Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs push for NT deal & Dogs chasing interstate cash for home games (2 articl

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Yep, strongly agree with these posts. Darwin has a lot of advantages over the other venues:

1/ It's ours, no other club plays up there and the locals love their footy. Playing up there on a regular basis will give us a pocket of support and mybe even extra memberships.

2/ It's a home ground that we could learn to play well at and turn it into 'Fort Marrarra' A proper home away from home where we can pencil in at least two wins at the start of the season

3/ The locals love football already

4/ The local economy is booming-lot's of money making/sponsorship opportunities.

This is an opportunity for the club, it shouldnt be seen as a problem.
    If we are going to sell home games this post from TD, makes sense.

Skilled Stadium = money in the bank for Geelong and some for us

Darwin = Huge money in the bank for WB, plus opportunity for more membership. Hawks have 6000 Tassie members, through 4 games a year. At least by having two games plus the community involvement we may be able to get some members.

I have been up to Darwin twice and its great fun. The first year I went up, I was down near the harbour where the ferries come in, and a ferry had just pulled in from one of the Islands, I think it was the Tiwi Islands. I couldn't believe my eyes, seeing all these local Tiwi Islands wearing bulldog jumpers, it was a great site.

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs push for NT deal & Dogs chasing interstate cash for home games (2 articl

A few weeks ago when we said we weren't wanting to continue in Darwin I said we were just upping the ante re the bottom line and that seems to be the case.

As far as the female Age journalist is concerend you just have to read the second para carefully and look at the adjectives to see it is a piece with all her usual asperations and false assumptions. I stopped at that point; I might be a dog supporter but unlike her I don't enjoy or practise chasing my own tail.
    I believe there's nothing on this earth that we own. All we do is look after it for our children - Terry Wheeler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by firstdogonthemoon View Post
    It is the lesser of two evils. But it is still evil. I would prefer to play at Kardinia park (not against Geelong though).
    The AFL will give us much more to play games interstate than we could earn playing at Kardinia Park.

If we where to play two in a row in Darwin it would give our supporters a chance to stay for a week.
    Why don't the Dogs approach the NT tourism bureau like the Hawks did to Tassie and get a sponsorship ?

You will never, ever know until you give the Bulldogs a go !
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    The AFL will give us much more to play games interstate than we could earn playing at Kardinia Park.

If we where to play two in a row in Darwin it would give our supporters a chance to stay for a week.
    Why don't the Dogs approach the NT tourism bureau like the Hawks did to Tassie and get a sponsorship ?

You will never, ever know until you give the Bulldogs a go !
    We have been working with various parts of the NT govt for some years. the idea of two games a week apart was a joint NT tourism/Bulldogs idea I understand, for the very reason you suggest.

When it first surfaced some 2-3 years ago there was some debate about where it would fit in the calender so it didn't cut across other high tourist times like school holidays and neither the AFL nor the NT Govt were ready to put their hands in their pockets.

It will be interesting to see if the Gold Coast and Sydney's West are still an almost total preoccupation, or if a national perspective is now possible.
    I believe there's nothing on this earth that we own. All we do is look after it for our children - Terry Wheeler

Post Thanks / Like

With so many interstate away games when West Sydney and Gold Coast come in, and these interstate home games, i think it will be to the detriment of the Bulldogs connection with its Victorian supporter base. Not to mention the fact that it will have a negative impact on our on-field performance.The elephant in the room is that the AFL screwed up big time with its contractaul arrangements with Docklands. Its ridiculous that the biggest national sport has nowhere for many of its Clubs to play so that they don't lose money playing.

Nowhere else in the world does such inept mismanagement from a competitions governing body happen. Take for example the EPL: most soccer clubs don't get a gate of 40,000 week in week out ( the biggies do, but most don't), but none lose money if they don't. But EPL Clubs own and re-develop their own grounds. Its just bad management and bad planning by the AFL for allowing Princess Park, Western Oval, and even Windy Hill go downhill and not developing them . My old man always said: never rent- buy and own your own place, that way you're not at the mercy of the landlord. Same principle applies here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stefcep View Post
    With so many interstate away games when West Sydney and Gold Coast come in, and these interstate home games, i think it will be to the detriment of the Bulldogs connection with its Victorian supporter base. Not to mention the fact that it will have a negative impact on our on-field performance.The elephant in the room is that the AFL screwed up big time with its contractaul arrangements with Docklands. Its ridiculous that the biggest national sport has nowhere for many of its Clubs to play so that they don't lose money playing.

