Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  19
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 6, 2024 vs St Kilda

This is the Round 6, 2024 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once tonight's game against St Kilda is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
    The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 6, 2024 vs St Kilda

I can't find an anchor tonight.

Bankers:
    Accurate set shot goal kickers - So many did brilliantly tonight
    Bailey Dales game across half back, there are often good games, great games and what Dale brought tonight was elite
    Treloar deserves a mention. Just kept at it.

Post Thanks / Like

B:

- Almost everyone. Treloar, Macrae, Dale, English... I could go on. Emphatic response and the best team performance in 2 years.

- Coaching. Brilliant setup and loved seeing Richards and Garcia in the mid group. Lyon is one of the best in the game but we really troubled them in a number of areas, including the way our talks separated forward of centre.

Goal kicking. Quite brilliant.

A:

The schedule. Multiple 6 day breaks for both teams, how does that happen?
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    A:

The schedule. Multiple 6 day breaks for both teams, how does that happen?
    The draw will not get any better for many teams and the Saints have had a terrible run as well
    The AFL needs to add an extra couple of players to the playing lists.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    1. Dale and Macrae, flipped the bird to many on here.
    2. Garcia and Richards in the midfield.
    3. Liam Jones, outstanding, Membrey got a couple of junk goals

Anchors
    none

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. I'm giving a Banker to Beveridge. Did not coach like a man under siege tonight, though it would've been understandable if he had've.
    He cops a lot, and he sometimes doesn't do himself any favours with media and fans alike, but he's a very good coach.

People here will still speculate if he should go or not, and that's fine, I've even got some doubts after last week too.

What can't be brought into the argument though, at least not based on what we saw last night, is any contention his message isn't getting through or he's lost the group. That was a 22, 23 man effort on field.

2. Dale, Macrae, English... copped their whacks on the chin, both selection wise, and media scrutiny wise and just got down to business. Dale's in particular was a stunning performance.

3. Duryea, not in votes, but he has really given his all in Dog's colours. I can see why even at his age Bevo and Co were keen to keep him around,

Anchors

Just one anchor for me

1 Bont. Selfish tonight, and a bit hypocritical in giving others bakes for similarly overlooking teammates in better positions.

Post Thanks / Like

My only anchor is Bramble - my Hawks mates weren't wrong when they said his disposal by foot and decision-making are iffy. He has terrific attributes with his run and carry, which we absolutely need, but he needs to sharpen up the important disposal bit - his handball clanger last week started Essendon's momentum.

Too many Bankers to mention - outstanding response both in the coaches box and out on the ground. We are Jedd Busslinger coming on short of being a really strong and well-rounded team. JOD and Buku are terrific as support defenders but not the no 2 - they are more Kolo and Guthrie for Geelong and we need Jedd to become our De Koning. Jones is our Stewart and is a brilliant key defender in all facets - body positioning, rebound marking, peeling off to support when needed. Love him.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    My only anchor is Bramble - my Hawks mates weren't wrong when they said his disposal by foot and decision-making are iffy. He has terrific attributes with his run and carry, which we absolutely need, but he needs to sharpen up the important disposal bit - his handball clanger last week started Essendon's momentum.

Too many Bankers to mention - outstanding response both in the coaches box and out on the ground. We are Jedd Busslinger coming on short of being a really strong and well-rounded team. JOD and Buku are terrific as support defenders but not the no 2 - they are more Kolo and Guthrie for Geelong and we need Jedd to become our De Koning. Jones is our Stewart and is a brilliant key defender in all facets - body positioning, rebound marking, peeling off to support when needed. Love him.
    Jones is unbelievable.

Wish he was 5 years younger.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Jones is unbelievable.

Wish he was 5 years younger.
    He's actually ridiculous. He was on the junk heap when he left us, I would never have thought this would be the outcome. Such a good player, such a good reader and competitive and brave and seems a really nice kid.
    "It's over. It's all over."

10. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can?t believe Jones either. He was nowhere near this good at Carlton.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I can?t believe Jones either. He was nowhere near this good at Carlton.
    Hard agree. He seemed like the second, less reliable key defender with Weitering. Since joining us it's like the year off in QLD rejuvenated him

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    He's actually ridiculous. He was on the junk heap when he left us, I would never have thought this would be the outcome. Such a good player, such a good reader and competitive and brave and seems a really nice kid.
    He's the best. It really is hard to believe. He's almost the exact opposite of what he was as a forward with us.

14. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I watched Jones very closely when he was defending near our cheer squad this week. He nearly always knows when to leave his man, when to spoil, when to tap. So instinctive. A delight to watch and in a way as exciting as when Naughty is on a rampage in forward line.

Hoping he can continue this for a few more seasons. Would love to see a premiership medal around his neck with us.

Hopefully he is imparting his knowledge to , Khamis and O?Donnell too. Guessing he?d be a good mentor as on ground he seems very supportive of others.

16. Likes Sedat, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    I watched Jones very closely when he was defending near our cheer squad this week. He nearly always knows when to leave his man, when to spoil, when to tap. So instinctive. A delight to watch and in a way as exciting as when Naughty is on a rampage in forward line.

Hoping he can continue this for a few more seasons. Would love to see a premiership medal around his neck with us.

Hopefully he is imparting his knowledge to , Khamis and O?Donnell too. Guessing he?d be a good mentor as on ground he seems very supportive of others.
    In his first stint with us he was very young and I watched him in a vfl game, he was playing back and even then he was giving instructions.
    Bring back the biff

18. Likes I'm Not Bitter Anymore! liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    In his first stint with us he was very young and I watched him in a vfl game, he was playing back and even then he was giving instructions.
    We have a VFL premiership cup, for which Jones was a major contributor (as a forward) during the Grand Final 2014.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.