Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hypothetically, if West did retire, who deserves #7

I love the thought, keep number 6 for a local boy, at least its some sort of local connection with players.
    Westy was an Essendon boy though and always wanted to go to the bombers.
    Number 6 i think, bulldog born and bred for Wardy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I love the thought, keep number 6 for a local boy, at least its some sort of local connection with players.
    Westy was an Essendon boy though and always wanted to go to the bombers.
    Number 6 i think, bulldog born and bred for Wardy.
    I think Ward was also a Bombers supporter growing up.

Post Thanks / Like

Well he doesnt get number 6 then. f%#k him.

Post Thanks / Like

Harbrow needs a lower number.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Harbrow needs a lower number.
    23??

Post Thanks / Like

I wish players would just play in the number they are originally allocated forever...Ward CHOSE 14 this past off-season. There were a number of available numbers for the incoming draft class, he chose 14...that is where he should stay.

I hated the way Everitt was given 3 last year...the corpse wasn't even cold.

I am with Sedat though. 19 should be PERMANENTLY retired at our footy club. Burn the thing in the middle of the oval in some kind of public ceremony - who would object to that?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    23??
    left footed jinx....oh that's probably not fair, Jordy had a few good years with us

Anyone hear this Richmond supporter on MMM after they beat Freo last weekend ranting 'I don't know why they persist in playing McMahon, he's gutless'

This was after they won mind you

And I completely agree with Jaz getting a lower number, and 7's not out of the question.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=mjp;52848]I wish players would just play in the number they are originally allocated forever...QUOTE]

This would have saved miles and miles of cotton back in the 80's when Mum's all over the world had to change the numbers on duffle coats when players swapped numbers.

Post Thanks / Like

i like the way Chris Grant handed the number three on to his chosen player....that has the nice ring of a new tradition, let Westy decide who gets his jumper!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Does it have to be a mid? What about Dale "The Glove" Morris?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I wish players would just play in the number they are originally allocated forever...Ward CHOSE 14 this past off-season. There were a number of available numbers for the incoming draft class, he chose 14...that is where he should stay.

I hated the way Everitt was given 3 last year...the corpse wasn't even cold.
    I have stated several times that the jumper of any player who has reach 300 games for us should be retired for a season. I wasn't that impressed with Everitt being handed the number 3 either.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

bit rough on Westy i think ledge yes he was a bomber going back but is as pure bred a bulldog as A have seen agree number 6 alsoi has strong western ties though i think number 7 being a 2 time 300 jumper along with number 3 has that something else
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

Post Thanks / Like

Would be a bit of a slap to Darce if he's jumper was handed back for West's

He was a club captain remember

Post Thanks / Like

I love what they did with the number 3. Throw it to a promising kid, and move on, although I'm not closed to the idea of giving 'special' numbers to more established players, if they request it.

I think some people have it backwards. Our 'special' numbers aren't a means of honouring our former players. It is all about the next guy who wears it. 'Here kid, we expect big things from you, good luck.' That the kid doesn't always turn out to be successfull is a part of what makes it romantic.

I think talk of short term 'retirement' of a number is nonsense. If you want to retire a number, and hang it from the rafters, American style, i could see some merit in it, but that does not suit the circumstances and traditions of Australian Football, and a short term retirement does not have any of the attractive characteristics of the American example.

I think allowing a player to play a role in a kind of ceremonial handing over of their number does a lot more to honour them than merely not having that number on the field for a season. The latter can only be a way to honour them if you assume that merely having someone else wearing the number dishonours them (which is absurd given our traditions), and even if you do assume that, the same has to apply in future years anyway, so its still pretty pointless without the element of permanency.

phroosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pembleton View Post
    I love what they did with the number 3. Throw it to a promising kid, and move on, although I'm not closed to the idea of giving 'special' numbers to more established players, if they request it.

I think some people have it backwards. Our 'special' numbers aren't a means of honouring our former players. It is all about the next guy who wears it. 'Here kid, we expect big things from you, good luck.' That the kid doesn't always turn out to be successfull is a part of what makes it romantic.

I think talk of short term 'retirement' of a number is nonsense. If you want to retire a number, and hang it from the rafters, American style, i could see some merit in it, but that does not suit the circumstances and traditions of Australian Football, and a short term retirement does not have any of the attractive characteristics of the American example.

I think allowing a player to play a role in a kind of ceremonial handing over of their number does a lot more to honour them than merely not having that number on the field for a season. The latter can only be a way to honour them if you assume that merely having someone else wearing the number dishonours them (which is absurd given our traditions), and even if you do assume that, the same has to apply in future years anyway, so its still pretty pointless without the element of permanency.
    More or less spot on. Ben Hart chose to "retire" his number and my overriding feeling was "w@nker".

Just for the sake of argument, my vote is for Addison.