Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Captain for 2009

Should Brad Johnson be captain in 2009? Im not so sure considering he only has one or two years left. Any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Captain for 2009

Quote Originally Posted by bobmurphy View Post
    Should Brad Johnson be captain in 2009? Im not so sure considering he only has one or two years left. Any thoughts?
    I'd keep him there because there is no logical replacement. It doesn't mean there isn't a few players more than capable of fulfilling that role but another season to sort through them might provide the best answer.

Who would you select?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'd keep him there because there is no logical replacement. It doesn't mean there isn't a few players more than capable of fulfilling that role but another season to sort through them might provide the best answer.

Who would you select?
    If I had to choose I would select Cross purely on work ethic on and off the track. But I understand its not only about those qualities.
    My concern is if Johnson holds onto it for the next two years I think we would have to bypass the Gia, Murphy, Cross age bracket as again we'd be asking the same question in 2 years time. I think we should make the change now and let Cross or Gia have it for 3-5 years and develop a younger guy to take it over as they are finishing up.

Post Thanks / Like

I am a fan of players giving the captaincy up a year or 2 before they retire.It ensures a smooth transition. Its really only a title and everyone should be a leader in there own way. If he gave it up to a younger guy now you would still have his leadership but we would be grooming someone at the same time. It gives you someone to bounce things off and to pull you up if your going the wrong way about something.

Post Thanks / Like

Who would you select?
    1 more year for Jonno as captain then hand the reigns to Cooney.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigsahibee View Post
    I agree, leave Johnno for 1 more year but give it to someone other than Cooney, let him focus on becoming even better.

I'd be happy to see Cross, Guido, Boydy to become captain, Missy Higgins maybe after one of them..

Post Thanks / Like

Brad Johnson the leader of the team, he should remain captain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigsahibee View Post
    At the moment I don't see Cooney as being a great captain but he could prove himself in the next 12 months.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_west View Post
    Brad Johnson the leader of the team, he should remain captain.
    I suppose the bigger question is who should replace him when he decides to give it away?
    A few from the class of 99 have the credentials but we might want to go for one of the younger guys.

Post Thanks / Like

I suppose the bigger question is who should replace him when he decides to give it away?
    A few from the class of 99 have the credentials but we might want to go for one of the younger guys.
    For mine, Crossy shows what it takes, although the likes of Murph & Gia would probably be seen as players with the runs on the board, although there is something about Gia that doesn't quite sit well with me, Murph would be a more POSITIVE leader of the two in my opinion.

The likes of Griffen, Cooney, Higgins etc are way off even being considered taking the top job.