Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bulldogs to speak to Hall

Looks like the Dogs are keen to chat to Barry Hall...

Bulldogs to speak to Hall
    The Age
    Jake Niall | July 22, 2009

THE Western Bulldogs have confirmed that they will speak to Barry Hall before season's end in a bid to ascertain whether he is interested in playing football next year.

While the Dogs have been coy about their interest in the key forward, who quit the Swans and football earlier this month, the club said last night that it would speak to Hall later this season, to find out what he intended to do in 2010.

Hall has not ruled out returning to football, having suggested — before his exit from the Swans — that he might be best to find another club next year.

Bulldogs football operations manager James Fantasia said the club would talk to Hall about his plans for next year.

"We'd certainly at some point speak with him and ask about his intentions," Fantasia said of Hall, whom the club showed strong interest in acquiring at the end of last year, when the Swans opted to retain him. "We'll talk to him."

Fantasia said the Dogs would not talk to Hall immediately, because it was a list-management issue that "usually takes place later this year". The club hoped to speak to Hall in about a month.

Hall has not indicated whether he will play football, or pursue other interests, such as a professional boxing career, next year.

While the Bulldogs had previously talked down the prospect of enticing Hall to play for them, it is clear that the club retains strong interest in the key forward, subject to certain conditions.

Bulldog forward Bob Murphy said on radio this week that he would be excited by the prospect of Hall in red, white and blue.

The major factor will be cost — in terms of money and the draft.

The Bulldogs, mindful of Hall's age (32), his record of suspensions and the possibility that he might be able to play for only season, cannot afford to pay him at anything like his last Sydney contract.

The Bulldogs also take the view that they would not wish to give up too much in the draft, given Hall's age.

The club considers that Hall would be attractive in the event that he wishes to play, and can be acquired at the right price.

In the football industry, the Bulldogs are considered the best fit for Hall on the grounds that they are close enough to a premiership to take the punt, and that he addresses their long-standing weakness — the absence of a strong-marking power forward.

That the vast majority of clubs have ruled out recruiting Hall works in the Dogs' favour, given that there would be few, if any, other bidders. He will stay on Sydney's list until the end of the season, when he will either be delisted — and thus available in the draft — or picked up via a trade.

While Hall was on a hefty contract in which most of his wages were guaranteed in Sydney, the Dogs would probably seek to pay him on an incentive-based contract — protecting themselves against the risk of a suspension and injury.

Hall has an association with Bulldogs' coach Rodney Eade, who was Sydney coach when Hall crossed from St Kilda to Sydney at the end of 2001.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs to speak to Hall

Well, colour me surprised! The GBWO (Get Bazza to Whitten Oval) juggernaut rolls on...
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

James Fantasia was on SEN this morning and said the article was a bit of a beat up.

He said they’ll do there due diligence and investigate all options, including Barry Hall – but it’ll be a process that happens later in the year when list management decisions have to be made.

He also said that we have a number of developing key position players and named Grant, Boumann, Cordy, Jones and Roughead, and that their development needs to be considered also.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think Barry is the right fit for us, I would much rather see one of the kids be given ago before we recruit Hall.
    IMO Hall's hands have been terrible for the last two years, and once the ball hits the ground he is pretty much useless... Barry should take up boxing and hit blokes that are expecting it!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bitofbite View Post
    I don't think Barry is the right fit for us, I would much rather see one of the kids be given ago before we recruit Hall.
    IMO Hall's hands have been terrible for the last two years, and once the ball hits the ground he is pretty much useless... Barry should take up boxing and hit blokes that are expecting it!!
    I couldn't disagree more with the highlighted part. Hall would not have survived at Sydney unless his defensive work was top shelf - aside from Riewoldt, I can't think of a key forward who works harder defensively than Hall. I also question the comment about his hands being terrible - this was certainly a big issue in 2007 and to a lesser extent 2008, but I didn't noticed too much double-grabbing and fumbling at all from him this season.

Super 27 Guest

Get him on board if we want to win a flag

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    James Fantasia was on SEN this morning and said the article was a bit of a beat up.

He said they’ll do there due diligence and investigate all options, including Barry Hall – but it’ll be a process that happens later in the year when list management decisions have to be made.

He also said that we have a number of developing key position players and named Grant, Boumann, Cordy, Jones and Roughead, and that their development needs to be considered also.
    I thought that was the case.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post

Which pretty much means we'll definatly talk to Barry, with teams coming out and literally saying NO.

The key forwards will continue to develop with or without Hall, we can see how long it has taken Everitt as an example on how long taller players take to develop as a rule, and Everitt is still yet to demand a position.

I would have also thought that a Grant or Cordy or Boumann will benefit more playing along side Hall whilst developing and playing games rather than being the number one or 2 tall, all of our developing talls have shown at Willy that they can play up the ground as well as deep forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Due dilligence says we talk to him weigh up our options and then decide I am open either way but beleve we must at the very least chat with him.
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

Post Thanks / Like

I say trade for a 4th rounder and modest salary with performance incentives.

If players like Murphy would be excited to have Hall at FF then that is a good sign. Fantasia is playing it down, as he should. But when most clubs have rejected the idea of geting Hall, us saying we will look at him is a sign it is on the radar.

The club won't pay over the odds, so if the right deal could be struck, you would think is at least a fair shot of being a WBFC player next year.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I say trade for a 4th rounder and modest salary with performance incentives.
    If it actually gets that far, I'd imagine any trade for Hall will involve us not actually foregoing a pick but rather swapping low picks with Sydney, something like our 4th rounder to Sydney for Hall and their 5th rounder. A bit like what we did with the Cats for Tim Callan, and the Ray and Rhyce Shaw trades from last year.

Having officially retired from the Swans, there is absolutely no currency whatsoever for Sydney, so you'd think there will be a goodwill trade done very quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    If it actually gets that far, I'd imagine any trade for Hall will involve us not actually foregoing a pick but rather swapping low picks with Sydney, something like our 4th rounder to Sydney for Hall and their 5th rounder. A bit like what we did with the Cats for Tim Callan, and the Ray and Rhyce Shaw trades from last year.

Having officially retired from the Swans, there is absolutely no currency whatsoever for Sydney, so you'd think there will be a goodwill trade done very quickly.
    I would be happy with this option, but with Roughead's development, I still think a straight swap for Skipper is the best option for both parties.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post

Fair enough, I was thinking only having 3 picks and Hall, but having thought about it we could take 4 draft picks and Hall. Then i think you would be right on the money Sedat.

But that would mean 5 delistings without any further rookie spot elevations (Picken/Eagleton in whichever way is a gimme): O'Shea, Wight, Skipper, Welsh and Lynch perhaps? (Assuming Aker and Eagle get another year - If not, perhaps Shaw to be elevated?)

Then next year, 2010, we could be looking at Johno, Aker, Hall, Eagleton - Two F/S this year.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I would be happy with this option, but with Roughead's development, I still think a straight swap for Skipper is the best option for both parties.
    What makes you think Sydney would want a Skip, who is a VFL ruckman? I'd be stoked if that's all it took, but I can't see why Sydney would want him?

Post Thanks / Like

Why would we give anything for Hall? Couldn't we just get him pre-season draft?