Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I don't like it, but I 100% respect it.

The only thing the club did poorly was not wait another week at least. The timing was poor and Im sure the club didn't want it to be leaked out like that but at the end of the day he was finished.

I, for the life of me cannot understand how people can claim that he would have been an asset next year. He hasn't played a game for about 20 rounds and looked like he could barely walk when he played that game for Willy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    In a perfect world what you say makes sense, but does anyone really believe discussions could have taken place over a period of time without it leaking out? Never would have worked.
    It would have only leaked out because they rushed it in the first place. There is no such thing as the perfect world however, in the wash up of this we have disrespected a club stalwart with the way it was managed and this is not something that will be lost on a lot of supporters nor his team mates.

Once the meeting wasn't going to the plan or as the hoped they should have agreed to reconvene and given him 48hrs to have a rethink. I still can't get over the accolades that Harvey enjoyed on Monday night and the blunt DCM that was delivered to West.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It would have only leaked out because they rushed it in the first place. There is no such thing as the perfect world however, in the wash up of this we have disrespected a club stalwart with the way it was managed and this is not something that will be lost on a lot of supporters nor his team mates.

Once the meeting wasn't going to the plan or as the hoped they should have agreed to reconvene and given him 48hrs to have a rethink. I still can't get over the accolades that Harvey enjoyed on Monday night and the blunt DCM that was delivered to West.
    Yep just put the meeting on hold for a day or 2 and give him more time to think about it.

What do you mean by DCM?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Yep just put the meeting on hold for a day or 2 and give him more time to think about it.

What do you mean by DCM?
    DCM = Don't come Monday. A lot of people used to have their employment terminated on a Friday.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    So every club champion should leave on their terms? We would have some stubborn footballers who think they can etch one more season out.
    If West played ahead of Ward next year, would you be happy?
    The timing was unfortunate given the amount of games he missed this year
    A champion player with 7 b & f's to his name, that can never be tacken away from him.
    You mis-understand what I am saying ... To be told three weeks before the end of season so that you can enjoy your last few weeks knowing your career is culminating ... then, in your final game, chaired from the ground by you friends and team mates (ala Robert Harvey)

To me, that is leaving on your terms ... the way a champion should leave a club REGARDLESS OF WHETHER THEY CHOOSE TO PLAY ON WITH ANOTHER CLUB OR NOT

NOT, sitting on the boundary line for 18 weeks wondering if the club you love wants you to go around one more year ... wondering if you body could take one more season... wishing you were out on the field ... declaring your wish to play on and leave with dignity ... only to be told your services are no longer required.

I am not saying the Bulldogs took this away from Westy ... And I am not saying he should have played next year.

What I am saying is that fate dealt Westy a cruel blow and I wish he could have left the club the way every champion should ... TO THE APPLAUSE OF HIS FANS !!
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post

What do you mean by DCM?
    Personally I was surprised the meeting took place. When the club said they were going to sit down with West and discuss his future, I thought it would have happened in October, well after the Grand Final etc.

I agree it was all too rushed, even though the end result would have been the same ie not playing on next year, but it may have given West some time to think and maybe retire with dignity.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

This episode just reinforces what an absolute champion Chris Grant was for our club.

He was told last year that the time was up and if he played on his chances would be limited. What did Chris do? He did exactly what everyone knew he would .... and that was to go out without any fuss and bother.

Unfortunately, Westy didnt do this and there has been plenty of negative media today. Similar negative publicity occurred with Douggie and Libba.

Just a pity they all couldnt have been dignified like Granty last year, or Harvey at the Saints and Burns at the Pies this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Petergm View Post
    This episode just reinforces what an absolute champion Chris Grant was for our club.

He was told last year that the time was up and if he played on his chances would be limited. What did Chris do? He did exactly what everyone knew he would .... and that was to go out without any fuss and bother.

Unfortunately, Westy didnt do this and there has been plenty of negative media today. Similar negative publicity occurred with Douggie and Libba.

