Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gold Coast launches ambitious plan to poach superstars

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Sounds like bad news for us.
    Why are we any different to the other 16 clubs?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    Why are we any different to the other 16 clubs?
    I didn't mean to say we were and in many ways we aren't. I suppose it could be argued that it would be easier to compensate us less fairly than Collingwood or Sydney for example but really it's not a great situation for any club.

Post Thanks / Like

I simply don't understand why they have done it the way they have. It could have been so much easier and cleaner if they had just let me do it.

1) Scrap the PSD. Uncontracted players that want to leave their club go into the National Draft.

2) Give GC every odd number draft pick.

3) Tell 'em to trade.

Job's done.

I would also reduce the draft age for this year as they are, but next year when GC come in, I'd return it back to where it is temperarily. That would increase the number of kids available for the GC entry year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    I simply don't understand why they have done it the way they have. It could have been so much easier and cleaner if they had just let me do it.

1) Scrap the PSD. Uncontracted players that want to leave their club go into the National Draft.

2) Give GC every odd number draft pick.

3) Tell 'em to trade.

Job's done.

I would also reduce the draft age for this year as they are, but next year when GC come in, I'd return it back to where it is temperarily. That would increase the number of kids available for the GC entry year.
    The players association would argue that if you scrap the PSD that is the only real avenue players have to get to the club of their choice.

They most likely will trade some of their top picks away anyway.
    So you would give them every odd pick in the draft? As in every second pick? That is worse than what is proposed now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobmurphy View Post
    The players association would argue that if you scrap the PSD that is the only real avenue players have to get to the club of their choice.

They most likely will trade some of their top picks away anyway.
    So you would give them every odd pick in the draft? As in every second pick? That is worse than what is proposed now.
    How so? Under the current system they can go and cherry pick players and let some arbitrary panel (with KB on it probably) decide how much a player is worth. If they have to trade their picks for players clubs will get closer to the natural market value for the player, and GC won't be able to trade pick 51 for Tom Williams, for example, so they will naturally get a spread of talent based on draft pick positions, ie. either get five picks in the top 10 or five uncontracted players worth a top 10 pick (or a combination of the two) but not both.

That way they'll end up with a list with a spread of talent from 'top 10 pick' level all the way down to pick 90 or whatever, either through drafting or trading, which is a fairer reflection of a typical AFL list rather than some frankensteinian concoction of player greed, crazy tribunal rulings, and compromised drafts which will take 10 years to balance out while they win 5 premierships in that time.

I'm not a believer in laissez-faire economics, but this is a perfect case study of letting the utility of market forces determine price/value of players rather than some arbitrary centrally controlled pricing panel. The Soviets can tell you that centrally controlled pricing is a recipe for over-regulation, arbitrary valuations, and disaster.

SS has hit the nail on the head with this one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    With all due respect, I would not be overly disapponited to lose Hahn in 2 years time.
    A fit Williams on the other hand would be a different story.............
    One day, perhaps when Hahn is no longer a member of the playing group, we will appreciate just how valuable this bloke is to the team.

Hopefully!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    How so? Under the current system they can go and cherry pick players and let some arbitrary panel (with KB on it probably) decide how much a player is worth. If they have to trade their picks for players clubs will get closer to the natural market value for the player, and GC won't be able to trade pick 51 for Tom Williams, for example, so they will naturally get a spread of talent based on draft pick positions, ie. either get five picks in the top 10 or five uncontracted players worth a top 10 pick (or a combination of the two) but not both.

That way they'll end up with a list with a spread of talent from 'top 10 pick' level all the way down to pick 90 or whatever, either through drafting or trading, which is a fairer reflection of a typical AFL list rather than some frankensteinian concoction of player greed, crazy tribunal rulings, and compromised drafts which will take 10 years to balance out while they win 5 premierships in that time.

I'm not a believer in laissez-faire economics, but this is a perfect case study of letting the utility of market forces determine price/value of players rather than some arbitrary centrally controlled pricing panel. The Soviets can tell you that centrally controlled pricing is a recipe for over-regulation, arbitrary valuations, and disaster.

SS has hit the nail on the head with this one.
    For a pair who started out argueing with every post each other wrote, you've become my new best friend.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Not meaning to get all philosophical, but if Adam Cooney plays football on the Gold Coast and nobody's there to see it, does he really play at all.
    \ \ \ \ \ \

The sound of one hand clapping ...
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    For a pair who started out argueing with every post each other wrote, you've become my new best friend.
    It's weird isn't it. I think that's how a lot of people get married.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EJ Smith View Post
    One day, perhaps when Hahn is no longer a member of the playing group, we will appreciate just how valuable this bloke is to the team.

Hopefully!!
    He is a very valuable player who's bullocking work certainly does not go unnoticed. In 2 years time if the Gold Coast were interested in a 30yo Mitch Hahn for a draft pick, we would be crazy not to take it!

Post Thanks / Like

Here's hoping that Griff and Coon are both one player clubs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M.R.M View Post
    Here's hoping that Griff and Coon are both one player clubs.
    One would think if they were to leave, they'd go to Adelaide clubs not the Gold Coast.
    I think the key is for the interstate players to settle down with local girls/boys that way their partners cannot pressure them to go home for family reasons.

Post Thanks / Like

Whether we like it or not, we will lose someone to GC17.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Whether we like it or not, we will lose someone to GC17.
    Will we? Do they have to get one from each team, or is it only if they can lure one who's uncontracted?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure of the legalities of the situation, but i'd be surprised if the AFL said, "oh, BTW Mitch, you have to go play for GC17. Pack your bags, sell your house, relocate" and a player had to follow suit against their will. You'd think only those uncontracted players who were interested would move.