Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Fev's Dog call off the beam: Ratten

Not sure if any of you heard the Fev on radio on Sunday - after the game he took a swipe and labelled the Dogs as unaccountable - Eade this morning on SEN had a go back and Ratten then threw in his 10 cents...

Fev's Dog call off the beam: Ratten
    AFL Com
    By Jason Phelan
    Wed 30 July, 2008

CARLTON coach Brett Ratten has moved to diffuse a potential rift between his club and the Western Bulldogs after Brendan Fevola described Rodney Eade’s side as unaccountable following Sunday’s win.

"I didn’t hear Brendan’s comments, but I think the Bulldogs have been pretty accountable in their games and they’ve played some outstanding footy," Ratten said from Princes Park on Wednesday.

The Bulldogs’ coach fired back when he suggested, tongue in cheek, in a radio interview on Wednesday morning that Fev might not possess the greatest football brain; a summation Ratten didn’t agree with.

"I probably don’t think Brendan’s comments were right about the Bulldogs being unaccountable, but then Rodney’s comments about Brendan not knowing his stuff; he’s pretty smart on the footy side of things," he said.

"We didn’t speak about that in the rooms, but on the flip side I’d like Rodney to maybe have a chat to Brendan and see his footy brain because he’s very articulate in his football and what he knows about the game and his understanding of the game.

"I’d rather Brendan probably not comment on the Bulldogs though."

Ratten saw the good and the bad of his enigmatic full-forward at Telstra Dome against the Dogs.

His six-goal effort was a key factor in the win, but it came after he kicked just one major in a first half in which he had a certain goal taken off him thanks to a free kick paid to Brian Lake for a push.

"I would have rather he ran around him, kicked the goal and then maybe had a laugh," Ratten said.

"If he does something that’s not quite perfect we focus on it, replay and speak about it. Hopefully during that game we’d focus on all the good things he’s done. He had 11 shots on goal, he gave one off and when he’s on song he’s a very talented player.

"It’s a part of his character. He’s an extrovert and he plays with flair; do we want to restrict that? No. we just want to make sure that he’s focused on the team aspect of the game.

"What we saw in the second half of footy is a player that was nearly unstoppable."

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fev's Dog call off the beam: Ratten

I think Fevola calling anyone unaccountable is a bit like the pot calling the kettle black.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wynd Me Up View Post
    I think Fevola calling anyone unaccountable is a bit like the pot calling the kettle black.
    Spoke to my mate Stubbsy at the club today he mentioned they have all dismissed it as a 'non event' and those comments will be remembered. the club is not fussed.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I heard him interviewed after the game, the guy has no brains at all.

Did you hear what he said to the Bulldog trainer out on the ground. Aker told the story yesterday. Basically said, stick around your about to see a great show.

Post Thanks / Like

Blue's comments rile Bulldogs coach

AN UGLY spat erupted between Carlton and the Western Bulldogs yesterday after Brendan Fevola's stinging criticism of the Dogs. Blues coach Brett Ratten, in his weekly media conference, and Dogs counterpart Rodney Eade, in a radio interview, traded verbal barbs about the always controversial Fevola.

The Blues full-forward sparked the bushfire on Sunday after Carlton's stunning demolition of one of the competition's premiership fancies.

Fevola, who drilled six goals, said the Bulldogs played "unaccountable" football - a perception the Dogs have tried to dispel this season with greater attention to discipline and hardness at the ball and man.

Eade had first crack yesterday, returning fire on SEN Radio.

"Brendan Fevola, the oracle on football," Eade said sarcastically.

"I don't know whether Brendan knows much about footy, does he?

"He knows how to play full-forward. I wouldn't take much notice of Brendan. I don't know whether people do, do they?"

Ratten was quick to defend Fevola, whom the Blues want to re-sign at the end of the season when his contract expires.

Ratten admitted he would rather Fevola had not criticised the Dogs, but challenged suggestions his star full-forward lacked on-field nous.

"I would think maybe we should just leave comments about other clubs to someone else, not our blokes," Ratten said of Fevola.

"I would rather have Brendan probably not commenting on the Bulldogs.

"But I would like Rodney to maybe have a chat with Brendan and see his footy brain because he's very articulate at his football and what he knows about the game and his understanding of the game.

"I probably don't think Brendan's comments are right about the Bulldogs being unaccountable, but then Rodney's comments about Brendan not knowing his stuff is . . . he's pretty smart about the footy side of things, Brendan."

Ratten said the banter between Fevola and Eade helped to build a rivalry between the clubs.

He also said Fevola's off-the-cuff comments were central to his character.

"He's an extrovert and he plays with flair," Ratten said.

"Do we want to restrict that? No.

"We just want to make sure that it's focused in the team aspect of the game."
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Yes I heard him interviewed after the game, the guy has no brains at all.

Did you hear what he said to the Bulldog trainer out on the ground. Aker told the story yesterday. Basically said, stick around your about to see a great show.
    To which the trainer Kevin O/Neill replied "that would be a first"

Post Thanks / Like

Fevs over rating his performance. He did bugger all for about 2 and half quarters and then scored after being hit on the chest with passes from Judd and Co. It reminded me of Capper at the Swans with Healy Williams and Mitchell. I think Fev's about as smart as Capper too...

Post Thanks / Like

The guy is a tool. I would have rathered Eade not say a thing than get into a war of words with someone that can't string a sentence together.

Post Thanks / Like

I love this quote from Aker on the subject:

"I'll let you on my golden rule - and my golden rule is I don't respond to crap," Akermanis said, referring to Fevola's accusations on the weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

Fev's right, we were unaccountable for 1 and a half quarters on Sunday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    The guy is a tool. I would have rathered Eade not say a thing than get into a war of words with someone that can't string a sentence together.
    Rocket's been around long enough to know if you argue with fools they will drag you down to their level and then and beat you with experience.

How accountable was Fev with his piss-weak 'chase' on Lake just before half time which resulted directly in a goal to Murphy on the half-time siren

His performance on Saturday was the most over-rated game this year. He was the beneficiary of the great work up the field from Judd/Murphy/Stevens/Gibbs and co - 12 uncontested marks says it all. When all is said and done, he has an ego that constantly needs to be fed.