Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Gold Coast battle to sign AFL stars already hotting up

Looks like Tom Williams is another target....

Gold Coast battle to sign AFL stars already hotting up
    The Courier Mail
    Andrew Hamilton | May 16, 2009

THE wheeling and dealing everyone expects will be every bit as interesting as the premiership itself in 2010 is already under way. The birth of the Gold Coast Football Club has sparked a flurry of activity from football managers and agents alike and put a handful of young Queenslanders in an awkward position.

Gun youngsters like the Western Bulldogs' Tom Williams and Essendon's Courtenay Dempsey head a list of players who are off contract at the end of this year and for them it's decision time.

If they wish to return home in 2011 to be a part of history in their home state they must somehow convince their existing clubs to offer them a one-year deal.

It is understood only Kangaroo David Hale, St Kilda's Sam Gilbert and Carlton's Shaun Hampson are tied up beyond 2010.

Not counting Brisbane Lions players, who won't be actively pursued by the Coast, and rookies, there are 31 Queenslanders plying their trade in Melbourne.

The majority, such as superstar Nick Riewoldt, come out of contract at the end of 2010, leaving them perfectly positioned to join the new club.

But for the handful who are off contract at the end of this year, the negotiations currently underway could be the most important they undertake.

Of course, the Coast will use some draft picks to trade for established players, which means a Queenslander off contract in '09 could sign a two-year deal but then ask to be traded back to the Coast.

That could potentially solve a problem for one or two, but that's it.

If the Gold Coast were going to trade picks, it would more likely be as part of a deal that lured a superstar north.

With access to 16 uncontracted established players from across the league, Gold Coast recruiter Scott Clayton will be keen to ensure that a healthy smattering of the nation's top teenagers end up at Carrara.

Collingwood draftee Dayne Beams has already knocked back a three-year Pies deal to ensure he is available in 2010, and Adelaide's Kurt Tippet successfully sought a one-year extension that takes him through to the end of next year.

And there's no guarantee the location stamped on a birth certificate is enough to get a player a start.

Clayton's mission is to get the best possible side he can. It is not his business to worry about marketability or sentiment.

There is little doubt his chiefs would have advised him that luring local products home is a good look and certainly if there are two players of similar ability, attitude and size, he'll go with the Queenslander.

But he cannot allow the GCFC to be used as a bargaining tool to make a generation of banana benders rich.

Nor can he pay over the odds just to get locals home.

It's 18 months until anything can be done officially, but you can bet the promises are already flying.

The meat market has begun.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gold Coast battle to sign AFL stars already hotting up

Would you take a high pick for Tom?
    Hmmmmmmmmm.............. Maybe?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    Would you take a high pick for Tom?
    Hmmmmmmmmm.............. Maybe?
    its not that easy. Its what the AFL think he would be worth on the open market at the end of next year (if he only signs with us for 1 year).
    Due to injuries, we have not yet seen the best of him, hyperthetically he could be worth a 3rd round, whch would not sit well with me. Lets hope he had an injury free run and his form improves from now and beyond, the rest will take care of itself.

Post Thanks / Like

Does his original draft position (6) come into consideration?

Post Thanks / Like

Does his original draft position (6) come into consideration?

This is part of a long article:

The compensatory pick would be assessed around the player’s age (greater weighting for younger players), club contract ranking (greater weighting for club key players), on field performance (greater weighting for strong club best and fairest performance) and draft position if less than four years experience.

AFL Releases Draft Details for GC17

Post Thanks / Like

It would be pretty dirty of Tom to leave us after we have nursed him though the past 4 seasons

Tom is from Brisbane and not from the white shoe brigade haven of the Gold Coast

If we loose Mitch Hahn at 29/30 years I wont be crying

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone's gonna lose someone.
    We just have to hope we get fair compensation

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dog House View Post
    It would be pretty dirty of Tom to leave us after we have nursed him though the past 4 seasons

Tom is from Brisbane and not from the white shoe brigade haven of the Gold Coast

If we loose Mitch Hahn at 29/30 years I wont be crying
    I don't think Tom will leave us but if he does go to the GC side we shouldn't hold it against him. Given his injuries and the limited number of senior games he has played he wouldn't have made a boat load of money and he might need to look at other options.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    I don't think Tom will leave us but if he does go to the GC side we shouldn't hold it against him. Given his injuries and the limited number of senior games he has played he wouldn't have made a boat load of money and he might need to look at other options.
    I think he'll earn plenty of money playing AFL for any club.

It would be because he wants more money as opposed to him needing more money if that was the case

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone's gonna lose someone.
    We just have to hope we get fair compensation
    Are you able to confirm that this is the case?

I thought that whilst CG17 could sign a maximum of one uncontracted player from each club, it was with no guarantees that they would manage to snaffle one from every club.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post

I thought that whilst CG17 could sign a maximum of one uncontracted player from each club, it was with no guarantees that they would manage to snaffle one from every club.
    Could, should and would, and will and should and shall.

They all mean different things. I beleive you are right on the money as usual TCD.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I though GC was staying away from Brisbane players as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Could, should and would, and will and should and shall.

They all mean different things. I beleive you are right on the money as usual TCD.
    You left out Gonna

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post

You know what I mean.
    Some clubs MAY come out of it without losing a player.
    Most clubs will Probably lose someone.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope we don't lose any players like Tom Williams. He is a very important player to our team and this will become more apparent in years to come, so I just hope he stays. Even if he did go, there's no way that we would get a 1st round pick in return.