Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Match Preview - Western Bulldogs v Richmond - R3

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    IMO Everitts foot skills would put Richo to the sword more then Williams but in saying that I would still give Tommy first crack.
    In theory I would agree with you, but given skinny's performances of late I don't think he is up for the job. Speaking to a few people who are in the know, Skinny is a confidence player and is still coming to terms with the physicality of AFL football.

His confidence is way down and as a result his skills have been very bad, all through pre season and in round 1 his kicking has been way off target. I'm aware that he is highly skilled with his feet but when the confidence goes, so does the skill level.

I'm not so sure that playing him against Richo is the best way for Skinny to regain his confidence and get some momentum going into the season. We all know that when Richo flicks the switch and ignites himself, he is nigh on unstoppable and someone like Skinny wouldn't be able to lift his head and go on to be an influence.

I think that had it been a few more years down the track, it would be a perfect match up for Richo down the ground, but Skinny hasn't developed enough to take on such a role.

The coach may let Richo run around the midfiled and defensive 50 unattended because his skills are horrible. However he can accumulate tons of the ball and that may be a problem.
    Last edited by LostDoggy; 09-04-2009 at 11:40 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Who would Lake pick up when Richo is up the field? What happens to Williams when Richo goes forward? .
    Good preview TCD, I like the 13 goal win.

Last year there was a similar scenario, ie Lake picked him up when he went forward and seemingly, no one when he played up the ground on the wings and through the backline. Lake ended up a loose man in defence. It will be interesting if the same thing happens this year
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Good preview TCD, I like the 13 goal win.

Last year there was a similar scenario, ie Lake picked him up when he went forward and seemingly, no one when he played up the ground on the wings and through the backline. Lake ended up a loose man in defence. It will be interesting if the same thing happens this year
    Could Gilbee take him when Richo roams around the middle and try to work him offensively? Richo isn't the world's most defensive oriented player, something that Waite proved with ruthless effiiciency in Round 1. Gilbee can certainly cover the ground and is one of the best spoilers in the busniess. Or is this robbing our half back line of one of our most offensive options in that area?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Could Gilbee take him when Richo roams around the middle and try to work him offensively? Richo isn't the world's most defensive oriented player, something that Waite proved with ruthless effiiciency in Round 1. Gilbee can certainly cover the ground and is one of the best spoilers in the busniess. Or is this robbing our half back line of one of our most offensive options in that area?
    Gilbs hasn't spent a whole lot of time in defence this year so it could be a plan worth some thought.

Agree with the thoughts of other's that Richo doesn't hurt you around the ground, but we must be mindful of picking him up when he ventures forward. I'm not real keen on this swapping opponents, a few of our players have trouble focusing on one opponent little own 2 depending on who is where on the ground.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I'm not real keen on this swapping opponents, a few of our players have trouble focusing on one opponent little own 2 depending on who is where on the ground.
    I totally agree with this.

Richmond have a lively forward line with Reiwolt, Morton and Brown running around. I'd like our backline to be settled and for Richo to have a designated opponent following him around the ground.

We should have Morton and Riewolt covered with Morris and Shag. This leaves Lake to take the next Forward that lines up or if their ruckman rotates through the forward line.

Surely his opponent will be Tommy boy?

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone got any news on the Ins and Outs? By the sounds of things Welsh is certain to come in. Who goes out? Anyone else considered to come into the side?

Post Thanks / Like

Tigers still rue missed opportunity

RICHMOND vice-captain Nathan Foley says the players are still dirty on themselves for Saturday’s loss to Geelong.

Tiger fans who have overcome the disappointment – after the Tigers led at the last change, kicked the first goal of the last quarter and still lost by 20 points – have not been joined by the players.

Coach Terry Wallace was filthy when he faced the media immediately after the game at Skilled Stadium and when Foley was up in front of journalists on Thursday, it was obvious the attitude hadn’t changed.

