Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Hall is the Bulldogs' go-to man

Hall is the Bulldogs' go-to man

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/new...935546194.html

THE Western Bulldogs have unofficially approached controversial Sydney spearhead Barry Hall as their search for a big key forward intensifies in the lead-up to next month's trade week.

Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade is believed to have communicated his interest to the 31-year-old, who is contracted to the Swans until the end of next year but is pushing for a one-year contract extension he is unlikely to receive until the 2009 season is underway.

While Hall finished 2008 in good form and injury-free, he became disenchanted with his club for a significant period after it suspended him for two weeks in July after he struck Collingwood's Shane Wakelin.

That incident took place in Hall's third game back from a seven-match suspension for knocking out West Coast's Brent Staker in round four.

The Swans said Hall's personal problems had caused him such emotional distress that he had become a potential liability on the field.

While the Swans have not completely ruled out a trade, the stumbling block for the Bulldogs, who would have to offer Hall a two-year contract to secure him, is his pay packet, estimated at about $500,000 for season 2009.

Against that is Sydney's unwillingness to extend Hall's contract until he has proved his body will stand up to another pre-season and beyond.

The Bulldogs refused to comment yesterday but it is believed that Eade spoke on the telephone with Hall last weekend.

Sydney football boss Andrew Ireland told The Age the club had received no approach from the Bulldogs and refused to comment further.

But the Bulldogs' search for a key forward, Hall's situation at Sydney and Kangaroo Nathan Thompson's forced retirement have provided the ingredients for one of the more intriguing scenarios of trade week.

Hall told The Age after the Swans' finals campaign finished: "Recently, we (Hall and his manager) approached the club about my longer-term future, beyond this contract, but we haven't heard back yet.

"I guess I'll hear back in the coming weeks, but I understand the club's point of view, and they might want to sit and wait and see how my form and everything is going before doing anything.

"Besides the actual incidents and the games I missed, I thought my form this year has been pretty good.

"I still think I've got a lot to offer as far as footy goes, but if my form drops off, I'll be the first to put my hand up and concede I might be past it."

The Bulldogs' loss to Geelong in the first preliminary final last Friday night again underlined the club's glaring vacancy in the forward line.

Eade and his match committee will also approach Thompson, who was delisted by North Melbourne last week after contract talks were placed on hold.

Although Thompson, 30, has stated he will retire, the Bulldogs believe he could be persuaded to continue his AFL career at a third club.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hall is the Bulldogs' go-to man

I really hope we get Hall signed up. He is just what we need - an experienced, big full forward who will take the young guys around him under his wing. We would get 2 years out of him, and make a full on push for the premiership. I wouldnt hesitate to go all out for him.

Offer up Ray/Skipper/Street and a 3rd round pick - i reckon (hope) Sydney may be keen to free up some salary cap space.

B: Morris Lake Addison
    HB: Hargrave Williams Gilbee
    C: Cross Boyd Ward
    HF: Aker Hahn Murphy
    F: Harbrow Hall Johnson

R: Hudson Griffen Cooney

Int: Hill Minson Giansiracusa Higgins

Emg: Everitt Tiller Eagleton Wight Reid