Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: West and Street Delisted

Sad to see Westy go, has been the ultimate club man and gave his all this year to make a come back. I bet it's a very disappointing and upsetting time for Scott, but probably the right decision for the club at this stage.

I wish Westy all the best for the future and hope to see him stay involved with the club over the coming years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Maybe there is scope for the AFL to allow each club to have extra spots on the list for a player (s) over 33 where that player has played more than 250 games or 10 years for the club he is at.
    There is. It's called the veterans list & Westy is on it.

They have to have been at the club for at least 10 years & be 30 years old.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    These players still count as being 'on the list' though, don't they? (perhaps my understanding is wrong). I believed the only benefit of being on the veterans list was that only half your salary got included in the cap?

Post Thanks / Like

Delisted? I hope not! You cant DELIST a club legend, it'd have to be his decision? If not, ouch.

I love Westy, thanks for the memories.

Post Thanks / Like

They have to have been at the club for at least 10 years & be 30 years old.
    OK. So that players spot doesn't count towards the overall list number and is therefore not taking a spot that would otherwise go to someone else?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    These players still count as being 'on the list' though, don't they? (perhaps my understanding is wrong). I believed the only benefit of being on the veterans list was that only half your salary got included in the cap?
    Thats what I thought, but not sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post
    What?! Delisted? Didn't even give him the honour of retiring? What BS.
    My sentiments exactly
    I bleed Red,White & Blue

Post Thanks / Like

No, they don't count on the list.

You can have 38 players on the list plus a combination of 6 veterans/rookies. So if you have 1 veteran you can have 5 rookies.

The % of salary attributable towards the salary cap is determined by the number of veterans. If you have 2 it's 50%, if you have 3 veterans then 33% of each of their salaries would be outside the salary cap.

All the above is expected to change as part of the AFL & the AFLPA's collective bargaining agreement. It will be replaced with a form of limited free agency.

Post Thanks / Like

No, they don't count on the list.

You can have 38 players on the list plus a combination of 6 veterans/rookies. So if you have 1 veteran you can have 5 rookies.

The % of salary attributable towards the salary cap is determined by the number of veterans. If you have 2 it's 50%, if you have 3 veterans then 33% of each of their salaries would be outside the salary cap.

All the above is expected to change as part of the AFL & the AFLPA's collective bargaining agreement. It will be replaced with a form of limited free agency.
    Ok, that makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up.

A bit of guess work, but the club must have decided that it again wants 4 rookies and have decided to include Akermanis on the veterans list this year, at the expense of Westy.
    Last edited by Go_Dogs; 23-09-2008 at 07:48 PM. Reason: damn uni computers w/ no spell check!

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up.

A bit of guess work, but the club must have decided that it again wants 4 rookies and therefore have deicded to include Akermanis on the veterans list this year, at the expense of Westy.
    I'm certain Aker can't be on the list. I think Ealeton would be next if he's around.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 42-C-3 View Post
    I'm certain Aker can't be on the list. I think Ealeton would be next if he's around.
    Eagle is still only 29, I believe.

Post Thanks / Like

So long you champion. You were the most important part of the midfield and a great leader who deserved a Brownlow.

And West was pretty good too.

Post Thanks / Like

Eagle is still only 29, I believe.
    Yeah that's what i mean, he would be next in two years.

If he is around that long. Me gets a feeling, he doesn't have 2 or 3 years with us. Just an inkling.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Cut throat business indeed

Hope the club treated West with the sensitivity his situation deserved

Imagine salary cap would be an issue considering we are chasing Hall, plus some of our other out-of-contract blokes would have been given a pay rise given the good year we had.

Post Thanks / Like

Doogs, West and Streety.

Now for Three more!