Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2008 Delistings

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2008 Delistings

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I do agree with your points, as the midfield is a vital area for us and we need to give a go to some of our young up and coming midielders.

I would like to see Ward, Reid, O'Keefe, Addison, given ago in the midfield at some stage. Plus Higgins is also a potential midfielder.
    Yep I agree... Bye bye Eagleton

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by borgy View Post
    My turn to bat.

Aker, Hudson, Johnson and to a lesser extent Welsh all play vital roles in our team whereas Eagle doesnt. We have ready made replacements for Eagle in Hawbrow, Hill and Higgins and im sure they could do a greater job than Eagle has done in the past.
    Aker has already said next year will be his last, Welsh hasn't said it but he is really just keeping Grant's spot warm for a few months and I doubt he'd be at the club in 2010.

Eagle is an interesting one - I don't think he is quite as bad as others make out, however he does play a role that can be filled by others given a solid pre-season (gut-running assist player). I can't seee another club taking a 29/30 y.o. that isn't a genuine match-winner.

Honestly, who'd take Eagle for 2 years over Cousins for 2 years? They'd cost the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    West's knee injury wasn't given as the reason for him being delisted. It was opportunities for younger players. I doubt he'd still be considering playing on for someone else if his knee was the single reason to stop him from playing for us. They would keep West over Eagleton because he is a champion of our club who would put in 100% every time he walked on the field. If they keep Eagleton, therefore denying opportunities to young players now, then they are just being hypocritical.
    West and Eagleton play completely differernt roles in the team. West = inside midfielder who's strength is getting in and under packs and dishing the ball out to running players like Eagleton. Eagleton's role in the team is about receiving the ball, running the lines and kicking long goals on the run or hitting a forward inside 50. they play a different game.

West's problem was that we have Cross, Boyd, Cooney, Griffin and Harbrow who can play his position effectively and have guys like Reid, Stack and Ward looking to step up in 2009 and 2010. Eagleton's luck is that that he is really not being pressured by yonger guys, especially now with Ray asking for a trade.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    West and Eagleton play completely differernt roles in the team. West = inside midfielder who's strength is getting in and under packs and dishing the ball out to running players like Eagleton. Eagleton's role in the team is about receiving the ball, running the lines and kicking long goals on the run or hitting a forward inside 50. they play a different game.

West's problem was that we have Cross, Boyd, Cooney, Griffin and Harbrow who can play his position effectively and have guys like Reid, Stack and Ward looking to step up in 2009 and 2010. Eagleton's luck is that that he is really not being pressured by yonger guys, especially now with Ray asking for a trade.
    Eagleton's problem though is that for a large portion of this year he wasn't particularly effective at his role. I'm sure we have some young guys who would be worth a crack at a hard running/receiving role. I just think that what we lose by not having Eagleton, based on the last half of this year, is something we can live with if it means a guy like Ward, Stack or O'Keefe gets a more regular shot at senior footy.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Eagleton's problem though is that for a large portion of this year he wasn't particularly effective at his role. I'm sure we have some young guys who would be worth a crack at a hard running/receiving role. I just think that what we lose by not having Eagleton, based on the last half of this year, is something we can live with if it means a guy like Ward, Stack or O'Keefe gets a more regular shot at senior footy.
    Perhaps a fair bit will depend on where Everitt plays next year - he could well play a hard-running, link-type role as his disposal is quite good and he makes good decisions when he gets teh pill.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Perhaps a fair bit will depend on where Everitt plays next year - he could well play a hard-running, link-type role as his disposal is quite good and he makes good decisions when he gets teh pill.
    Harbrow also showed in the prelim that he could be effective up the field and while he doesn't have Eagleton's long range kicking ability he is quite capable of running the lines, hitting a target and, ahem, tackling and pressuring.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me