Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bulldogs_6 Guest

2008 WAFL Grand Final-Possible draftees

Hi everyone,
    Ventured to Subi oval today to go watch the League grand final, so I didn't get there to watch any other youngsters in the Colts. The Swans in particular had a large amount of young talent, which overall lead to an inexperienced League side incapable of defeating Subiaco.

However at one stage the Swans youngsters gave Subi an almighty fright, lead by big Nicholas Naitanui, this kid will be an absolute star with further coaching and a few AFL pre-seasons. Anyway now for the reviews.

Nicholas Naitanui (Swan Districts)- Controlled the first half. Was extremely influential on both sides of the field and showcased just about everything a youngster proving his worth would like to do.
    I really cannot explain this but this big fella ran down one of the Subiaco players after starting atleast 15m behind, it was unbelievable, the pace of this giant along with his leap which drew awes from the crowd are nothing short of spectacular. Prior to this chase big Nic won 2-3 one-on-one contests on the opposition forwards which resulted in spoils or marks. About 10 minutes later he was moved forward and took a grab out in front and converted. Love the kid.

Daniel Rich (Subiaco)- Subiaco's one and only (correct me if I'm wrong) tremendous draft hopeful. Was benched at the start of the game but as soon as he came on I could have seriously mixed him up with a senior player if it wasn't for the build in which he makes his own or the blonde hair. This kid has freakish skills and is extremely strong in the hips, allowing him to stand up in tackles. To compliment this is his composure and decision making. Didn't get as much of the ball as I had expected (which is a little rough considering he is an 18 year old playing in a man's game), however when he got the ball he was always on the mark. Future star, and tremendous upside, could slot into a team straight away.

Clancee Pearce (Swan Districts)- Another one of the Swans mature bodied kids being thrown into the line up, which doesn't say much for what this kid can produce. Throws his body in on all costs, good decision making and reads the play well. Perhaps one of the less rated players in the draft however may I add he won WA's fairest and best award for the Under 18's competition. He is along with Rich strong in the hips and generally wraps tackles strongly. A very reliable half back and is a smokey IMO to slot into a team straight away next year due to his mature body and ball winning abilities (Bradd Dalziell of this draft). However on occasions his kicking lacks penetration and on occasions this causes turn overs.

Chris Yarran (Swan Districts)- Very, very good talent. However I am not completely convinced, as on occasions he may come across as lazy. He could on skills and talent alone be rated as a top 5 draft pick, however he is only good on the ball. Has the makings of a Cyril Rioli at ground level and a Josh Hill in a marking contest, but as the ball slips 15-20 metres away from him he appears very lazy and unaccountable. You would expect his Aboriginal blood would allow him to run down players from ridiculous distances away but in times like today he appeared lathargic and uninvolved, which would have been a downside for all the recruiters who went to the ground today. Mind you I saw the best of him last week where he kicked 4 goals, including 2 bananas from the boundary which he made them look easy.

Brett "Wolfy" Wolfendon (Swan Districts)-My smokie for this years draft. He is overraged and turning 20 next year, however this should not mean much as he is still a young talent and as he has shown today can match the more maturer aged players with his silk and precise kicking abilities. Has barely been mentioned as a possible draftee however I'm sure the recruiting managers would have liked what they saw today. The pony tail which he has does not do the way he plays justice, as he is in on every contest and tackles well. Can run and carry and is very capable of kicking a goal himself, kicked 2 today from what I can recall.

Note- Llane Spaanderman (Swan Districts) should be closely looked at by the Bulldogs. He is a ruckman who is above average for a ruckman in ruck contests, at ground level and in marking contests. Gathered a large amount of disposals today, many of which resulted in clearances. Brilliant kick also. Was released by Brisbane for attitude problems if what I have heard is correct, but a second chance will do him well.

I also would like to apologise for my lack of knowledge on Subiaco's young talent as I have not followed them as closely as my beloved Swannies So if anyone else could contribute it would be much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2008 WAFL Grand Final-Possible draftees

Thanks for the write up Bulldogs_6.

Regarding Llane Spaanderman, do you know if he has been staying focused on his footy? He was on Brisbane's list for a couple of years and they couldn't move him on quick enough and then West Coast rookied him for a season. Given that the local sides don't appear to be interested in him isn't a great sign. Having said that, I saw him play a few times last year on ABC2 and he still looked a decent prospect. I only get to see some odd highlights and he has been OK again.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldogs_6 View Post
    Note- Llane Spaanderman (Swan Districts) should be closely looked at by the Bulldogs. He is a ruckman who is above average for a ruckman in ruck contests, at ground level and in marking contests. Gathered a large amount of disposals today, many of which resulted in clearances. Brilliant kick also. Was released by Brisbane for attitude problems if what I have heard is correct, but a second chance will do him well.
    Thanks for the write up B6.

