Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

I spy more Dee trouble

We had a spy at our closed session....

I spy more Dee trouble
    The Herald Sun
    Mark Stevens | May 19, 2009

THIS is the most despised man in the AFL spying game. Melbourne may be on the bottom of the ladder, but its "forward scout" David Dunbar is the league's most daring.

Dunbar was at it again last week, refusing to back down from another confrontation at a Western Bulldogs "closed" session.

As the Dogs went about their preparations at Whitten Oval for Saturday's clash with Melbourne, staff were stunned to see Dunbar peering into the ground from the edge of the Gordon St off-ramp.

Dunbar was perilously perched behind a bush, amid dirt and rubble.

Asked to move by an official, he wandered away only to take up a new vantage point, in clear view.

The Bulldogs will not make an official complaint, but the belief is Dunbar broke a gentleman's code.

"It's pretty simple. If you're asked to move, you do what's right," Bulldogs football manager James Fantasia said.

"You move. You get out of the place.

"You don't try and be an antagonist because that does cause trouble.

"To sit there, and be that obvious about it, I'm not sure that's right."

Dunbar has in the past dressed up as a construction worker to spy on Hawthorn at its Waverley base.

He was confronted by Hawks coach Alastair Clarkson in one pre-season incident last year and was repeatedly ejected.

Dunbar, highly rated by the Demons, just keeps coming back for more.

It is understood he has several disguises and has a selection of opposition club polo shirts to enable him to look at home in enemy camps.

In March, the 16 AFL coaches loosely agreed that spies can still attend the closed sessions of rivals, but if they are spotted and asked to leave, they must depart immediately.

But there is no arbiter or panel to penalise infractions, and no official agreement.

Coaches' association boss Danny Frawley has said he hoped for a general level of respect between coaches and spies.

Several clubs, including North Melbourne, Collingwood, Hawthorn and Richmond, have training grounds that make it impossible to hold closed sessions.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I spy more Dee trouble

Weird!

What is he going to see from behind a bush, and what, if any, is the point? He should just read WOOF, he would learn a lot more about the Dogs that way.

Boy the Dees are really scraping the bottom of the barrel if that's the extent of their forward scouting. Surely actually watching a game or two would be more advantageous than this absurdity.

Then again, they did get pretty close on Saturday. Hey, I'm a pretty good spy, anyone want to hire me?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post

Then again, they did get pretty close on Saturday. Hey, I'm a pretty good spy, anyone want to hire me?
    Hiding in bushes and peeking through windows doesn't make you a spy, it makes you a pervert.

Now, just do your pants up and go home before someone calls the cops again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    Hiding in bushes and peeking through windows doesn't make you a spy, it makes you a pervert.

Now, just do your pants up and go home before someone calls the cops again.
    This makes you wonder is Dunbar spying or perving.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BulldogBelle View Post
    In March, the 16 AFL coaches loosely agreed that spies can still attend the closed sessions of rivals, but if they are spotted and asked to leave, they must depart immediately.
    So it's OK unless you get caught?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    So it's OK unless you get caught?
    Everything is ok till you get caught.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw/heard Dunbar when he coached Port Melbourne. I wouldn't want the job of trying to make him leave.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieSigley View Post
    I saw/heard Dunbar when he coached Port Melbourne. I wouldn't want the job of trying to make him leave.
    This is why we should have a real bulldog as a mascot.

Sic' em, Butch!

Post Thanks / Like

The problem is that, he's going the wrong way about it, surely he should just wear that clubs apparel from top to bottom, say when he's spying on Collingwood, have all the black & white gear, push an abondoned shopping trolley with your dog hanging out and other household items.

Or when he's spying on Richmind, push a trolley along with all the gear, shouting out God will save you, God will save you, surely no one would ever be the wiser!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_west View Post
    The problem is that, he's going the wrong way about it, surely he should just wear that clubs apparel from top to bottom, say when he's spying on Collingwood, have all the black & white gear, push an abondoned shopping trolley with your dog hanging out and other household items.

Or when he's spying on Richmind, push a trolley along with all the gear, shouting out God will save you, God will save you, surely no one would ever be the wiser!!!
    Perhaps that was his disguise,

but the moment he took his pen out and starting writing he gave it away!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    Perhaps that was his disguise,

but the moment he took his pen out and starting writing he gave it away!
    Footscray fans hide behind bushes and peek? Hmm, maybe you're right.