Just a pity they all couldnt have been dignified like Granty last year, or Harvey at the Saints and Burns at the Pies this year.
    Excellent point.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Petergm View Post

Can't agree more. And while West will always be a champ to me his image has slightly worsened

Post Thanks / Like

WTF?????? Scott West gave more for the club than any one of us meatheads, and had earned the right many, many times over to go out on his terms. If we got sacked from our respective jobs at Hungry Jacks or Mcdonald's we would be oh-so-cut, but we somehow feel that we have the right to think less of Westy because he couldn't come to terms within 5 minutes of being sacked from a club he has been the best player at for 8 of the last 10 years? D***HEADS, each and every one of us who is putting this on Westy's head.

Listen, we are the only club in the league that can't get our act together off the field to honour our champions appropriately. I don't mean meaningless, trite superficial stuff, but real, deep, honouring stuff; the stuff that champion clubs do so well. Let's not shy away from the fact that maybe 54 years of constant and utter failure must have some strong cultural factors, and this is clearly a symptom of it.. that Grant and West aren't seen in the same light as your Hirds, Harveys, and even Buckleys is no one's fault but the club's and its PR department. How we can think that this is somehow an appropriate way to treat the best clubman we've had in over 50 years tells me all I need to know about the culture of this club.

AND WE DARE WONDER WHY OUR PLAYERS DON'T ALWAYS GIVE THEIR ALL.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    Listen, we are the only club in the league that can't get our act together off the field to honour our champions appropriately. I don't mean meaningless, trite superficial stuff, but real, deep, honouring stuff; the stuff that champion clubs do so well. Let's not shy away from the fact that maybe 54 years of constant and utter failure must have some strong cultural factors, and this is clearly a symptom of it.. that Grant and West aren't seen in the same light as your Hirds, Harveys, and even Buckleys is no one's fault but the club's and its PR department. How we can think that this is somehow an appropriate way to treat the best clubman we've had in over 50 years tells me all I need to know about the culture of this club.
    Lantern, you have put it up there. How do the other clubs honour their champions in a manner that we dont.

FWIW, Scott appears to have quelled his anger when he stormed out of the meeting with Rocket and is today probably regretting the public awareness of his response.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I hope we do have a proper send off for West. There was nothing for Chris, Smith's was belated, Darcy I can't remember anything?

The minimum is a first round match, lap of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

Done now, but I 100% don't like it, and don't respect it.

If he had to go, and who knows, surely it didn't need to be like this. Shoved out at the end of the season with a dismal press conference. Thanks for playing. On your bike. Long service deserves better, in any workplace. And footy clubs are a different kind of workplace, we are not running the Macquarie Bank here. Call it sentimentality or call it due respect, it is a valid part of decision-making in this case.

How would Johnson feel, knowing that this is the sort of inglorious exit he has in store for him very soon?

Uncharitably, I can't help but suspect that a part of Eade enjoys making the 'tough decision', appearing like a hard-nosed crash through type of guy.

West's emotional response is entirely understandable. I hope he does keep going at another club if he can. Good luck to him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Shorty View Post

West's emotional response is entirely understandable. I hope he does keep going at another club if he can. Good luck to him.
    I don't. It just didn't feel right when Doug did it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Shorty View Post
    Done now, but I 100% don't like it, and don't respect it.

If he had to go, and who knows, surely it didn't need to be like this. Shoved out at the end of the season with a dismal press conference. Thanks for playing. On your bike. Long service deserves better, in any workplace. And footy clubs are a different kind of workplace, we are not running the Macquarie Bank here. Call it sentimentality or call it due respect, it is a valid part of decision-making in this case.

How would Johnson feel, knowing that this is the sort of inglorious exit he has in store for him very soon?

Uncharitably, I can't help but suspect that a part of Eade enjoys making the 'tough decision', appearing like a hard-nosed crash through type of guy.

Besides the fact that his dismissal was leaked how would you have liked it to be handled?