Hasn't Spaanderman already had a 2nd chance. I seem to recall West Coast rookieing him.

Edit: GVGjr answered my question.

Bulldogs_6 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Thanks for the write up Bulldogs_6.

Regarding Llane Spaanderman, do you know if he has been staying focused on his footy? He was on Brisbane's list for a couple of years and they couldn't move him on quick enough and then West Coast rookied him for a season. Given that the local sides don't appear to be interested in him isn't a great sign. Having said that, I saw him play a few times last year on ABC2 and he still looked a decent prospect. I only get to see some odd highlights and he has been OK again.
    Do not know him personally but my sister's friend is best mates with him, and she says he is quite the shy kid although he has been involved in one or two stuff ups off-field. However he is still very much into his footy and from what I know he is still wanting opportunities.

As for his previous stints at Brisbane and West Coast I suppose it comes down to the fact that he is like any other young ruckman who has struggled when rushed into the side. He has definitely bulked up and his finding the ball more from what I can recall at the beginning of the year so IMO he still has further upside.

Post Thanks / Like

Do not know him personally but my sister's friend is best mates with him, and she says he is quite the shy kid although he has been involved in one or two stuff ups off-field. However he is still very much into his footy and from what I know he is still wanting opportunities.

As for his previous stints at Brisbane and West Coast I suppose it comes down to the fact that he is like any other young ruckman who has struggled when rushed into the side. He has definitely bulked up and his finding the ball more from what I can recall at the beginning of the year so IMO he still has further upside.
    I suppose no bad news is good news on the attitude front. I'm not against adding a decent more mature aged ruckman to the list as an added insurance policy and I tend to keep an eye out for his name when reading the results in the WAFL. He had plenty of potential a few seasons back and if he is once again focused on making it at the elite level then he could be worth a shot with a late pick.

Even if he didn't make the most of the next opportunity it's not like it would cost any club too much.

Post Thanks / Like

So the theory is if they are tall and they breath should they be considered by the Bulldogs?
    Fortunately (well I hope) this quick fix mentality is not shared by the club.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I very much compare Laane to Lawry Angwin.

If Lethal (and Voss, Scott boys etc) and Woosha can't belt him straight, then i'm happy to just wish him well in the WAFL.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

Regarding Llane Spaanderman.
    He has had a few 'off-field' issues.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    He has had a few 'off-field' issues.
    Yes I did a search yesterday and found a few articles that didn't paint a good picture for him.

Bulldogs_6 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieSigley View Post
    So the theory is if they are tall and they breath should they be considered by the Bulldogs?
    Fortunately (well I hope) this quick fix mentality is not shared by the club.
    Yeah take it easy. You get to judge the kid when you see the kid, I like the way he plays, and I think he's worth a late pick or so. If he stuffs up kick him out, simple. In my opinion he can offer more around the ground then a Will Minson.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah take it easy. You get to judge the kid when you see the kid, I like the way he plays, and I think he's worth a late pick or so. If he stuffs up kick him out, simple. In my opinion he can offer more around the ground then a Will Minson.
    I have no idea what Laane is like but this will be his 3rd club and hasn't exactly done anything yet. Offers more around the ground Minson? So one aspect of his game is better, not that its one difficult to match and still a debatable one too.
    Campbell is the other. The any dud will do theory.
    No offence to the WAFL but its no better than the VFL here and we don't take players from there.

Post Thanks / Like

I have no idea what Laane is like but this will be his 3rd club and hasn't exactly done anything yet. Offers more around the ground Minson? So one aspect of his game is better, not that its one difficult to match and still a debatable one too.
    No offence to the WAFL but its no better than the VFL here and we don't take players from there.
    Hudson and Aaron Davey both came from the VFL
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by strebla View Post
    Hudson and Aaron Davey both came from the VFL
    2 out of how many?

Post Thanks / Like

Harry Taylor and Brad Dalziell both came from the WAFL last year, mature agers drafted and played AFL this year....

Bulldogs_6 Guest

I know what you're saying and always love to hear your opinion however Llane has improved dramatically this year after his move from East Perth to Swan Districts. Take my word for it I have seen him a lot, I'm not saying he will offer us more than anyone else we can pick up but I'd definitely chew up a late pick for him, just as another chance and if he stuffs up again he's out.

If you're not happy with that I think we should agree to disagree

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.