Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Elliotts reign at Carlton

Well it just gets worse doesnt it, now its paying off women who were allegedly raped by players, not a good way to keep your female supporters i would imagine.

What does bringing this story to the press do for the club and why would you bring it up?
    He pays them to shut up but then brings it up himself?

I am totally at a loss on why he would ever even mention it unless he is trying to hurt the club for some reason.

And this bloke could have been prime minister!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Elliotts reign at Carlton

Do you have the story?

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Footy 'hush cash'Article from: Sunday Herald SunFont size: Decrease Increase Email article: Email Print article: Print Submit comment: Submit comment Ellen Whinnett

June 21, 2009 12:00am
    FORMER Carlton president John Elliott has revealed the club paid women he claims falsely complained they were raped by Blues players.

Mr Elliott said the club had paid "four or five" women about $5000 each to keep them from going public.

The payments were made when Mr Elliott was president during the 1980s and '90s.

Mr Elliott said he believed the women had made up stories of rape and had, in fact, had consensual sex with players.

But he said the club had concerns one woman might be telling the truth. She also had accepted hush money.

Mr Elliott made the comments at a fund-raiser where he was debating the role of the media in sport, but went further when he spoke to the Sunday Herald Sun yesterday.

Asked why the women were paid off, he said: "We didn't want it to get in the press."

Mr Elliott said some women had been told to "go away", but others were paid.

He believed they had probably consented and then backtracked.

"There's some very ordinary people out there," he said.

He said the club thought the pay-offs were appropriate.

". . . rather than go through a huge front-page story . . . in all cases I know except one, the players denied it," he said.

He said he did not know if the women's claims were true and the chief executives of the day dealt with the complaints.

"We just sort of said, 'Righto, here's five grand, off you go' and they'd leave," he said.

Mr Elliott said all women offered payments took the money and dropped their complaints, which he said gave him confidence their stories had not been true.

But he said there was one case that was not so clear.

"Of the four or five, there was one that we were worried about, the others we knew were not true or we were told by the players they weren't true," he said.

Club spokesman Ian Coutts said: "John Elliott does not speak on behalf of the Carlton Football Club."

Post Thanks / Like

Pigs @rse!

Post Thanks / Like

Just another thread added to the rich tapestry that is the culture of the Carlton Football Club.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

If this isnt taken further i will be very surprised , the AFL couldnt possibly let this one go.
    I can see Demetriou, head in hands saying oh no not again, bloody Carlton.

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't surprise at all, coming from CAAAAARLTON. The AFL ought to investigate, and if Jack's claims are in any way true, take more draft picks off them. They've been proven to be cheats before.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    If this isnt taken further i will be very surprised , the AFL couldnt possibly let this one go.
    I can see Demetriou, head in hands saying oh no not again, bloody Carlton.
    You're kidding!

Demetriou won't go near this with a barge pole.

"We don't respond to heresay"

AFL tactics 101 - ignore or deny, when wait until the media are sick of it.

Post Thanks / Like

heresay? it was the president at the time , thats straight from the horses mouth.

Post Thanks / Like

The one that he was worried might be true, wonder if it involved a 95 premiership forward that I'm sure we've all heard rumours about.....

Just disgraceful
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

In 2003, I was boarding a plane from Sydney back to Melbourne and there was an AFL team that had played the previous night also boarding. I heard two well known players discussing a woman and some incident. One player said to the other, what are you going to do, and he said I will give her $5000 to keep her mouth shut.

I won't name the team (not Carlton (or doggies) per this thread), or the players.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    In 2003, I was boarding a plane from Sydney back to Melbourne and there was an AFL team that had played the previous night also boarding. I heard two well known players discussing a woman and some incident. One player said to the other, what are you going to do, and he said I will give her $5000 to keep her mouth shut.

I won't name the team (not Carlton (or doggies) per this thread), or the players.
    Had you been umpiring?

Post Thanks / Like

good way to narrow it down SS.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    Had you been umpiring?
    haha,

we were actually lining up to board, and the players were standing behind me, whispering.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.