Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Betezy and the Western Bulldogs – a winning quinella

I understand this is an issue for a lot of people and I'm sure the club thought long and hard about it. Rather than get stuck into each other I suggest that those who aren't comfortable with the clubs decision follow Bulldogmans lead and contact the club. The decisions been made and we won't resolve it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I understand this is an issue for a lot of people and I'm sure the club thought long and hard about it. Rather than get stuck into each other I suggest that those who aren't comfortable with the clubs decision follow Bulldogmans lead and contact the club. The decisions been made and we won't resolve it.

Just make sure you get your facts right when you contact the club, unlike Bulldogsman.
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    No, I'd rather get stuck into each other. I am quite accepting of the club's decision, they are running a business and doing nothing illegal. The morality of it is a whole different issue, however I also accept that the club's view differs from mine.

But I reserve the right to bitch and moan about the heartless sods on this board who would be the first to squeal (and put their hands out) if the government or some corporation did something that adversely affected them or their families but are happy to turn a blind eye to the suffering of others because it will be advantageous to our glorious club.

That being said, I feel much better now and I think I might go and have a lie down.
    Official Cartoonist for the Western Bulldogs. True!

Post Thanks / Like

I just signed up with them.

I've got no problems with them as a sponser. If it helps my team out I'm all for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Gambling!!! Im there!

Goooooooooo Doggies!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    I just signed up with them.

I've got no problems with them as a sponser. If it helps my team out I'm all for it.

Me too. I've had all sorts of problems with addictions but betting has never been one.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by firstdogonthemoon View Post
    No, I'd rather get stuck into each other. I am quite accepting of the club's decision, they are running a business and doing nothing illegal. The morality of it is a whole different issue, however I also accept that the club's view differs from mine.

But I reserve the right to bitch and moan about the heartless sods on this board who would be the first to squeal (and put their hands out) if the government or some corporation did something that adversely affected them or their families but are happy to turn a blind eye to the suffering of others because it will be advantageous to our glorious club.
    Such as yourself?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aker39 View Post
    Just make sure you get your facts right when you contact the club, unlike Bulldogsman.
    Yeah fair enough and the club has already pointed this out to me. But that doesn't matter, the point still stands. I can't be supporting something that supports gambling.

Quote Originally Posted by theimmortalmike View Post
    Secondly, moral high horses are fine but are you similarly not supporting anything with cigarette, fast food and alcohol sponsorships, all which destroy more lives than gambling could ever hope to. If you can honestly say you don't support any organization with those types of sponsors then fair enough and by all means continue with your moral crusade. However, if you do, take a good hard look at the hypocrite staring at you in the mirror mate.

Unfortunately, (as with cigarettes and alcohol) gambling is both harmful and legal. The Doggies admin are just doing what needs to be done for us to be financially viable, and we do a whole hell of alot more good in the community than we do bad. That is more than some other clubs who have stronger ties with gambling establishments. So personally my problem with this is minimal at worst.
    Mate I don't support any of this, nor do I do any of this except for eating fast food. I admit i'm not strongly against fast food but that's because i think it isn't as bad as the others. Does that make me a hypocrite? I guess your going to call me a lier now.

It doesn't matter if they are doing more good then bad and I don't care if their using that gambling money to help with other peoples needs. It's not right and I can't sit back and see people's lives be destroyed. I wouldn't be surprised if the club gets more pokies or becomes more involved with this sponsor deal. There's a lot of money to be gained and it can be hard to pass down more.

Post Thanks / Like

Whether we like it or not, gambling is not illegal & all clubs are raking a cut from it, some in 'our own backyard' (Hawthorn - Caroline Springs, Collingwood - Caroline Springs, Geelong - Point Cook, Essendon - Melton).

Taking the high moral ground is all good & well, but if we're the only team not deriving revenue from it, don't grizzle when unpalatable decisions are made as a result of the bottom line.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    Whether we like it or not, gambling is not illegal & all clubs are raking a cut from it, some in 'our own backyard' (Hawthorn - Caroline Springs, Collingwood - Caroline Springs, Geelong - Point Cook, Essendon - Melton).

Taking the high moral ground is all good & well, but if we're the only team not deriving revenue from it, don't grizzle when unpalatable decisions are made as a result of the bottom line.

Precisely, it's gonna happen whether we like it or not because if we dont other clubs will.

We can either be extinct with an untroubled consience or we can get with the program and survive. People are going to gamble whether it's Hawthorn, Richmond or the AFL providing the means-we arent saving anyone from themselves if we dont do it.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

We all have choices in life, I choose not to gamble, well not seriously anyway.
    It is an illness, the Bulldogs did not cause the illness nor did any other club who derive revenue this way.
    I choose to drink in moderation (younger days excluded). I have had friends who are alcoholics, they chose it, it did not choose them. Sometimes we have to take responsibility of our lives and not blame others......

Post Thanks / Like

I have no problem with it, its legal, petition your local member if you dont like it. Like anything the individual and parents have to take responsibility for being a gambling addict, alcoholic etc once it is a legal part of society. We dont want to miss the opportunity for a bit of moral high ground., especially when other (wealthier clubs) are raking in the profits. I am sure if the club had an equally profitable alternative they would have taken it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by firstdogonthemoon View Post

That being said, I feel much better now and I think I might go and have a lie down.
    That's a nice strawman FDOTM calling people heartless sods when you don't know everyone's position on this issue. I actually agree with everything you wrote and am just as distressed at the amount of lives affected by gambling addiction but I'm also distressed about corporate greed, fast food addiction, alcoholism, and smoking, all of which are legal and destroy more people's lives than gambling addiction. My (and most others) issue is with the double standard of when its the Aussie cricketing team being sponsored by VB its fine, or the AFL being sponsored by Betfair, but when the doggies decide to get in on the legal action then the moral outcry begins. I hope you had a nice lie down by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsman View Post
    Mate I don't support any of this, nor do I do any of this except for eating fast food. I admit i'm not strongly against fast food but that's because i think it isn't as bad as the others. Does that make me a hypocrite? I guess your going to call me a lier now.

It doesn't matter if they are doing more good then bad and I don't care if their using that gambling money to help with other peoples needs. It's not right and I can't sit back and see people's lives be destroyed. I wouldn't be surprised if the club gets more pokies or becomes more involved with this sponsor deal. There's a lot of money to be gained and it can be hard to pass down more.
    Interesting considering the childhood obesity epidemic in this country and the fact that most fast food 'restaurants' advertise directly to children. I'm not going to call you a liar mate, if you say you don't support any of the others fair enough. I'm just questioning whether your opposition is consistent, which to be honest I'm not totally sure it is. But you seem to be personally affected by this particular issue, which is not exactly conducive to objectivity. In the end it's your opinion and you are entitled to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Damned if you do damned if you dont.
    A necassary evil as far as survival is concerned.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    We all have choices in life, I choose not to gamble, well not seriously anyway.
    It is an illness, the Bulldogs did not cause the illness nor did any other club who derive revenue this way.
    I choose to drink in moderation (younger days excluded). I have had friends who are alcoholics, they chose it, it did not choose them. Sometimes we have to take responsibility of our lives and not blame others......
    Well said. To many people choose to point fingers rather than take resonsibility in todays society. I'll disagree on one thing gambling is not an illness. I don't think anything is when you have a choice to say yes or no. I'd be more inclined to call it stupidity rather than an illness. Probably sounds harsh to some but thats the way I feel about it.