Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  13
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: "Schedule" wins. And Losses. Do they exist (and in what form?).

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Is Yarraville a neutral ground considering the distance in hours both combatants would need to travel?
    As the antagonist I feel MJP shouldn't benefit from scheduling and location equity.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Any need for a response like this? I don't care if you disagree with me but this is Facebook level rubbish.

I?m not disagreeing. I was laughing because you compared Melbourne?s effort in the 2nd Adelaide game with Freo?s effort when they got home. I just chuckled at the comparison as it seemed unfair and misguided.

The reality is both sides stayed in Adelaide for 2 weeks and performed well whilst there - Melbourne won both and Freo were robbed once by the umpires and very unlucky in a 3-point loss the next. Then when they got home both sides lost games in which they were heavy favourites.

The EXACT same thing happened to both teams.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    As the antagonist I feel MJP shouldn't benefit from scheduling and location equity.
    I've seen MJP's biceps he could walk to Yarraville on his hands and still be up for the throw down.

Coaches sooking about their short breaks is a nice deflection. I guess you only hear about it when they lose.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Fair. I would claim though - in my defence - that Axe deliberately messed up the comparison between Melbourne and Freo to get me to bite. I probably shouldn’t have bitten quite as hard, but I still claim I was provoked.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Fair. I would claim though - in my defence - that Axe deliberately messed up the comparison between Melbourne and Freo to get me to bite. I probably shouldn’t have bitten quite as hard, but I still claim I was provoked.
    Where is your “good guy” character reference?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

So does all this mean:

- we only won cause Saints were tired
    - Freo only lost cause they were tired
    - thus if no one is tired, we don’t win and they don’t lose, so tip Freo this week?

7. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    So does all this mean:

- we only won cause Saints were tired
    - Freo only lost cause they were tired
    - thus if no one is tired, we don’t win and they don’t lose, so tip Freo this week?
    You've cracked the code.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Is Yarraville a neutral ground considering the distance in hours both combatants would need to travel?
    Could be a gather round in Adelaide
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Could be a gather round in Adelaide
    Gather round the Nets?

Post Thanks / Like

It's incredibly unfair that there are 8 teams who have already had a bye.

There have been 4 matches so far including teams who have had a bye playing teams with no bye. 3 have been won by the team off the bye.

There were also inexplicably 4 matches in round one with a team who played round zero vs a team who had not yet played. 3 out of 4 were won by the match hardened team.

Looking at the saints...
    Round 1 - cats, lost by 8
    5 day break (do we include game day as a 'day'? This was really only four rest days between games, Saturday to Thursday)
    Round 2 - beat collingwood (+1 extra day break) by 15 points
    8-9 day break
    Round 3 - lose to Essendon (2 days less break) by 4 points
    7-8 day break
    Round 4 - beat Tigers (1 less break day) by 7 points
    5-6 day break
    Round 5 - lose to giants (same break) by 1 point
    4-5 day break
    Round 6 - destroyed by the dawgs (1 extra day break)

That's a lot of words to say maybe in this case the Saints are just inconsistent and not that good?

12. Likes Scorlibo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Gather round the Nets?
    YEs the Nets in Adelaide
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

What I'm saying here is that there are 100% losses related to the schedule. It isn't necessarily the number of games or short turnarounds or really any SINGLE thing...but there is no doubt an accumulation of factors that contributes to poor results.

Are some things an excuse? Of course. But some are real. The players from Melbourne and Freo arriving home after 10-days away and losing badly...yeah - I have no doubt they would have been distracted by "life stuff" upon arriving home and it contributed to poor outcomes. They are people and being single point focussed when away would quickly change upon arriving home - wives, girlfriends, kids, pets, houses, friends...there would be a LOT to catch up on and everyone would exhale upon arriving home...does that give them an excuse for losing? Nope. But I don't think it helped them in any way.

Saints playing 3 games in close proximity? Absolutely an issue...was our 'extra day' a big advvantage? Maybe not...but ONE DAY can make a big difference to a corked calf (for example)...doesn't change your status for the game (you still play) but the impact on output can be a LOT.

Having a state league group that plays on different days is another issue...different recovery schedules, different training weeks - it's not easy.

Is it everything? Nope. But it's not nothing and I don't think we are considering it enough. And it isn't about the fixture needing to be more equitable - it wont be - but WHEN and WHERE (home or away) that games are scheduled.

15. Thanks Bulldog Joe, Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I would have thought it was apparent from a long posting history I have never done anything of the sort.

I wasn't even considering the next games for Freo and Melbourne when they returned home. I guess that was your point but I didn't find it apparent from your first post. I guess reading and posting in the middle of working might not lead to optimum comprehension on my part.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    It's incredibly unfair that there are 8 teams who have already had a bye.

There have been 4 matches so far including teams who have had a bye playing teams with no bye. 3 have been won by the team off the bye.

There were also inexplicably 4 matches in round one with a team who played round zero vs a team who had not yet played. 3 out of 4 were won by the match hardened team.

Looking at the saints...
    Round 1 - cats, lost by 8
    5 day break (do we include game day as a 'day'? This was really only four rest days between games, Saturday to Thursday)
    Round 2 - beat collingwood (+1 extra day break) by 15 points
    8-9 day break
    Round 3 - lose to Essendon (2 days less break) by 4 points
    7-8 day break
    Round 4 - beat Tigers (1 less break day) by 7 points
    5-6 day break
    Round 5 - lose to giants (same break) by 1 point
    4-5 day break
    Round 6 - destroyed by the dawgs (1 extra day break)

That's a lot of words to say maybe in this case the Saints are just inconsistent and not that good?
    Well...I would say they have been super consistent.
    5x VERY close games. 2 wins, 3 losses.
    THEN - one catastrophe.

When you look at it, they very easily could have beaten Geelong, GWS and Essendon - they lost two of those by less than a kick and by just 8-points to the Cats - and been 5-0.

You can't stay 'UP' forever.

Again - the game vs us on a shorter than normal week after a tough loss? Is it any surprise what happened (in retrospect)??

18. Likes jazzadogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I would have thought it was apparent from a long posting history I have never done anything of the sort.
    100% mate. Pretty sure I don't randomly fire shots either...as I noted, my lols comment was because I genuinely thought you were poking fun. It was't meant in anger or to be disagreeable in any way...it was more a "You've manipulated the story to support your hypothesis and I see what you've done there...how about this though..."...

Anyway. I still think it's a good thread! :-)

20. Likes GVGjr liked this post