Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Scott West officially retired

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    He had ample time. He would have known for along time that the most likely outcome from his post season discussion with the coaching staff was that he would be asked to retire. Aker even mentioned that West had spoken to him about it after the Brownlow.

So why then did he act the way he did when he knew it was coming?

I understand that hearing the actual message rather than pre-empting it are 2 different things, but you would have to think that he would have went over how he would handle himself if he was told that his career at the Bulldogs was over.
    Clearly he didn't. From his perspective he got blindsided and didn't see it coming but given a few more days he adjusted to the news and made the correct decision. I stated when it was first announced that he just needed more time and nothing I have heard since will convince me otherwise. He deserved vastly more respect and dignity than being delisted.

Given the circumstances and the way the club bungled this West conducted himself very well in my opinion.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Clearly he didn't. From his perspective he got blindsided and didn't see it coming but given a few more days he adjusted to the news and made the correct decision. I stated when it was first announced that he just needed more time and nothing I have heard since will convince me otherwise. He deserved vastly more respect and dignity than being delisted.

Given the circumstances and the way the club bungled this West conducted himself very well in my opinion.
    I can't believe that to be the case. He supposedly told Aker at the Brownlow get together when looking at Eade, 'That guy is going to give me the flick tomorrow'. If he is talking to Aker about it happening you can only suspect that when it happens it isn't a total surprise?

I can only assume that before West and the club had had time to discuss how to handle the situation ( if West was to retire) the story had been leaked to the media remembering that Westy was the guy who walked out of the meeting when he was told the decision had been made. Rather than deal with the scuttle-butt the club confirmed the story that West had been told that he was no longer in the plans for the club (as a player) going forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Good to see Westy out on the ground today with the retirees and getting a send off.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.