Nowhere else in the world does such inept mismanagement from a competitions governing body happen. Take for example the EPL: most soccer clubs don't get a gate of 40,000 week in week out ( the biggies do, but most don't), but none lose money if they don't. But EPL Clubs own and re-develop their own grounds. Its just bad management and bad planning by the AFL for allowing Princess Park, Western Oval, and even Windy Hill go downhill and not developing them . My old man always said: never rent- buy and own your own place, that way you're not at the mercy of the landlord. Same principle applies here.
    I am very concerned this has raised it's head again. Normally I support the club and its decision 100% but this one I am struggling with. I honestly thought this issue was closed, as that is the message they have portrade to me through the media that Intersate Home Games will be no longer after 2009.
    If we keep selling our home games we will not be taken seriously by the AFL, opposition clubs, supporters and the media.

Now alot of you will say I'd prefer to have a club than no club at all and I agree. But
    I'd prefer to play all home games in Victoria and give us a greater chance of winning a grand final and have no money in the bank, rather than have money in the bank and be mediocre.

Post Thanks / Like

We were first told to move interstate or fold, then it was to merge or fold. Seems to me this just the same thing going around, but alittle bit sweeter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobmurphy View Post
    I am very concerned this has raised it's head again. Normally I support the club and its decision 100% but this one I am struggling with. I honestly thought this issue was closed, as that is the message they have portrade to me through the media that Intersate Home Games will be no longer after 2009.
    If we keep selling our home games we will not be taken seriously by the AFL, opposition clubs, supporters and the media.

Now alot of you will say I'd prefer to have a club than no club at all and I agree. But
    I'd prefer to play all home games in Victoria and give us a greater chance of winning a grand final and have no money in the bank, rather than have money in the bank and be mediocre.
    Bob, I'd like us to travel as little as the pies do, but better I'd like their balance sheet where writing off $3m in badly run hotels is no problem. The fact is we are in the greatest danger if we don't at least balance our books, remember 1989. I don't think there is anything but survival in this and rather than not being taken seriously for the Darwin experiment I think it helps our credibilty considerably. As for dire premonitions, these are only the preliminary negotiation stages and we may get beaten to the tender, so it's a bit early to get too upset.

Finally you present us with a dichotomy which needs considering, but I'm not sure it's an accurate one. No one I know of has said that the presence of games in Darwin is a major factor in the winning or losing of a Premiership. I'm not even sure how much more difficult it is to manage the Darwin trip than the Perth trip.

I haven't talked about it with the current conditioning mob but their predecessors thought after some trial and error they could manage the recovery aspects well enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Less than 12 months ago, North boldly stated that they would prefer to die on their feet than live on their knees - 3 Etihad home matches in a row against interstate clubs and they might just get their wish.

Hell, I could live with 2, even 3 matches in Darwin a season if it meant I had a club to continue to support in this competition. Canberra, Sydney and Tasmania are not markets that we have willingly nurtured - Darwin is. Let's make it our 2nd home, and reap the benefits accordingly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysadog View Post
    Bob, I'd like us to travel as little as the pies do, but better I'd like their balance sheet where writing off $3m in badly run hotels is no problem. The fact is we are in the greatest danger if we don't at least balance our books, remember 1989. I don't think there is anything but survival in this and rather than not being taken seriously for the Darwin experiment I think it helps our credibilty considerably. As for dire premonitions, these are only the preliminary negotiation stages and we may get beaten to the tender, so it's a bit early to get too upset.

Finally you present us with a dichotomy which needs considering, but I'm not sure it's an accurate one. No one I know of has said that the presence of games in Darwin is a major factor in the winning or losing of a Premiership. I'm not even sure how much more difficult it is to manage the Darwin trip than the Perth trip.

I haven't talked about it with the current conditioning mob but their predecessors thought after some trial and error they could manage the recovery aspects well enough.
    Alwaysadog, your posts always provide interesting reading and always another perspective on things. I understand the reasonings behind it all and heavens forbid we re-visit 1989. As you said lets wait and see what is proposed and finally settled on.
    In regards to the travel factor and recovery that is an unknown, but having said that truely great teams (West Coast early 90s) overcome all hurdles in their way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    I'm not saying if Rocket will like it or not, I'm just saying that if you're going to write in a newspaper that he has 'strong misgivings' you should bloody well ask him and quote him instead of just writing it as an insinuation based on half-truths.

