Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  13
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Age - AFL clubs push for stand on violence against women

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    On this we absolutely agree, which is why I would like organisations like the AFEL to do more. A moment's silence prior to a game isn't doing more. It's acknowledging a problem that everybody knows exists, but shouldn't.

If the AFEL was to follow this action up with substantive programs for its male participants and became a genuine advocate for women's safety and a vocal critic of violence perpetrated by men, then I'd change my tune.
    Don't get me wrong, I am not fully endorsing what the AFL are doing, just stating what they are doing, which is better than nothing. Hopefully it grows legs.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Timing is everything
    We've had Tom Morris informing the AFL community that the clubs will lock arms this round to rally against violence against women
    We've also had Brad Scott backing Tarryn Thomas to return to the AFL and saying he's a good person.

Surely Tom Morris was the wrong man to announce that and Brad should have just not made public comments about Thomas that painted him a positive light.
    I think Brad Scott announcing to the world he's a dickhead who can't read a room and is potentially a men's violence apologist is a good thing. I would prefer at the very least we identify the men's violence apologists who are in leadership positions as these are the people who we need to target for a change in attitude.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I am not fully endorsing what the AFL are doing, just stating what they are doing, which is better than nothing. Hopefully it grows legs.
    Come on.

A belated sniff of the wind then some cursory brand massaging is only better than nothing if you're the brand with some tarnish you'd suddenly like gone.

It's the equivalent of staging a minute's silence for climate collapse during Earth Week then dusting your hands off 'job done' style.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

5. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

AFL platitudes are easy. Real action on gender-based violence is tougher but desperately needed

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ld-activations

..........The AFL sometimes likes to think it’s at the forefront of these national conversations. At the beginning of the pandemic, in front of cardboard cut-outs, its players took a knee for the Black Lives Matter movement. Again, nothing changed. If anything, the racist abuse directed at players like Eddie Betts got worse.

Taking a knee was easy. Raising a rainbow flag was easy. And linking arms is easy. But in the coming days, the AFL has a decision to make on the future of one of its players. In the current environment, it should be an easy decision. But right now, some of its most prominent voices are hedging. They um and ah their way through the language of pastoral care that so many modern coaches traffic in, all the while deferring to the old trope – the more talented the player, the greater the opportunity for redemption.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Would have been rather awkward this weekend if we appointed Laidley as our senior AFLW coach

Post Thanks / Like

John Ralph

Carey blocked from legend status after AFL intervention. Big story given the week’s events
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.