Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Message for Darce and idiot KB

I want two changes - backward kicking = no mark and no freekick for chopping the arms. One is a new rule, one is reverting to the old rule...

And yes, I know the examples were from years ago but could have used other more recent examples that I think have helped (the 'KB' bouncing the ball rule, increase in kicking distance, ruckman taking clean possession, dragging the ball in) instead.

Oh - and anyone who reckons ruckman should be able to grab the ball from a boundary throw-in and not be penalised has either never played or was a ruckman...single best rule change ever (except that they shouldn't have waited til I retired to institute it!).
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm rather curious as to how the rule changes he's mentioned could be construed as bad. Anyone who believes they are is more than welcome to enlighten me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    I'm rather curious as to how the rule changes he's mentioned could be construed as bad. Anyone who believes they are is more than welcome to enlighten me.
    Sorry, meant to say good or bad for the game in the eyes of supporters, not bad as in a bad rule.

A rule is a rule (not bad or good) and no matter what you say, every rule is going to change the game forever and whether that is good or bad for the game, is debatable.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Sorry, meant to say good or bad for the game in the eyes of supporters, not bad as in a bad rule.

A rule is a rule (not bad or good) and no matter what you say, every rule is going to change the game forever and whether that is good or bad for the game, is debatable.
    Again I ask, how can the rules Mike mentioned be viewed as bad for the game? Why is change so negatively viewed when in many cases it improves the game?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Again I ask, how can the rules Mike mentioned be viewed as bad for the game? Why is change so negatively viewed when in many cases it improves the game?
    Improves the game in your eyes.

Ok, for example, the rushed behinds have increased due to players being able to bring the ball in quicker after a behind is recorded.

What is the point in not being able to pass backwards and claiming a mark. I don't get the reason for wanting to change.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, for example, the rushed behinds have increased due to players being able to bring the ball in quicker after a behind is recorded.

What is the point in not being able to pass backwards and claiming a mark. I don't get the reason for wanting to change.
    So teams can't waste time holding the ball up. The most boring and annoying aspect to our game, IMO a much bigger issue than rushed behinds.

Post Thanks / Like

It will stop the time wasting kick backwards...and it will also (to me) reduce flooding...players will be more incented to 'hedge their bets' and not push forward too far and stay a bit closer to those defenders behind the ball - the chance of a turnover is that much greater if the kick and mark must be perfect.

How many times do we see a 'not quite perfect' backwards kick be collected by a player in 50m of space....if that 50m became 20m, all of a sudden he has to rush - and if he has to rush, more chance of an error = more chance of a turnover.

It is one rule that works well in the VFL.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    So teams can't waste time holding the ball up. The most boring and annoying aspect to our game, IMO a much bigger issue than rushed behinds.
    so what.

Everytime that something looks boring, we should change the rules. The game is continually evolving and we don't need more rules in the most overgoverned, over policed game in the world. Next we will have four goal umpires, four boundary umpires, four field umpires, a third umpire for dodgy decisions etc etc.

Sorry, I can't take anymore rule changes.