I think Eddie McGuire summed it up best when he said about Caroline Wilson that she 'confuses (her own) opinion with fact'. She certainly doesn't distinguish between the two, which is deceitful and dishonest journalism at worst, incompetent rubbish at best.

I also think she writes rubbish about the Bulldogs and other clubs to take the spotlight off her under performing club.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

But why exactly are we in this situation? I believe getting 35,000 to a home and away club game is a great result, hell the NRL chiefs would be losing control of their sphincters if their clubs could do this. So why can't we make money, why do we have to go to Darwin? Its because of the AFL's deal with the Docklands management ie it not out club's fault. And as the club said that we wouldn't be playing home games interstate after this year, and the fact its back again means that the both the club and AFL didn't expect this. The AFL should make up the dollar shortfall when we don't make a profit at Docklands.

And make no mistake it will have an impact on our on-field results: 2 trips to West Australia, two to Adelaide, probably 4 to NSW, two to Queensland and at least 2 in Darwin, thats 12 interstate games per year. Thats not far off what the Eagles had to do in the past. The Eagles were far weaker when they played away than home for a long long time. Even then it took all of their resources, concessional draft picks etc to win a premiership.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stefcep View Post

And make no mistake it will have an impact on our on-field results: 2 trips to West Australia, two to Adelaide, probably 4 to NSW, two to Queensland and at least 2 in Darwin, thats 12 interstate games per year. Thats not far off what the Eagles had to do in the past. The Eagles were far weaker when they played away than home for a long long time. Even then it took all of their resources, concessional draft picks etc to win a premiership.
    Unless we sold every possible match and played every interstate team twice we wouldn't play twelve. BTW i don't think they're looking at selling games to Sydney again, just playing home games in Darwin against say Brisbane or Port

Post Thanks / Like

Dogs, PT Adel and Melbourne all throwing their hat in the ring...

AFL teams vie to play in NT
    Northern Territory News
    GREY MORRIS
    May 27th, 2009

DARWIN'S TIO Stadium could be hosting two AFL premiership matches from 2010.

Negotiations between the Western Bulldogs, Port Adelaide, Melbourne, the NT Government and the AFL to sell their home games and move north are set to be finalised as early as next month.

Financial backing from the government as high as $1.5 million a year for the two matches is being sought by the clubs.

The Bulldogs, who play their sixth "home" game in Darwin next month, have done an about-turn on playing in Darwin past 2009.

The poor stadium deal they have with Etihad Stadium in Melbourne has forced them to start looking at Darwin, Tasmania and a joint sharing arrangement with Geelong.

Significantly, Port Adelaide and Melbourne have strong NT and indigenous connections with the Burgoynes and Motlops at Port Adelaide and Aaron Davey, Austin Wonaeamirri and Matthew Whelan at the Demons.

A new five-year, 10-match deal, with the successful club selling two home games in Melbourne or Adelaide, is under discussion.

AFLNT boss Tony Frawley confirmed last night the three-way contest to play home games in Darwin was close to completion.

"We're talking to all three of them and it's very pleasing to see the interest being generated," he said.

"Obviously the ordinary stadium deals the clubs are getting has started all this. And, importantly, we want a club with the right motivation who will sell the Territory's brand in all the right ways."

NT Sports Minister Karl Hampton stopped short of discussing any monetary deals.

"The AFL and the clubs recognise what outstanding facilities we have in the Territory," he said.

"While we value the relationship with the Doggies, we will be strongly seeking the best possible deal for Territory footy fans."

Frawley said the two-game deal meant the annual February NAB Cup pre-season fixtures in Darwin would become the sole domain of Traeger Park in Alice Springs.

The Territory link would be further enforced with a map of the NT, Uluru, Kakadu or a saltwater crocodile to be worn on guernseys and jumpers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Unless we sold every possible match and played every interstate team twice we wouldn't play twelve. BTW i don't think they're looking at selling games to Sydney again, just playing home games in Darwin against say Brisbane or Port
    We would still be looking at around 8 interstate trips per year.