At the game, live, before the announcement was made I honestly thought JJ would win the medal and I'm happy he did. I've watched the game probably 15-20 times and I come up with a different Norm every time....but JJ WAS impactful in a big way.

But I tend to think at Marvel those clangers can really kill you.
    There are clangers, and there are Clangers.

If he's a defender and getting the ball, the opposition isn't.
    If he's copping those clangers as quick kicks out of a 50/50 contest and he buys his team and extra 10 seconds to rush back and fill leading lanes, those clangers are a net positive.

mjp has, if anything, shown how important context is when talking about the stats sheet.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve bit my tongue long enough. I thought he was putrid that game. Said the same in the other games thread during the game. They were desperate for composure and every time he touched late he turned it over and missed some key targets.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    There are clangers, and there are Clangers.

If he's a defender and getting the ball, the opposition isn't.
    If he's copping those clangers as quick kicks out of a 50/50 contest and he buys his team and extra 10 seconds to rush back and fill leading lanes, those clangers are a net positive.

mjp has, if anything, shown how important context is when talking about the stats sheet.
    What if he's receiving the ball/taking kick ins though? In that case the team has won the ball back and trusted him with starting their move forward and he's not fulfilling his role.