Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Advantage Rule

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    It should be like soccer where the ref will play the advantage without the whistle and if it doesnt turn out to be advantage he'll blow and bring it back.
    I could live with that.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Gold star for watching the replay.
    I did it to see if we really were screwed by the umpires. They made some bad calls (mainly the ridiculous non htb's as well as this advantage call) but the rest I didn't feel were that far off.

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    It should be like soccer where the ref will play the advantage without the whistle and if it doesnt turn out to be advantage he'll blow and bring it back.
    I would be in favour of this, the main downside is that considering there are many in the crowd who are yet to cotton on to the idea of the switch, or not kicking the ball immediately, can you imagine the whining when the umpire pays advantage and the crowd thinks they didn't get the free?

Another downside would be that determining if something is advantage or not would fall into the umpires hands again, as players can't be responsible for making a call they don't know they are making.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    I did it to see if we really were screwed by the umpires. They made some bad calls (mainly the ridiculous non htb's as well as this advantage call) but the rest I didn't feel were that far off.

I would be in favour of this, the main downside is that considering there are many in the crowd who are yet to cotton on to the idea of the switch, or not kicking the ball immediately, can you imagine the whining when the umpire pays advantage and the crowd thinks they didn't get the free?

Another downside would be that determining if something is advantage or not would fall into the umpires hands again, as players can't be responsible for making a call they don't know they are making.
    How did the free kick against Bont in the last look (supposed sling tackle)?

In regard to delaying the call until they can assess advantage, I think umpires might struggle not blowing the whistle immediately. In regard to the no-advantage call on Saturday, I don't know why one of the other umpires couldn't have over ruled. They do it all the time and that was an obvious one. I knew as soon as it was recalled Dahl would miss.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    How did the free kick against Bont in the last look (supposed sling tackle)?
    Didn't get that far. Can you blame me?

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    In regard to delaying the call until they can assess advantage, I think umpires might struggle not blowing the whistle immediately. In regard to the no-advantage call on Saturday, I don't know why one of the other umpires couldn't have over ruled. They do it all the time and that was an obvious one. I knew as soon as it was recalled Dahl would miss.
    It's not really an issue tbf usually. The delaying the whistle in reality is more so that all the players don't stop playing as opposed to fixing one of two instances in the last 5 years I can remember an umpire stuffing it up. Really the current system is fine, and the idiotic decision to call it back is something that is clearly the umpires fault.

Post Thanks / Like

17.3 The Advantage Rule

Where the umpire intends or has signalled that they intend to award a Free Kick to a Player, the field umpire may, instead of awarding the Free Kick, allow play to continue if a player of the team who receives the Free Kick has taken the advantage
    There you go. I always thought the rule said that the player taking advantage had to be behind the mark of where the infringement was. That if the ball had spilled forward of where the free kick was paid then a player couldn't pick it up and play on. I thought the ball had to be behind that spot. I'm sure I've seen umpires call the player back because he picked the ball up forward of the mark.

It can be a pretty big advantage but so can a quick handball over the stop from a player who has a free. As long as it is uniformly applied I don't have a big problem. In fact I'd like to see any player on a team take a kick like in soccer. Rather than umpires and players standing around arguing and sorting out who should take a kick the umpire says which team has been infringed against and anyone on that team takes the kick.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't there a technical thing now if the non-officiating umpire pays the free kick, then the officiating umpire can't call play on? I thought something like this hurt us a few years back. If there was no technical out yesterday, then we were literally robbed a goal, and Macrae too.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't there a technical thing now if the non-officiating umpire pays the free kick, then the officiating umpire can't call play on? I thought something like this hurt us a few years back. If there was no technical out yesterday, then we were literally robbed a goal, and Macrae too.
    We were robbed severel times. So many times that it's difficult to remember which was when and by which umpire.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I member that instance against Essendon.

I watched the replay of yesterdays free with that in mind, the controlling umpire mad the call and refused to allow advantage. God knows why.

10. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I watched the replay of yesterdays free with that in mind, the controlling umpire mad the call and refused to allow advantage. God knows why.
    Gold star for watching the replay.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

12. Likes ratsmac, SquirrelGrip, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's the one. Snuffed out our comeback and 5 minutes later Clay Smith did his knee in a contest with Dyson Heppell.

Post Thanks / Like

We could just demand higher standards? Mistakes by umpires will happen most games, but this shouldn't have been one of them. We tell the AFEL to stop changing rules, to stop making the game harder to umpire. Paying advantage isn't a complicated aspect for an umpire, no need to change the rule. Change, yes. Change the umpire down a level, use it as an example to the senior panel to everyone to review not making bad stuff ups on an easy decision/non decision.

If the player takes it, and has a split second before a tackle etc, then 'play on'. If the player stuffs it, bad luck.

Post Thanks / Like

How is it that an umpire further away from the play is the controlling umpire rather than an umpire right next to the play? Like with Higgins last week.

Post Thanks / Like

In both rugby and soccer, a clear signal is made by the referee when signalling advantage. In AFL I would simply envisage it being the umpire extending his arm as though paying a free kick, and then the 'waving' motion when the advantage has been taken. i.e:

1) Infringement spotted. Umpire extends arm and calls "advantage high tackle/holding/throw/holding the ball etc". Then one of two things happen.
    2a) The team being awarded a free kick gains an advantage. The umpire uses the current 'waving' signal used to indicate advantage and calls 'advantage over'
    2b) No advantage is gained. The umpire blows the whistle and awards the free kick.

Surely that's not so confusing that it can't be enforced correctly?

In terms of the players 'making a call they don't know they are making, my advice would simply be "play to the whistle".

17. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    In both rugby and soccer, a clear signal is made by the referee when signalling advantage. In AFL I would simply envisage it being the umpire extending his arm as though paying a free kick, and then the 'waving' motion when the advantage has been taken. i.e:

1) Infringement spotted. Umpire extends arm and calls "advantage high tackle/holding/throw/holding the ball etc". Then one of two things happen.
    2a) The team being awarded a free kick gains an advantage. The umpire uses the current 'waving' signal used to indicate advantage and calls 'advantage over'
    2b) No advantage is gained. The umpire blows the whistle and awards the free kick.

Surely that's not so confusing that it can't be enforced correctly?

In terms of the players 'making a call they don't know they are making, my advice would simply be "play to the whistle".
    If it works for the biggest game on the planet i dont see why it wouldnt work for our game. Seems like common sense.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone explain why it wasn't advantage? Just doesn't make sense,it had to be an error.