Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New Assistant Coach?

Just heard on a newsbreak we signed someone. Missed who.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Assistant Coach?

http://afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/t...x?newsId=69106

Paul williams will be our forward line coach

Post Thanks / Like

There you go,

Certainly a fine footballer and he's had two years at Melbourne so he's now been at 3 other clubs that us so he's got a fair bit of experience

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of people get worked up about these appointments thinking that if they weren't a great player they won't be a great coach but I have a simple view on this. If the coach appoints them then their success or failure sits with him.
    Honestly, Peter Dean doesn't impress me as a communicator but he must be doing the right things and that's the main thing. Not every assistant coach will make a senior coach and if they find their niche as an assistant and follow the lead from the senior coach then the club benefits. I haven't heard anyone dismiss Williams as being a lousy assistant coach.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    A lot of people get worked up about these appointments thinking that if they weren't a great player they won't be a great coach but I have a simple view on this. If the coach appoints them then their success or failure sits with him.
    Honestly, Peter Dean doesn't impress me as a communicator but he must be doing the right things and that's the main thing. Not every assistant coach will make a senior coach and if they find their niche as an assistant and follow the lead from the senior coach then the club benefits. I haven't heard anyone dismiss Williams as being a lousy assistant coach.
    Alistair Clarkeson didn't win a brownlow did he?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like Rocket and Fantasia were keen to get him so good work I say. He seems keen to get onboard too. Welcome to the Club Paul!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It's nice to get a high profile assistant but it really doesn't mean anything.

Its on the coach to put people around him that can deliver on his game plan, and people from whom he can also continue to learn and get ideas from.

It's far more about what they do behind the scenes, in the inner sanctum - and we as supporters never get to know really what goes on there. So Dean may not come across as a brilliant communicator or polished media performer, but its really his ability to communicate with Lake, Hargrave, Morris, Gilbee, Callan etc that really counts.

Similar to Williams, and whilst Campbell was not a bulldog favourite, there is nothing I have seen or read that suggests he didn't do a very good job.

Post Thanks / Like

Williams moves to Bulldogs

THE WESTERN Bulldogs have appointed former Sydney Swans premiership player Paul Williams as an assistant coach.

Williams, who played for Collingwood from 1991-2000 and the Sydney Swans from 2001-2006, will be responsible for the forward line following the departure of former assistant Wayne Campbell back to Richmond.

He will be reunited with former Swans’ coach Rodney Eade, who he played under in Sydney.

"Rodney and [football manager] James Fantasia approached me, and I sat down with those guys and Leon Cameron last week, and we had a long chat and went on from there," Williams told afl.com.au.

“Rodney lured me from Collingwood initially when I went to Sydney and I've had a really good working relationship with him; playing under him.

"I'm keen to do the same as a coach. We have always gotten along very well so I'm keen to get in there."

Williams was a dual best and fairest winner at the Swans, and played in the 2005 premiership side. He became the midfield coach of Melbourne in 2007.

Eade said Williams would start his two-year contract in early November. "Paul will be a welcomed acquisition who brings a great work ethic and knowledge of the game," he said.

Williams said he was looking forward to taking on the responsibility of nurturing a forward line, and working with an up-and-coming side.

"Obviously their year this year was very good, and while I know myself that doesn't guarantee any certainty for next year, their list is very exciting and young and something I'm looking forward to working with," he said.

"I'm moving to the forward line, and they were the second best forward line last year so I don't think we need to change a hell of a lot, but I've got a few ideas that I'll bounce off the rest of the guys when I do start.

"Basically I think I'll be running with a lot of the things Rodney wants to go with, and we'll have a chat when I get in there.

"I'm really keen to work with all those guys; the younger ones and the older ones I've played against for a lot of years. There's a really nice mix, and I'm keen to work alongside Leon and Peter Dean as well.

"There's a lot of upside for me and I'm just really excited to get down there and get my hands and knees dirty and get into it."

Post Thanks / Like

"There's a lot of upside for me and I'm just really excited to get down there and get my hands and knees dirty"

Knees dirty........ someone's trying to suck up to get the head job (senior coaching job).
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 42-C-3 View Post
    "There's a lot of upside for me and I'm just really excited to get down there and get my hands and knees dirty"

Knees dirty........ someone's trying to suck up to get the head job (senior coaching job).
    No pun intended??

Post Thanks / Like

Why don't we get genuine forwards as forward line coaches? Williams was a midfielder makeshift forward later in his career. Do midfielders really know what it's like to think like a forward? Do genuine forwards respect a midfielder as their coach. Am I just stupid? Probably but I thought 'What? Williams as forward coach? Oh crap!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Why don't we get genuine forwards as forward line coaches? Williams was a midfielder makeshift forward later in his career. Do midfielders really know what it's like to think like a forward? Do genuine forwards respect a midfielder as their coach. Am I just stupid? Probably but I thought 'What? Williams as forward coach? Oh crap!"
    Do you want Simin Minton-Connell back?

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure it really matters. THe coach is coaching the entire forward line, not just one specific position. So getting someone who was a gun FF might help develop a FF, but would they necessarily know about how to coach the crumbers, half forwards etc?

I think a good coach is a good coach - and they'll be able to teach the players what is needed, no matter where they spent their years playing.

Post Thanks / Like

If he had to turn himself into a forward doesnt that mean he's had to think more about how to play the position than a bloke who's just always done it 'naturally'. He'd would have had to learn more about the mechanics of forward play than most forwards and he would also have the advantage of knowing what a midfielder is thinking when he's looking for a forward target to kick to.

I think him as forward line coach could be a great appointment.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Throughandthrough View Post
    Do you want Simin Minton-Connell back?
    James Cook?
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs