Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Williams ready to go for Bulldogs this weekend

Williams ready to go for Bulldogs this weekend

By Jennifer Witham
    5:28 PM Mon 22 June, 2009

Western Bulldogs defender Tom Williams is expected to be available for selection for Sunday's clash with North Melbourne despite being hampered by back tightness during Williamstown's 61-point win over Geelong on Saturday.

Williams, 22, was playing his first game in almost a month after overcoming a persistent plantar fascia injury.

While the Bulldogs confirmed Williams suffered back soreness during the VFL hit-out at Burbank Oval, they said he was expected to be in the selection mix for Sunday's AFL clash with North Melbourne.

"He had some tightness but he's fine," general manager of football James Fantasia said on Monday.

"The foot is all good now, so he'll be available. Selection will happen on Wednesday and he'll be in contention."

Fantasia said Ayce Cordy had escaped serious neck damage after an incident that saw him taken from the field in a neck brace.

"Concussion was the only concern in the end, and sometimes you've just got to wait and see," he said.

"Whenever there is a neck involved, people get worried about it, which is why they erred on the side of caution and took him off in the brace because of the way he came down on it. But he got X-rayed and everything was fine."

Fantasia said Tim Callan would also be monitored this week after suffering another concussion against Geelong while utility Stephen Tiller would miss two weeks with a hip flexor strain.

Young defender Paul O'Shea will play his first game for the year next weekend after finally overcoming a hip injury that required surgery on the eve of the season.

"He's been a long-term injury so that's good news for him," Fantasia said.

"We won't play him this week but he'll line up for Williamstown next week."

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Williams ready to go for Bulldogs this weekend

I would say Williams was lucky to play 30% of game time on Saturday, so lets hope he is right to go.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

If Paul O'Shea comes back to play doesn't someone else have to be put on the long term injury list for Picken to play?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieSigley View Post
    If Paul O'Shea comes back to play doesn't someone else have to be put on the long term injury list for Picken to play?
    No.

Refer here:

Look at post #26

Post Thanks / Like

Ta Cain

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I would say Williams was lucky to play 30% of game time on Saturday, so lets hope he is right to go.
    If he only played 30% of the game then surely he will be held back another week

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    We may have to play him because of the lack of height. We got away with it against Port but North have the players to really stretch our defence. Williams may have to come in because of this. Tiller the other option is on the shelf for 2 weeks.

Probably will be a wet day though, if that is the case I'd sit Williams out this week and go in unchanged.

Post Thanks / Like

He will probably be named but I have doubts that he would play.

Post Thanks / Like

I think he is on the ground maybe 70% of the first and second quarters and I hardly sighted him in the second half. Lets see how he pulls up tomorrow after training.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by g-mo77 View Post
    we may have to play him because of the lack of height. We got away with it against port but north have the players to really stretch our defence. Williams may have to come in because of this. Tiller the other option is on the shelf for 2 weeks.

Probably will be a wet day though, if that is the case i'd sit williams out this week and go in unchanged.
    i very rarely feel confident about winning but we will smash north. Excuse the capitals but my key is stuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!