Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The Rookie Situation

With West gone, I think that frees up a fifth rookie spot?

I must admit i'm not across our rookies this year. Who deserves another go and any kids (i.e. O'Shea) deserve a rookie spot?

I think we should get as many as possible, and I think we will.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Rookie Situation

Mulligan may get another shot?
    Shaw unlikely?
    White unlikely?
    Hughes left early.

Rookie O'Shea, giving us two free spots.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Mulligan may get another shot?
    Shaw unlikely?
    White unlikely?
    Hughes left early.

Rookie O'Shea, giving us two free spots.
    Mulligan should be maintained on the list.
    I don't mind Henry White and think he improved a fair bit over the season.

Paul O'Shea is an interesting one because early in the season he looked likely to improve but towards the end of the season he was struggling. I think the rookie list is a decent option for him.

What about Lynch to the Rookie list? We know he has the talent but perhaps this would be the spur to get him motivated.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Mulligan should be maintained on the list.
    I don't mind Henry White and think he improved a fair bit over the season.

Paul O'Shea is an interesting one because early in the season he looked likely to improve but towards the end of the season he was struggling. I think the rookie list is a decent option for him.

What about Lynch to the Rookie list? We know he has the talent but perhaps this would be the spur to get him motivated.
    I like that GVG. Is it right we can get a fifth as West has vacated a spot resevered for vet's/rook's?

Allowing us to get another kid?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 42-C-3 View Post
    I like that GVG. Is it right we can get a fifth as West has vacated a spot resevered for vet's/rook's?

Allowing us to get another kid?
    You can have 44 players on your list which includes rookies and veterans so I think we could have a 5th rookie however, I really don't think it is necessary. 4 is more than enough.

Post Thanks / Like

You can have 44 players on your list which includes rookies and veterans so I think we could have a 5th rookie however, I really don't think it is necessary. 4 is more than enough.
    Any thoughts on Wayde Mills delisted from Brisbane.

21 years, 196cm and 90kg.

Former QLD u/18 captain.

Post Thanks / Like

Any thoughts on Wayde Mills delisted from Brisbane.

21 years, 196cm and 90kg.

Former QLD u/18 captain.
    He played one game this year in a team that had Merrett (I like him though) and the undersized Patful playing key defensive positions. It's hard to gauge his form because we don't see them up in QLD but it would be a very speculative selection.

I saw Chris Egan twice and thought he still had plenty of talent to offer but he is no KPP which I think you are trying to identify.

I wonder if JON from the Tigers might get the flick? He could still make a good senior player.

Post Thanks / Like

He played one game this year in a team that had Merrett (I like him though) and the undersized Patful playing key defensive positions. It's hard to gauge his form because we don't see them up in QLD but it would be a very speculative selection.

I saw Chris Egan twice and thought he still had plenty of talent to offer but he is no KPP which I think you are trying to identify.

I wonder if JON from the Tigers might get the flick? He could still make a good senior player.
    Jon with pick 80 of the ND?

Would you take it?

And would you punt on Egan? Got to say, i was a little bit surprised on the delisting and not trading for a nothing pick.

Post Thanks / Like

Jon with pick 80 of the ND?

Would you take it?

And would you punt on Egan? Got to say, i was a little bit surprised on the delisting and not trading for a nothing pick.
    I'd offer a bit better that pick 80 in the draft for JON. He is tougher than he is credited for and if used correctly, could be a fine defender or winger. Egan is worth a look at but we do have a number of forward flanker types already.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd offer a bit better that pick 80 in the draft for JON. He is tougher than he is credited for and if used correctly, could be a fine defender or winger. Egan is worth a look at but we do have a number of forward flanker types already.
    How many recycles or re-treds would you look at, with one eye on the future and GC17 drafts.

Post Thanks / Like

How many recycles or re-treds would you look at, with one eye on the future and GC17 drafts.
    Depends on the depth of the draft. If it's deep, keep our picks, but if we aren't likely to get anything after pick 20, then trade for some guys not getting a go at their current teams.

Post Thanks / Like

Guys with some experience and potential are worth looking at. It depends on how many players we clear from the side. 2 youngish recycled players would be OK.
    We got Hudson and Callan via trades and then added Welsh in the PSD last year so 2 should be OK.

Post Thanks / Like

Mulligan should be either rookied again or put on a senior spot.
    Shaw should be rookied again.
    White also rookied.

I don't understand the point of getting these guys as rookies if they aren't likely to play a game in that season. The dogs basically seem to get rookies because they aren't sure about drafted them so they give them a year to try them out.

I think you need to balance this with at least one player that can top up your list. A ready made player perhaps. This year we saw how close we came to not having any spare defenders in 1 or 2 games. There was also several times where we asked ourselves who would come in? none of the players at willy were ready, they were just not experienced or physically able enough for a senior spot yet. We basically had no midfield depth and were forced to choose from Ray, Eagleton, or pick a kid like Ward or Reid.

For me it would be nice to have a player like a Robin Nahas, Cameron Lockwood or Chris Cain from the vfl. Surely that is what the rookie list is for?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    Mulligan should be either rookied again or put on a senior spot.
    Shaw should be rookied again.
    White also rookied.

I don't understand the point of getting these guys as rookies if they aren't likely to play a game in that season. The dogs basically seem to get rookies because they aren't sure about drafted them so they give them a year to try them out.

I think you need to balance this with at least one player that can top up your list. A ready made player perhaps. This year we saw how close we came to not having any spare defenders in 1 or 2 games. There was also several times where we asked ourselves who would come in? none of the players at willy were ready, they were just not experienced or physically able enough for a senior spot yet. We basically had no midfield depth and were forced to choose from Ray, Eagleton, or pick a kid like Ward or Reid.

For me it would be nice to have a player like a Robin Nahas, Cameron Lockwood or Chris Cain from the vfl. Surely that is what the rookie list is for?
    There is absolutely no point in putting a 18yo ruckman on your rookie list.

Use the rookie list for 21yos who have missed out but can still play - blokes like Dale Morris and Matthew Boyd.

PS. Please not Nahas. I never thought I'd see a footballer I hated more than Steven Milne, but he's the one. Even his teammates must be tempted to give him one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    Use the rookie list for 21yos who have missed out but can still play - blokes like Dale Morris and Matthew Boyd.
    It staggers me this is not done more often. There are so many 'mature age' recruits out there who would have better credentials to make it as a league player than some of the speculative types that are taken in the rookie draft and even the national draft.

Aside from Morris and Boyd you can go back further to Brett Montgomery and David King who came into the league as mature age players through the old VFA.

I reckon a player like Rose or Stretton would be worth a punt certainly no more than a player like Henry White.
    Last edited by The Doctor; 26-09-2008 at 09:18 AM. Reason: typos