Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice wraps on Farren...

Farren Ray a gun, Zac Dawson's back
    Michael Horan | March 30, 2009 12:00am

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/spo...-19742,00.html

TWO new Saints had a glowing ring of success on their halos after rebooting their careers in an inspired win against Sydney on Saturday. Former Western Bulldogs midfielder Farren Ray and ex-Hawk key defender Zac Dawson, a pair of 23-year-olds born a month apart on opposite sides of the country, gave the St Kilda fans at Etihad Stadium plenty to cheer about after their roles in the Saints' 15-point win.

Ray, who finished his playing days with the Doggies as an emergency in last year's finals, was one of the midfield stars while Dawson, playing his first senior game since Round 18, 2006, completely shut down Swans forward Barry Hall.

The heat was on both after Hall kicked the first goal of the game and Sydney's runners took the honours to give the Swans a 27-point lead at quarter-time.

But the pair emerged clear winners on the night.

"At quarter-time Ross (Lyon, coach) came out - we were nearly five goals down - and he said: 'I've got all the confidence in you boys that we can run over them'. And that's what we did," Ray said after the win.

"We just stuck to our game plan and tried to move the ball on a bit quicker to beat their zones and floods and all that.

"I think we really took a step forward."

Ray became a prime mover as he gathered 23 possessions - at an efficiency rate of 87 per cent -- and laid six tackles as the Saints effected an extraordinary period of intensity that kept the Swans goalless for 78 minutes while they racked up 11 for themselves.

In the telling third term when the scoreline was 5.2 to nil, Ray's 10 possessions for the quarter played a vital part in St Kilda's dominance.

"It was a real credit to the boys," Ray said.

"I kept looking up at the scoreboard and they were the same score until the 15-minute mark of the last quarter.

"Our tackle pressure was amazing. If we can maintain that sort of pressure I think we can win most games."

Dawson, whose remarkable return came after 14 senior games in five years with Hawthorn and selection in December's rookie draft by the Saints, did not allow Hall a touch in the second and third terms and held the Swans spearhead to four possessions and one behind after quarter-time.

The Saints were seven goals up approaching time-on in the final term before they tired and allowed the Swans to kick four late goals and record a very flattering losing margin.

"We didn't mean to take our foot off the gas. Sydney lifted and I think our boys were pretty buggered," Ray said.

"That fast-tempo style we're trying to adopt, it's taxing, there were a few boys cramping. But we'll get better as the season progresses."

ST KILDA 1.1 4.4 9.6 12.8 (80)
    SYDNEY 5.4 5.6 5.6 9.11 (65)

Goals: St Kilda: S Milne 3 J Koschitzke 2 M Gardiner 2 N Dal Santo 2 A McQualter B Goddard J Gram. Sydney: H Grundy 2 A Goodes B Hall D Jolly K Jack M Mattner P Bevan R O'Keefe.

Best: St Kilda: B Goddard S Gilbert S Fisher N Dal Santo J Koschitzke L Montagna F Ray. Sydney: P Bevan T Richards C Bolton J Bolton D Jolly A Goodes.

Injuries: St Kilda: R Clarke (hamstring). Sydney: L Ablett (personal reasons) replaced in the selected side by E Barlow. pe Reports: Nil.

Umpires: Chris Kamolins, Ray Chamberlain, Brett Rosebury.

Top Supercoach scorers: St Kilda: N.Dal Santo 161. Sydney: A.Goodes 108

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nice wraps on Farren...

If one game made Farren Ray, he would have been a 'made guy' already.

Good luck to him, but the media should be a little more sensible than to judge Farren on one game.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Farren was good and good luck to him, but he wouldn't be in our best 22, but i guess thats why he left, he knew that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_west View Post
    Farren was good and good luck to him, but he wouldn't be in our best 22, but i guess thats why he left, he knew that.
    Hopefully Liam Jones will be better than Ray will ever be..........

Post Thanks / Like

Its pressure football where Ray makes too many mistakes.
    I didn't see too much of the game and he must have played well but its round 1 and not finals.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd expect Ray to play better this year in any case, clearly wasn't happy last year.

Not really a type we need as long as Hill can keep the run & carry part of his game (and as much as he has his knockers, Eagle's ability to run out games is still very good)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieSigley View Post
    Its pressure football where Ray makes too many mistakes.
    I didn't see too much of the game and he must have played well but its round 1 and not finals.
    Except that he really stood up in the final against the Collywobbles.
    I believe there's nothing on this earth that we own. All we do is look after it for our children - Terry Wheeler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysadog View Post
    Except that he really stood up in the final against the Collywobbles.
    We didn't have a bad player on the day.
    Collingwood hardly applied any pressure.
    Cam Wight also played well that day so he needs to be on the list as long as he wants.

Post Thanks / Like

Would struggle to be in our best 22 but still felt a tad bitter sweet to see him running around and doing well in another jumper. Seemed to enjoy his time on the half back line for the sainters

Post Thanks / Like

Even though it is only one game I was impressed by his improved kicking skills compared to the previous years with us. With taller targets up front he didn't have to pin point his passes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Even though it is only one game I was impressed by his improved kicking skills compared to the previous years with us. With taller targets up front he didn't have to pin point his passes.
    I felt that as well. Much easier to just kick it to Kossie and Riewoldt and he looked more at ease with that task.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieSigley View Post
    We didn't have a bad player on the day.
    Collingwood hardly applied any pressure.
    Cam Wight also played well that day so he needs to be on the list as long as he wants.
    Agree, but Farren was one of the best.
    I believe there's nothing on this earth that we own. All we do is look after it for our children - Terry Wheeler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysadog View Post
    Agree, but Farren was one of the best.
    The main problem for Farren against Hawthorn was he was pretty much the only one who kept getting the footy early on, so his errors were very noticeable. As it got later in the game other players started getting the footy and also turned it over, but by then it did not matter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobmurphy View Post
    The main problem for Farren against Hawthorn was he was pretty much the only one who kept getting the footy early on, so his errors were very noticeable. As it got later in the game other players started getting the footy and also turned it over, but by then it did not matter.
    Agree 100%.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting interview with Leigh Montagna on 3AW last night.

Is he having a dig at the bulldogs?

Listen in from about the 4.20 minute

http://www.3aw.com.au/displayPopUpPl...h_Montagna.mp3
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.