Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Selling our home games

An interesting article, here are a few excerpts from it that relates to the Bulldogs...

AFL set to bail out Power with $1m aid package
    The Age | Caroline Wilson | June 15, 2009

Re: Selling home games to Adelaide

Demetriou also poured cold water on reported negotiations between the Western Bulldogs and AAMI Stadium and the Adelaide Oval, stressing that the AFL would not schedule home games in Adelaide not involving Port or the Adelaide Crows.

Re: Selling home games to Geelong

While the AFL has been unable to improve deals to date at Etihad Stadium, the MCG or AAMI Stadium, Demetriou also confirmed the league would not entertain the Bulldogs' reported move to sell home games to Skilled Stadium at Geelong in a bid to reap improved revenue for home games, given the Bulldogs' poor returns from Docklands.

So basically, ....

"We are only interested in our developing markets when it comes to selling home games," said Demetriou yesterday. "Those markets are Darwin, Canberra and Tasmania and that has been our position for some time. Nor will we be moving any Adelaide or Port Adelaide home games away from Adelaide."

Port Adelaide and the Western Bulldogs held talks last Friday with Northern Territory Government officials and NTFL boss Tony Frawley regarding a potential two-game package in Darwin from next season, along with a pre-season game in Alice Springs. Bulldogs president David Smorgon said he was unaware of the AFL's stance on Adelaide and Geelong.

---

Hopefully, we can strike up a 2 game Darwin package or just continue on with 1 in Darwin and 1 in Canberra.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Selling our home games

A 2 team town who love their footy and they need to be bailed out. The AFL would have to be concerned with whether West Sydney and the Gold Coast will work given they do not even have footy as their number 1 sport in the state.

Post Thanks / Like

I created a Thread last week expressing my concerns that Port were attempting to submarine us with Darwin (to which at last look there were no replies).

Not to be beaten, I still maintin we need to tie up Darwin for the longer term to supplement our returns from Home games whilst the Etiad impasse remains. This is especially the case now that the AFL has poured cold water on other options.

And we seem to have mastered the challenge of playing games in the heat so e can expect to win whenever we play there

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EJ Smith View Post
    And we seem to have mastered the challenge of playing games in the heat so e can expect to win whenever we play there
    I agree - we have really turned Darwin into a good home advantage. I am happy for us to keep playing there once a year - twice if they can get it.

Post Thanks / Like

I created a Thread last week expressing my concerns that Port were attempting to submarine us with Darwin (to which at last look there were no replies).
    They certainly submarined on Saturday night.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Not to be beaten, I still maintin we need to tie up Darwin for the longer term to supplement our returns from Home games whilst the Etiad impasse remains. This is especially the case now that the AFL has poured cold water on other options.

I have read a couple of times here on WOOF that Port are looking to fill the void up in Darwin if we cannot commit. My understanding is that we are trying to squeeze a bit more money out of the deal whereas both Port and Melbourne would be happy with the offer that has already been made.

Given the economic plight could we really blame the club if they signed up for 2 more years?

I suppose it comes down to either games in Darwin or Canberra and there is positives and negatives in both scenarios.

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't Demitriou say that no Adelaide team will play home games outside of Adelaide?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Given the economic plight could we really blame the club if they signed up for 2 more years?.
    Not at all, we need the money and Darwin seems to have adopted the club with open arms and the players enjoy playing up there. Seeing those kids up there enjoying going to the game and getting into the spirit of things is great.

Post Thanks / Like

So are North going to be allowed to play one of their home games in Perth? Going by AD's reasoning you wouldn't have thought so as Perth isn't what you call a developing market.

It was reported on the Sunday Footy Show that they could receive approx. $750,000 for playing just one game over there playing either of the two WA teams.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    So are North going to be allowed to play one of their home games in Perth? Going by AD's reasoning you wouldn't have thought so as Perth isn't what you call a developing market.

It was reported on the Sunday Footy Show that they could receive approx. $750,000 for playing just one game over there playing either of the two WA teams.
    The main problem with us playing in Adelaide is that we wouldn't be playing the Crows or the Power.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

I've no issue with two home games in Darwin,but recovery from these games does worry me.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmm interesting, next month Demetriou will announce which team/s will play in Canberra 2010/11.....

Demetriou guarantees AFL in ACT for the next two seasons
    The Canberra Times

Manuka Oval will definitely host AFL matches next year, with an announcement on which ones to be made next month.

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou met with ACT Sports Minister Andrew Barr and AFL NSW/ACT general manager Dale Holmes in Canberra yesterday.

The trio discussed AFL fixtures in the ACT for the next two years, plus a longer-term agreement with the proposed Western Sydney team to play matches in the capital from 2012.

The Western Bulldogs and Melbourne Demons's three-year deal to play one premiership game each in the capital expires at the end of this year.

The ACT government had looked like being out-bid by other states for premiership matches. After the precedent was set by the Tasmanian government's multi-million dollar deal with Hawthorn, other state governments upped their offers.

A number of teams, including both the Bulldogs and Melbourne, are interested in the Northern Territory government's multi-million dollar deal to play games in Darwin.

But Demetriou confirmed yesterday there would be AFL games at Manuka Oval.

''It's critical that we maintain the momentum and that we have continuity as we go into 2012,'' Demetriou said. ''I stressed that [yesterday] and certainly that's the same view of the sports minister."