Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Baby Bomber to lead rucks

Baby Bomber to lead rucks

ESSENDON coach Matthew Knights has confirmed that 18-year-old Tasmanian Tom Bellchambers will lead the Bombers' ruck division on Friday night against the Western Bulldogs, with both David Hille and Jason Laycock to miss the match.

Bellchambers has played one senior game for Essendon this season after being taken in the 2008 NAB AFL pre-season draft.

Hille will miss the rest of the season with a broken hand sustained against Adelaide on the weekend, while Laycock is suffering from a floating bone in the ankle.

Scans on Monday confirmed both Hille's injury and a broken fibula for luckless defender Courtenay Dempsey. Dustin Fletcher (groin) is also out of contention for the Bulldogs clash.

"Tom is quite a solidly-built young man, but he is a development player who is 18 years old, so he is going to get a chance to ruck against a really good ruckman in [Ben] Hudson," Knights said.

Midfielder Jason Johnson will definitely return to the senior team after a long-term calf injury, as will Mark McVeigh (knee) if he gets through training. Heath Hocking also looks likely to return having missed last weekend.

"We have got a few issues with injuries, but they are the cards you are dealt and the 22 that run out have really got to represent the club well on Friday night," Knights said.

"It's on a big stage against a good side so we have just got to wind them up to play good footy. We will potentially have to look at a few first-gamers, but we will take a look at them today and make a call."

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Baby Bomber to lead rucks

Interesting..

Big that both their ruckman are injured..i think Laycock went up forward last time and dominated..

Would be damn dissapointed if we lose the ruck battle now..

Post Thanks / Like

Totally agree Mate. I think this game shapes as a really good opportunity for the team to regain form and confidence leading up to finals. They will be depleted and thus we need to smash them and show no mercy.

Post Thanks / Like

He was Bendigo's leading goal scorer last week. Only goal scorer that is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alexxx View Post
    i think Laycock went up forward last time and dominated..
    Laycock? Dominated?

Surely an oxymoron.

Post Thanks / Like

Ryder will ruck with him

Post Thanks / Like

God if we don't win this week, we may as well not go to Adelaide the following week and just hang around the MCG waiting for the finals to start.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Farren Ray FTW View Post
    Laycock? Dominated?

Surely an oxymoron.
    You'd think so, but he did give us a scare up there. I feel much better about this game without both Hille and Laycock to contend with. My only concern is keeping up with Ryder around the ground if he rucks.

Post Thanks / Like

We had the same feeling when Ling and Ablett were out :|

It's not like we have been losing to bottom 4 sides, we should not have a problem with Essendon..

Post Thanks / Like

It's not like we have been losing to bottom 4 sides, we should not have a problem with Essendon..

Great point made here Alexxx, every side we have played have been fighting for a top 8 spot.
    Do or die for them, oh yes they might look dangerous coming into finals but in effect how many "mini" finals can you play before it takes its toll.
    I think 5,6,7 and 8 will be spent by the time finals come, too busy being relieved to make it, than worry about actually going on with it.
    Essendon well they are so injury ridden i would be worried if we dont win well.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be shattered if we drop this game to Essendon......... I grew up in the area and they really are the empire of evil........

Post Thanks / Like

Bellchambers was the only bloke who kicked a goal against Willy on the weekend. Look forward to seeing how he goes on Friday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    Bellchambers was the only bloke who kicked a goal against Willy on the weekend. Look forward to seeing how he goes on Friday.

Hopefully the only player to kick a goal for Essendon
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me