“We’re really disappointed – we had our opportunity to win the game, and we were right in it in the last quarter and let it slip, so we have to look at that,” he said before a skills session at Victoria Park.

“It was a vast improvement on round one, which it had to be, but at the same time, we still haven’t won a game.

“There’s no such thing as an honourable loss, but it’s certainly a bit better so we can take a bit of confidence out of the weekend.”

The 23-year-old said his team faced another huge task this weekend, with the Tigers-Bulldogs game – last versus second – the sole attraction on Easter Monday.

"The Bulldogs are in really good form at the moment, they're playing some tough, hard footy, and they've won two games, so it'll be a great challenge this weekend.

"Like all games, we'll go in with the attitude to try and win the game – we'll do all our homework on them and we'll go in with the same attitude."

But Foley did admit that the Tigers – who went into their forward 50 just three less times than the Cats, but had 10 less scoring shots – would probably be doing some work on that area of the game in their main session of the week.

"There will be a bit of work done, as there is most weeks,” Foley said. "We're about to train now so there might be a bit more of an emphasis on that."
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Richmond side named...

B: Newman, Moore, King
    HB: Bowden, McGuane, Polo
    C: White, Tuck, Jackson
    HF: Brown, Richardson, Deledio
    F: Morton, Riewoldt, Tambling
    Foll: Simmonds, Hislop, Foley
    Interchange (from): Rance, Schulz, Nahas, Coughlan, Edwards, Pattison, Graham

IN: Coughlan, Pattison, Tambling

No Jordy.

Still awaiting our team...
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

and here we go...

Western Bulldogs
    B: Jarrod Harbrow, Brian Lake, Dale Morris
    HB: Lindsay Gilbee, Tom Williams, Ryan Hargrave
    C: Daniel Cross, Ryan Griffen, Nathan Eagleton
    HF: Josh Hill, Mitch Hahn, Brad Johnson
    F: Adam Cooney, Will Minson, Jason Akermanis
    Foll: Ben Hudson, Matthew Boyd, Shaun Higgins
    I/C (from): Dylan Addison, Andrejs Everitt, Daniel Giansiracusa, Liam Picken, Callan Ward, Stephen Tiller, Scott Welsh

In: Everitt, Tiller, Welsh
    Out: -

Still obviously none the wiser regarding the 'outs'.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

What about Nathan Brown? I cant really see a clear matchup for him, perhaps Cal Ward?

Post Thanks / Like

What about Nathan Brown? I cant really see a clear matchup for him, perhaps Cal Ward?
    Probably Morris, maybe Harbrow.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

I think we are looking at this too defensively, Waite carved up Richo in round one by zoning off and finding the ball himself. Too often coaches let Richo run around doing what he wants but the best way to counter him is to let him know that his opponent is going to find the ball himself and hurt him going forward, I think Tom lacks the footy brain to do this. Richo's skills are average and he isnt a creative user of the ball so he isnt going to hurt you with the footy in his hands. He is such a weapon because of his marking ability when theres a high kick into the backline and his running capability IMO he will have no influce playing on a wing if we refuse to bomb the ball in and spot up a target instead. When he does get the ball zone off him and make him do something with it instead off giving him the easy dish off.
    IMO Everitts foot skills would put Richo to the sword more then Williams but in saying that I would still give Tommy first crack.
    Not quite. Waite played very tight on Richo when Richmond had the ball, then ran off him when Carlton took possession. Richo showed no interest at all in manning up on Waite which allowed Waite to became the link man and also a goal scorer for Carlton. It also helped Waite's overall performance that Richo missed two sitters at goal early in the first quarter (both from strong marks).

Post Thanks / Like

Morton and Brown will be picked up by Shaggy and Morris

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Morton and Brown will be picked up by Shaggy and Morris
    Who plays on Riewoldt then? We may need to bring in Tiller or Everitt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsman View Post
    Who plays on Riewoldt then? We may need to bring in Tiller or Everitt
    Williams to Richo, Lake to Riewoldt maybe?

Who takes Deledio if he goes forward?