Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

West and Street Delisted

Just heard from Sandy, will be on news tonight, channel Seven
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: West and Street Delisted

I hope we give the great man a role at the club working with the midfield.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Sad news for West, I wouldn't have minded him being given the chance to prove he was over his injury before he was delisted.

Post Thanks / Like

Channel 10 reporting Scott West has parted company!!!
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by funked View Post
    Sad news for West, I wouldn't have minded him being given the chance to prove he was over his injury before he was delisted.
    Turns 34 in November, realistically, will he ever be the same. Has been a great champion at our club and its a bloody shame if we don't get to give him a send off.

Post Thanks / Like

Sad news.. but not unexpected. If Eade made the hard call on Grant last year.. I can't see him being sentimental with Westy.
    One of my all time faves, Westy, and it will be very weird not seeing him in the Red White and Blue again.
    I really hope the club offers him a role at the club, I think he's got alot to offer.

Post Thanks / Like

What?! Delisted? Didn't even give him the honour of retiring? What BS.

katemeehan Guest

Geez he needs a good send-off, with him being told hes not needed before he can announce it himself.

Post Thanks / Like

It hasn't been officially announced yet but it is disappointing that it has been leaked out. Would have been nice to have allowed him to retire.

Post Thanks / Like

Bit harsh on a 7 time best and fairest of the club. I just hope the Bulldogs will be offering him some kind of role at the club if he wants one.

Post Thanks / Like

Delisted? Surely not?

I'd be pretty disappointed if he went out this way but I'm sure the media outlets are putting a little spin on things. It sounds like a simialr situation to Grant last year.

Post Thanks / Like

If his knee is buggered and he won't admit it?
    I don't think the Grant decision was wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

cut throat business now

Post Thanks / Like

Still, it seems a clumbsy way to release the information. The way its being reported its as if it was a VERY one sided conversation, which I doubt it was.

At the end of the day, would Scott West have got us over the line against the Cats? Is he going to be a guy who will come back in and get us over the line next year? If Scott retires does this create a spot for Ward, Harbrow, Addison, Reid?

It is a VERY cutthroat business. Scott, thanks for the memories!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieSigley View Post
    If his knee is buggered and he won't admit it?
    I don't think the Grant decision was wrong.
    Agree Ernie.. I think Westy was always going to be in trouble given the fact he could not get back on the AFL field during the season following his injury, and also given how well we performed in his absence. Then on top of that the nature of the injury and his age.
    There is no room for sentimentality these days in footy.. and it is a bit sad, but it is a reality.
    List sizes and salary cap issues make it almost impossible to give a player a spot on the list who is not young and developing and may or may not get on the park due to injuries.

Maybe there is scope for the AFL to allow each club to have extra spots on the list for a player (s) over 33 where that player has played more than 250 games or 10 years for the club he is at.

The player would still count toward the salary cap, and having a 10 year or 250 game rule at the same club would prevent teams from nabbing a bunch of veterans in addition to their normal squad.