Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Rookie list targets?

So it looks like we have a couple of spots open on the rookie list. Ideally what we should be looking at is someone who might be able to slot into the Williamstown reserves for the majority of the season and hopefully even press for a few senior games.

Has anyone seen a player or two in the TAC that might be worth a spot on our rookie list?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rookie list targets?

First we'll have to see who gets left over from the main drafts.

Wouldn't hurt to rookie list a young Willi listed player.

Perhaps there is an unlucky young player delisted from another club that might be worth a second chance. Steve Gilham from Hawthorn found his way into a premiership this way after he was rookied by the Hawks having got the flick from Port. Why on earth didn't we pick him up.

Post Thanks / Like

Liam Jones from Tassie might be one to look out for. He is a 194cm key position player who was injured for most of this year. He came from my old club North Hobart. I saw his dad Bob play and he was a big indigenous player who played a few games for the Saints. He tested well at the draft camp in the agility and sprints apparantly.

Has any of our Tassie posters got anything on him?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Liam Jones from Tassie might be one to look out for. He is a 194cm key position player who was injured for most of this year. He came from my old club North Hobart. I saw his dad Bob play and he was a big indigenous player who played a few games for the Saints. He tested well at the draft camp in the agility and sprints apparantly.

Has any of our Tassie posters got anything on him?
    DOB 21-2-91

Too young to rookie

Post Thanks / Like

Does Chris Ogle count as one of our rookies?

Post Thanks / Like

What about that Ryan Williams bloke from Tassie that trained with us last year. Weren't we saving him for this year, or did I just interpret that completely wrong?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    Does Chris Ogle count as one of our rookies?
    I think scholarship rookies are counted like international rookies ie. They don't take up a spot.

Atleast thats how I think it is for the first season, don't know about after that though. I could be wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Luke McDonald from the Eastern Ranges might be a player that slips through the draft. He just missed out on the Vic Metro side this year and at 194/195cm would be a nice sized forward that could play a large chunk of the season in the Williamstown reserves side.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    What about that Ryan Williams bloke from Tassie that trained with us last year. Weren't we saving him for this year, or did I just interpret that completely wrong?
    He's fallen off the radar a bit. Perhaps a google search might provide some answers.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe we should go a Morris/Boyd route and get a player who could play when given an oportunity, instead of just continuing the draft order

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post

Perhaps there is an unlucky young player delisted from another club that might be worth a second chance. Steve Gilham from Hawthorn found his way into a premiership this way after he was rookied by the Hawks having got the flick from Port. Why on earth didn't we pick him up.
    I totally agree. We should always be on the look out for these types of players. Recycling role players is something we have never been great at. Posters call them list cloggers and thoise sort of things but quite often they are key parts in premierships.

Post Thanks / Like

Given the new rookie rules I won't be surprised to see us take a few 'ready to go' players who could be upgraded if their VFL warrants it.

We have officially retained Mulligan, Shaw and White, so I think we'll look to add some more midfield depth, especially if we go tall with 2 or 3 selections in the ND.

Perhaps someone like Banner might get a go.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    I totally agree. We should always be on the look out for these types of players. Recycling role players is something we have never been great at. Posters call them list cloggers and thoise sort of things but quite often they are key parts in premierships.
    I'm not against adding a player with some senior experience to the rookie list although that Tom Davidson experience is still probably in the mind of the club. There was quite a number of youngish players delisted who might be able to come and provide some depth for us and we should consider it.
    We could go with a short term solution or take a longer view as well.

Post Thanks / Like

One player who has intrigued me is Steve Gaertner. At 198cm tall and athletically gifted the only real knock on him is his ability to read the game and his kicking skills can be up and down.
    Surely this is the sort of player we could look at on a rookie list if he is again not drafted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dogs 24/7 View Post
    One player who has intrigued me is Steve Gaertner. At 198cm tall and athletically gifted the only real knock on him is his ability to read the game and his kicking skills can be up and down.
    Surely this is the sort of player we could look at on a rookie list if he is again not drafted.
    Gaertner was highly rated last year and not drafted. We asked Rocket why we didn't look at him and his answer was "Scottie thinks he can't play".