Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

West Press Conference - 11am today

Stand by, West and Eade.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: West Press Conference - 11am today

Should be quite interesting...maybe a bit worrying at his reaction.

Post Thanks / Like

I cant get internet streaming or radio reception

What was/is being said?

Post Thanks / Like

Heard bit's of it on SEN.

West sounded bitterly disappointed with the decision that his career couldn't continue with the Bulldogs, he thought he had something to offer. I didn't actually hear anything about him retiring only that he had to still decide with his family what direction he takes. Thanked the playing group & staff and said that he had thoroughly enjoyed his time at the club which started with the U/19's in 1990.

Eade said it was a very tough decision, but he thought that it was the right time as he wants to continue to develop the young midfielder's.

Johnson said that West has been a great player at the club, a great leader and would be sorely missed.

Post Thanks / Like

cheers Mantis

Post Thanks / Like

If i read between the lines, West didn't want to retire and forced the clubs hand?

Eade's choice must be respected. The handling by the club not so, but if they want to blood Ward and Reid, West can't be a fixture in 2009.

If West refused to walk, than perhaps the clubs handling is not all their fault?

If i read between the lines correctly.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

A few people have said to me today we've been rough on West - it's BS - his knee's been rough on him.

The way I see it, there are two options.

He plays another year, or

He doesn't

What do you do when his knee clearly isn't up to AFL standard anymore but he hasn't accepted it? What more could the club do to 'handle this better'?

Feel bad for him, his aerobic fitness and form were never in question - 3 votes round 2, and 30 touches for Williamstown on one leg - he's a freak. It's such a damn shame the knee has finished his career.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    A few people have said to me today we've been rough on West - it's BS - his knee's been rough on him.

The way I see it, there are two options.

He plays another year, or

He doesn't

What do you do when his knee clearly isn't up to AFL standard anymore but he hasn't accepted it? What more could the club do to 'handle this better'?

Feel bad for him, his aerobic fitness and form were never in question - 3 votes round 2, and 30 touches for Williamstown on one leg - he's a freak. It's such a damn shame the knee has finished his career.
    In all fairness to the great man there is a massive difference between the VFL and the AFL just ask Street.

Post Thanks / Like

Reflective West accepts axing
    September 24, 2008

WESTERN Bulldogs great Scott West says he is slowly coming to terms with being told he is no longer a wanted player at the AFL club.

The 33-year-old seven-time best and fairest admitted he angrily cut short Tuesday's meeting in which coach Rodney Eade broke the news to him, after he had hoped to play on.

"(I felt) sadness, a little bit of anger, but some genuine sadness because playing football and playing at this football club has meant so much to me over so many years," West told reporters.

"It's inevitable your career's going to end, I honestly didn't think it would be yesterday, but it happens to everyone.

"The meeting was cut a little bit short because of the emotions that I had.

"I was able to go home and reflect and just gather my thoughts."

Eade said it was the toughest message he had had to deliver in his time in football and he rated West as a true champion of the club.

But, with the 324-game veteran restricted to just four games this year by a knee injury, and with younger players pushing their way into an already deep midfield, he said the decision was in the Bulldogs' best interests.

AAP
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

You can watch some of the video on the http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/ site

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    You can watch some of the video on the http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/ site
    Thanks for the link BR. Not quite sure how to feel about all this at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like

Sandy just said on the 7 News that West is expected to eventually move into a coaching role.