Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Magpies coach Malthouse a tosser: Hardie

Douggie Hawkins view on the subject....

Mick Malthouse was wrong to overlook Brad Hardie - Doug Hawkins
    The Herald Sun
    Mark Stevens | June 09, 2009

BULLDOGS great Doug Hawkins defended former teammate Brad Hardie, declaring he should have been a no-brainer for Mick Malthouse's best team. "I'm not talking best 22. Best 18," Hawkins said last night.

"In my opinion, Brad had the same impact in two years under Mick as some took six to 10 years to achieve."

Hardie branded Malthouse a "tosser" after he left him out of not only his best side, but also an "alternative" team of 31 players.

Malthouse was asked by the Sunday Herald Sun to name the best players he has coached in a decorated career with Footscray, West Coast and Collingwood.

Jim Edmond's omission also raised eyebrows given he captained the Dogs to a preliminary final in 1985, but the snub of Hardie opened old wounds.

"If it is his favourite team, that is fine, I am not going to be in his favourite team. If it his best team, yes I should be in it," Hardie said on Perth's radio 6PR on Monday.

"The bloke is a tosser and there are a lot of people in the industry that think it, but don't have the balls to say it."

Hardie won a Brownlow in 1985 under Malthouse and followed it with a club best-and-fairest in 1986.

But the relationship soured in Round 21, 1986, when Hardie waved his jumper at the coach's box after being dragged.

The attacking back-pocket player left for Brisbane, but Hawkins said his influence should be remembered.

"He was in the best three or four I played with," Hawkins said.

"We're friends, but I thought he was a good team bloke.

"The people of the western suburbs loved him. He had that knockabout element.

"No doubt, Mick and Brad aren't talking and it is sad. They are three-quarters dead. Let's move on. Life is too short."

Hawkins said he had no problem with Malthouse, who placed him on a half-back flank in his best team.

"He was a very good coach, but when Brad took his jumper off, that was the last straw," Hawkins said.

"Brad went to Brisbane. They couldn't come to a compromise."

Hawkins said Hardie had for years been unfairly criticised for allowing Leigh Matthews to cut loose in the final term of the 1985 preliminary final as Hawthorn stormed home.

"Brad's performance was outstanding that day. You've got to remember Matthews was moved off him," Hawkins said.

"But Matthews was never beaten and came back on. A couple of the goals nobody could have done anything about."

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Magpies coach Malthouse a tosser: Hardie & other related articles

Was anyone at Waverly Park when Hardie took off his jumper and started waving it at Mick in the coaches box, I remember it well.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I was there, saw it on the big scoreboard at Waverley and wondered what had happened.
    Hawkins loses credibility when he says Hardie is a mate, of course he is going to say he should be in the side.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    I was there, saw it on the big scoreboard at Waverley and wondered what had happened.
    Hawkins loses credibility when he says Hardie is a mate, of course he is going to say he should be in the side.
    Why does it lose credibility? Anyone with half a brain would know he should be in the side.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Why does it lose credibility? Anyone with half a brain would know he should be in the side.
    ahead of who in the 1st team? I loved watching Hardie play but he was not the most accountable footballer going around.
    What I am surprised about is that Malthouse picked McLean on a wing in the Alternate team yet always played him on the bench.
    I rated Magic highly just did not think Malthouse saw the best of him at the Dogs.

Post Thanks / Like

The Brad Hardie jumper waving incident showed that Brad had no faith Malthouse making coaching decisions. Hard to have faith in one who does not express it. Does not suprise me one bit Hardie was left out of both teams under those circumstances.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    Everyone's a mate of Dougie. (Maybe not Alan Joyce)
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

I thought it was childish to wave the jumper at the coach at the time,hardie had to go.
    presti well not being a star is very very reliable,I mean who really cares. remember that game for a bit of surfing on Kernahan's back from one Rick kennedy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaDruid View Post
    The Brad Hardie jumper waving incident showed that Brad had no faith Malthouse making coaching decisions. Hard to have faith in one who does not express it. Does not suprise me one bit Hardie was left out of both teams under those circumstances.
    Brad has touch of the Wallace's [all about me]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    I thought it was childish to wave the jumper at the coach at the time,hardie had to go.
    presti well not being a star is very very reliable,I mean who really cares. remember that game for a bit of surfing on Kernahan's back from one Rick kennedy.
    delete
    Last edited by bornadog; 17-02-2020 at 04:25 PM.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Never seen Hardie but surely better than Liccuria who made the first team's bench

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Never seen Hardie but surely better than Liccuria who made the first team's bench
    There is no question that he is good enough but it's more around why Malthouse didn't select him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    There is no question that he is good enough but it's more around why Malthouse didn't select him.
    Hardie deserved to be in that team - his ommision from either team shows Malthouse still holds a grudge. Hardie perhaps shouldn't have stoked the fire, Brad Johnson was on the Today show this morning and he also said that Ex players shouldn't get too caught up in such things.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Hardie just wasn't as coachable as the other players in his teams, this is something he rates above all else.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I know who I'd rather go to war with. One would take a bullet for you the other....well, he probably would not.