Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Young Bulldog injures neck

Some news on Ayce...

The Age
    Brent Diamond | June 21, 2009

PROMISING Western Bulldogs ruckman Ayce Cordy injured his neck yesterday when he landed awkwardly in a marking contest in Williamstown's 61-point win against Geelong yesterday.

Williamstown's Cordy, the Bulldogs' father-son selection in last year's draft, flew high but crashed to the ground, landing on his neck. He was taken off on a stretcher wearing a neck brace and taken to Epworth Hospital.

Club officials said there didn't appear to be any structural damage but Williamstown coach Brad Gotch said "we just have to wait and see".

Gotch said Cordy had been developing strongly enough in recent weeks to suggest that he could soon make his AFL debut.

Tom Williams came off in the third quarter with hamstring tightness and Tim Callan spent most of the second half on the sidelines with concussion.

"(Williams) just tightened up a little bit. Maybe it was just the cold day. We just didn't risk him," Gotch said. "We were 70 points up, so we just took him off."

Sam Reid was again impressive with 22 disposals.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Young Bulldog injures neck

Quote Originally Posted by BulldogBelle View Post
    Some news on Ayce...

The Age
    Brent Diamond | June 21, 2009

PROMISING Western Bulldogs ruckman Ayce Cordy injured his neck yesterday when he landed awkwardly in a marking contest in Williamstown's 61-point win against Geelong yesterday.

Williamstown's Cordy, the Bulldogs' father-son selection in last year's draft, flew high but crashed to the ground, landing on his neck. He was taken off on a stretcher wearing a neck brace and taken to Epworth Hospital.
    Club officials said there didn't appear to be any structural damage but Williamstown coach Brad Gotch said "we just have to wait and see".

Gotch said Cordy had been developing strongly enough in recent weeks to suggest that he could soon make his AFL debut.

Tom Williams came off in the third quarter with hamstring tightness and Tim Callan spent most of the second half on the sidelines with concussion.

"(Williams) just tightened up a little bit. Maybe it was just the cold day. We just didn't risk him," Gotch said. "We were 70 points up, so we just took him off."

Sam Reid was again impressive with 22 disposals.
    I swear these two things just didn't happen...
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Fingers crossed for the young fella. Williams might be okay according to Brad Gotch,taken off with hamstring tightness

Post Thanks / Like

I must admit that I didn't see Cordy injure himself, but as I was leaving the ground an ambulance did pass me heading in that direction.

Sounds like he is ok which is great.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I swear these two things just didn't happen...

I didnt see him being taken off on a stretcher either, and i didnt see no neck brace when he was walking to the club rooms or the ambulance or where ever they were taken him, he did look very sore tho. I could be wrong tho...

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like Brent is stretching the story a bit then, never let the truth spoil a good story.

Post Thanks / Like

Cordy was definatly not taken from the ground on a stretcher, but maybe he was taken on one from the rooms to the ambo?????

Post Thanks / Like

i read that story this morning and was very worried. Good to hear that at least half of it was rubbish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_west View Post
    Cordy was definatly not taken from the ground on a stretcher, but maybe he was taken on one from the rooms to the ambo?????
    Maybe he meant from the ground including the outer areas, technically he is wrong saying the "ground" but then again if i say i went to the ground to watch them play i wasnt actually on "the ground"

Post Thanks / Like

Wasnt Callan concussed a couple of weeks ago also?

Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldog Ayce Cordy cleared of neck break

WESTERN Bulldogs' father-son recruit Ayce Cordy has escaped serious injury after an awkward fall in a marking contest.

Cordy was playing for VFL affiliate Williamstown on Saturday when he went down.

The 18-year-old was taken from the ground in a neck brace, but Williamstown coach Brad Gotch said scans cleared Cordy of any damage.

"He got the all-clear. It's more like a whiplash-type neck injury where you feel a bit sore," Gotch said.

"So there's no fractures or damage. He's fine as far as I know."

Another concern for the Bulldogs was injury-prone defender Tom Williams, who came off after feeling tightness in his lower back.

"He was on and off a little bit because we were trying to manage his game time," Gotch said.

"So then we thought we're going to take all precautions with him. He was moving freely enough, but they (the medical staff) didn't want to risk him."

Post Thanks / Like

That is good to hear, hope he gets well soon.

A couple of weeks rest and recovery for the young man.