Thanks Thanks:  56
Likes Likes:  433
Page 4 of 92 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ekers

Some sad news in Ekerland today. The Swans have delisted it's two leading Ekers in Henry Playfair and Luke Ablett. There is a chance that they will re-draft them but at least for now, Lewis Roberts-Thomson will takeover as the Swans leading Eker. I am sure he won't let us down. There was some phenomenal Eker depth on the Swans list in 2009.

Thanks for the memories....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    Some sad news in Ekerland today. The Swans have delisted it's two leading Ekers in Henry Playfair and Luke Ablett. There is a chance that they will re-draft them ]

Dont be sad Rocco. If they do get redrafted then it just adds to the boy's ekerism.

Actually ekerism doesnt look right now that I look at it. Maybe ekerability or ekerstory would be better?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it possible that an Eker could play 300 games?

I'm thinking Gary Foulds.

I reckon Barry Round was an Eker for most of his 300+ games as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post

I'm thinking Gary Foulds.

I reckon Barry Round was an Eker for most of his 300+ games as well.

Did one of the Nankervis brothers get to 300 games at Geelong? Those two were pure ekers and they played nearly 500 games between them I reckon.

*edit* 578 games between them, 5 B&Fs, and nearly 10 years captaining the club between them. That makes tham eker Royalty.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Did one of the Nankervis brothers get to 300 games at Geelong? Those two were pure ekers and they played nearly 500 games between them I reckon.
    I reckon Ian was better than that.

Coached me briefly in '84 and I really liked the bloke.

How about John Blakey?

Post Thanks / Like

I reckon Ian was better than that.

Coached me briefly in '84 and I really liked the bloke.

How about John Blakey?

I cant help but think of this bloke when you mention him;

But given he played 350+ games and was a two time premiership player probably means I ought to accord him more respect.

Anyway "Footballers who automatically make you think of someone else when you hear their name" probably has enough legs in it for a thread all of it's own I reckon.

Post Thanks / Like

Some sad news in Ekerland today. The Swans have delisted it's two leading Ekers in Henry Playfair and Luke Ablett. There is a chance that they will re-draft them but at least for now, Lewis Roberts-Thomson will takeover as the Swans leading Eker. I am sure he won't let us down. There was some phenomenal Eker depth on the Swans list in 2009.

Swans Eker-fullness is noted by myself a page back. Luke Ablett built an entire AFL career on the back of a surname.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Twodogs;126222]I cant help but think of this bloke when you mention him;

Cor blimey!

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Running Dog;126424]
    Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I cant help but think of this bloke when you mention him;

Cor blimey!

I've been thinking more about this over the last couple of days and it's a damn shame that Blakey isnt still playing. Then when he was chasing Sam Butler out of St Kilda's defence he could yell "I'll get you Butler"

Post Thanks / Like

John Rantall? Only saw the tail-end of his career so he might very well have been a top-shelf defender in his prime.

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps a bit harsh on Luke Ablett who was more than a serviceable player for the Sydney Swans. Hard to also overcome the famous Ablett name given the class of Gary senior and junior. Geoff Ablett was also a very good player.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    John Rantall? Only saw the tail-end of his career so he might very well have been a top-shelf defender in his prime.
    Nah. Mopsy was a gun.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    Perhaps a bit harsh on Luke Ablett who was more than a serviceable player for the Sydney Swans. Hard to also overcome the famous Ablett name given the class of Gary senior and junior. Geoff Ablett was also a very good player.
    Eker is not meant to be purely an insult. It just basically means having a relatively long AFL career (7-8 years+) without ever being a 'gun' player. While there are a lot of dud Ekers, there are a fair amount of solid, valuable types like Michael Doughty.

Post Thanks / Like

Eker is not meant to be purely an insult. It just basically means having a relatively long AFL career (7-8 years+) without ever being a 'gun' player. While there are a lot of dud Ekers, there are a fair amount of solid, valuable types like Michael Doughty.
    Yeah. What he said.

The fact that Lukey got cut after 7-8 years and 120+ games on a list is PURE eker. Normally players with that pedigree are ready to take the next step and become AFL mainstays as part of the core of the team.

For Luke, however, it was an indication of how much he had squeezed out of a limited talent-base.

Post Thanks / Like

Nah. Mopsy was a gun.

Yep. While it's fairly normal these days to have your best ball users off half back Rantall almost invented the position as it's used today. Before him half back flankers were best known for using elbows, mad stares and punches in the back of the head.