Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My Shortlist Part 1 - Key Forwards

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    I disagree.

In all likelihood at least one of the three won't make it and there's always the chance that another will be wrecked by injury. Al of a sudden we are down to one forward again.

History has proved that it's practically impossible to differentiate between kids after the first round - statistically there is no difference in getting a 100 game player in the 2nd round compared to the 4th round - so best available after the 1st round doesn't work.

We are still at least 2 developing talls short.
    I think we must select at least one tall regardless if the better ones have already been raided before our selections. That doesn't mean we should just pick a borderline player but maybe we look at some of the guys that might just be a fraction short of what we would ideally want providing he has better skill pace etc.
    For example ideally a key position player would be around the 194cm mark or a bit taller but if there was someone with a similar size to a Mackie (but has a far better chance of making the grade) he is probably a better pick than adding another Cam Wight just because he tall. I'm not sure I have explained that well but I don't just want another work in progress player that might disappoint in 3 or 4 years time. If it meant a Jarrad Blight who is a bit shorter over a Paul Cahill then I would be happy with that.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't really have much idea, I've seen some of these guys once and most not at all. All I've done is collated stuff that other people have written, watched 3 minute Youtube videos and read some stats.

For all of that, I love the sound of Still.

Lynch looks like a slightly taller Mitch Hahn with better skills but not really a KPF.

Cahill looks like a total gumby and I really don't want him. I saw him at the TD in June and I was watching out for KPF's. I thought he was hopeless. He did kick 8 in one game so he must be better than what I saw.

Davis was injured all year so who knows?

Brown could be the next Andrew Mackie or the next Caleb Mourish. I know nothing about him at all (Mackie was almost unheard of and playing for St. Peter's College in Adelaide until Geelong took him at 7, Mourish was playing school footy as well but was talked up on internet boards as a top 20 pick. Eventually Freo rookied him and then delisted him.
    Sacred Heart I think he played for, could be wrong...but it definitely wasn't St Peters.

Post Thanks / Like

I disagree.

In all likelihood at least one of the three won't make it and there's always the chance that another will be wrecked by injury. Al of a sudden we are down to one forward again.

History has proved that it's practically impossible to differentiate between kids after the first round - statistically there is no difference in getting a 100 game player in the 2nd round compared to the 4th round - so best available after the 1st round doesn't work.

We are still at least 2 developing talls short.
    Personally I'd go 1 tall. In terms of tall young players at the moment we have

Everitt
    Williams
    Tiller
    Grant
    Boumann
    Cordy

I'm sure I am missing one or 2 aswell.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post

Everitt
    Williams
    Tiller
    Grant
    Boumann
    Cordy

I'd add two more talls.

Liberatore and Wallis look likely sorts and will come somewhat cheaper. Jones is ripping it up in NSW but without seeing him I can't judge whether he can replicate that in the city. If we take all 3, that's three mids in the next two years for cheap plus any others we take. On this basis, think the 6 names you mention isn't deep enough. Extend it to 8 with the support of Mino, Lake etc and even with a few misses or injuries we are stronger in the big-man dept.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post

Everitt
    Williams
    Tiller
    Grant
    Boumann
    Cordy

So we have precisely the required number. Lucky for us we won't have any injuries and they will all develop perfectly.

Lake, Hargrave and Morris are all 26 or 27. They'll all be 30 in 4 years time when developing talls are just about ready.

Post Thanks / Like

Two talls.....one to play forward and one to play back.

As has been said earlier we have 3 possible midfield options net year and we can always top up with a recycled player or rookie a la Harbrow. Yeah the draft next year is going to be cr*p because of GC17, but that just means you need to work a little harder to find some gems from outside the traditional system. It may mean having another look at VFL guys or other teams rookie/delistings and taking them on board. We did well in the 1990's with guys like Toohey, Dent, Curley, Huddo and even Harrison who all came in as trades. We've done well with guys like Welsh and Aka as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Two talls.....one to play forward and one to play back.
    That would be a nice outcome on draft day because whilst ideally we need to look at key forwards another key defender would still help us substantially.

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    We did well in the 1990's with guys like Toohey, Dent, Curley, Huddo and even Harrison who all came in as trades. We've done well with guys like Welsh and Aka as well.
    Just some slight changes to this, Hudson was acquired in a Pre-season draft and Curley via a National draft.