Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I don't like it, but I 100% respect it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    WTF?????? Scott West gave more for the club than any one of us meatheads, and had earned the right many, many times over to go out on his terms. If we got sacked from our respective jobs at Hungry Jacks or Mcdonald's we would be oh-so-cut, but we somehow feel that we have the right to think less of Westy because he couldn't come to terms within 5 minutes of being sacked from a club he has been the best player at for 8 of the last 10 years? D***HEADS, each and every one of us who is putting this on Westy's head.

Listen, we are the only club in the league that can't get our act together off the field to honour our champions appropriately. I don't mean meaningless, trite superficial stuff, but real, deep, honouring stuff; the stuff that champion clubs do so well. Let's not shy away from the fact that maybe 54 years of constant and utter failure must have some strong cultural factors, and this is clearly a symptom of it.. that Grant and West aren't seen in the same light as your Hirds, Harveys, and even Buckleys is no one's fault but the club's and its PR department. How we can think that this is somehow an appropriate way to treat the best clubman we've had in over 50 years tells me all I need to know about the culture of this club.

AND WE DARE WONDER WHY OUR PLAYERS DON'T ALWAYS GIVE THEIR ALL.
    No one blames West but he didn't handle it as well as I would have expected from a champion like him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    No one blames West but he didn't handle it as well as I would have expected from a champion like him.
    You ever been sacked from a job that you've been at for 17 years.
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly. We're not knifing him, just saying he also handled it poorly.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aker39 View Post
    You ever been sacked from a job that you've been at for 17 years.
    Not 17 yet. So no.

However I'd think of being an AFL footballer as more than a job. If you last 17 years then you should count yourself lucky that you've been so fortunate to be picked up and not get injured etc.

What makes it hard is his passion for the club but he should want the club to ultimately be successful. Grant realized/was told it may not be with him and left gracefully. West is seeing it from his point of view ATM and feels harshly done which is still more than understandable, but doesn't match the standards he has set himself for most of his career.

Post Thanks / Like

Hard for any of us to understand.
    West has given everything, body and soul to the club.
    He did deserve at least to have bit of time to take it all in and decide how he the club announce it.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    Hard for any of us to understand.
    West has given everything, body and soul to the club.
    He did deserve at least to have bit of time to take it all in and decide how he the club announce it.
    That's not the clubs fault. Speculation was rife that West had been given the arse on Tuesday afternoon/ evening. The club had no option but to put out a media release confirming this news.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Petergm;58312]This episode just reinforces what an absolute champion Chris Grant was for our club.

He was told last year that the time was up and if he played on his chances would be limited. What did Chris do? He did exactly what everyone knew he would .... and that was to go out without any fuss and bother.QUOTE]

You are right Chris Grant was an absolute champion, but i believe he was going to play on.
    It was only that his baby was ill and he chose to do the right thing by his family.

Post Thanks / Like

However I'd think of being an AFL footballer as more than a job.

Exactly, all the more reason for him to be upset.
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Shorty View Post
    I hope he does keep going at another club if he can. Good luck to him.
    After a few days have passed he will be able to make his decision about what he wants to do, whatever that may be good luck to him and I wish him the best. I am grateful that I got to watch Scotty West's career from Day 1.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post

You are right Chris Grant was an absolute champion, but i believe he was going to play on.
    It was only that his baby was ill and he chose to do the right thing by his family.
    I remember his child being sick, but I don't think that had anything to do with him not playing on. As far as I can recall, he put his hand up for '08 on the basis he would play predominately forward, but the club decided it wasn't in its best interests for Chris to continue playing.

I understand the anger for Westy - it's a tough situation, and both sides have a fair case.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    I remember his child being sick, but I don't think that had anything to do with him not playing on. As far as I can recall, he put his hand up for '08 on the basis he would play predominately forward, but the club decided it wasn't in its best interests for Chris to continue playing.

I understand the anger for Westy - it's a tough situation, and both sides have a fair case.
    I could be wrong.
    I remember (ironically) Scott West mentioning it on the footy show or at a selection night.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aker39 View Post
    Exactly, all the more reason for him to be upset.
    That he's been given an opportunity few people will ever receive in their life?

His reaction is understandable but disappointing at the same time.

western cookie Guest

lets face it, Westy is a champion of the club and as a person and while the timing could have been better it is the right decision. AFL is a young mans game these days, Johnno,Eago,Welsh,Huddo all on the wrong side of 30 and we need the likes of Ward,Reid,and Grant to get serious game time next year. Degenerative knees need time to truly heal, the one thing not on Westys side.