Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Midfield pressure will stifle Buddy, says Lake

Midfield pressure will stifle Buddy, says Lake

BULLDOGS defender Brian Lake says the key to stopping Hawthorn forward Lance Franklin is to put pressure on the Hawks’ midfield.

Franklin starred last time the two teams met booting eight goals in Hawthorn’s 51-point win in last year’s qualifying final.

Lake spent time on Franklin that night and said the key to avoiding a repeat performance this week was to cut off his supply.

“Buddy had a great year last year and we just couldn’t contain him. He was too big and agile and he was pretty much unstoppable,” Lake told westernbulldogs.com.au.

“I did go on him in the second half of that game and they gave it to him cleanly. It’s not just us in the backline, it’s also up to the midfielders to put the pressure on and to limit the opportunities and put pressure on the kicks coming in to make our job a little bit easier.”

Lake is likely to spend at least some time on Franklin this week but he says he has not spent the lead-up studying him too closely.

“I won’t go and sit in the coach’s office or the backline coach’s office and watch hours of tape. I watched a bit of footage during the week but when you’ve played on a guy a couple of times you sort of know how they play anyway,” he said.

“It’s more about how the ball is coming in. He’s moving around a bit more, he’s working up the ground. There’s no doubt I’ll have him for a bit of time but they’ve also got Jarryd Roughead up there who you’ve got to monitor as well.”

While Lake says there has been no discussion of using last year’s disappointing loss as motivation, there would be plenty of Bulldogs keen to atone for the defeat.

“It hasn’t really been mentioned but it would be sticking in the back of a lot of guys’ minds. I know it sticks in mine,” he said.

“They did embarrass us that night and while this isn’t redemption because they won the premiership, we know what we did wrong and that first final we played wasn’t up to scratch. To beat the reigning premiers would be a great bonus for us.”

Hawthorn’s has made a poor start to 2009 but despite the lack of results the Bulldogs would not be taking them lightly.

“They are still reigning premiers,” Lake said. “They are still a team to beat. No doubt they’ve got some injuries but they’ve still got some quality players up forward, in the midfield and down back.”

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Midfield pressure will stifle Buddy, says Lake

Does this qualify as a brain fade?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Does this qualify as a brain fade?
    Why would you say that?

I think the article makes a lot of sense and puts the onus on our mids & forwards to apply enough pressure such that Buddy and Roughead don't get supplied with 'clean' footy.

Post Thanks / Like

What Brian says makes a lot of sense. Our midfield got murdered in the final, and I’m sure it has been reiterated again and again during the week that we must pressure their ball carriers to ensure Buddy and Rough don’t get an armchair ride.

Thinking about last year’s final brings back bad memories of Farren Ray coughing up hospital handball after hospital handball.

*shudder*
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post

Thinking about last year’s final brings back bad memories of Farren Ray coughing up hospital handball after hospital handball.

*shudder*
    That +

Boydy have the worst attack of the fumbles of all time or whatabout Eagleton continually turning it over or getting his kick smothered time and time again by turning back into traffic to try and kick on his left.

What about..... I better stop cause I am trying to forget this game and this isn't helping.

Post Thanks / Like

when the pressure of finals footy was on in that first final, we failed miserably. Finals tend to bring out the best and worst in players. Hopefully we have learnt from that shocking loss against Hawthorn last year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Why would you say that?

I think the article makes a lot of sense and puts the onus on our mids & forwards to apply enough pressure such that Buddy and Roughead don't get supplied with 'clean' footy.
    Because what purpose does it serve?

All it does is create further pressure on us.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    That +

Boydy have the worst attack of the fumbles of all time or whatabout Eagleton continually turning it over or getting his kick smothered time and time again by turning back into traffic to try and kick on his left.

What about..... I better stop cause I am trying to forget this game and this isn't helping.
    Our list of contributors that night started and ended with Griffen. I hope the team continues to use this game as a 'year zero' moment to spur them on this year, much like the Hawks used their capitulation against North in the 2007 finals series.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    What Brian says makes a lot of sense. Our midfield got murdered in the final, and I’m sure it has been reiterated again and again during the week that we must pressure their ball carriers to ensure Buddy and Rough don’t get an armchair ride.

*shudder*
    Totally agree. The backline and forward line can only function well if the midfield is at worst break even with the opposition.

Yes Comrade Ray did cough the footy up, but he was pretty much the only guy he kept getting it.