Thanks Thanks:  56
Likes Likes:  433
Page 37 of 92 FirstFirst ... 27282930313233343536373839404142434445464787 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ekers

Quote Originally Posted by Throughandthrough View Post
    who?

What club was he at?

#neverhirdofhim
    Ahh, the life of an Eker. Quietly going about their business in complete anonymity. Doesn't have to worry about paparazzi, can probably get in a nightclub brawl, get busted drink driving or in possession of drugs and nobody will care.

He occasionally turned out for Carlton.

2. Likes Throughandthrough, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Throughandthrough View Post
    who?

What club was he at?

#neverhirdofhim
    Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    carton
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Ahh, the life of an Eker. Quietly going about their business in complete anonymity. Doesn't have to worry about paparazzi, can probably get in a nightclub brawl, get busted drink driving or in possession of drugs and nobody will care.

He had a long and distinguished career for the Northen Blues or whatever they are called.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

4. Likes Throughandthrough liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post

Anonymity in public for sure. But one of the most consistent traits of an eker tends to be that they are seen as a really good bloke within the '4 walls' of their club/s. You have to be a real team man as an Eker...its key to hanging in there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Anonymity in public for sure. But one of the most consistent traits of an eker tends to be that they are seen as a really good bloke within the '4 walls' of their club/s. You have to be a real team man as an Eker...its key to hanging in there.
    At Carlton, I can see Cameron Wood and Robbie Warnock are falling over each other to do the coffee run every morning for the boys.

7. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've just looked up Mark Athorn's history. Eight years, 4 clubs, 83 games, 17 goals. But he made it to a Grand Final in 1993 with Carlton and after that disappeared quietly from the scene as far as I know. Pretty respectable eking.
    I love this thread.

"Some are born to rise and peak, others merely flatline and ... eke."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    I've just looked up Mark Athorn's history. Eight years, 4 clubs, 83 games, 17 goals. But he made it to a Grand Final in 1993 with Carlton and after that disappeared quietly from the scene as far as I know. Pretty respectable eking.
    I love this thread.

Love this thread too.

Another gold class doggie eker from yesteryear was Shannon Corcoran - 30 games for 3 clubs over 8 years (5 at Dogs), averaged 9 touches a game as a running midfielder. 2 Career goals.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    I love this thread.

Mark Athorn was as tough as they come and a key factor in surviving 4 Clubs over 8 years.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure you're right NBP. Having strong self-belief, being able to bounce back from adversity, a thick skin and being able to roll with the punches would be prerequisites for anyone eking out a career.

Post Thanks / Like

One for Sedat.

What does Spangher do in his spare time: - Go to Uni.

Matthew Spangher has been at university longer than he’s been on an AFL list.

For a 28-year-old premiership player in his 10th season in the system, it’s a lot of time dedicated to the classroom.

Spangher was “handy at school” and started university before he was selected by West Coast with pick No.34 in the 2005 National Draft.

He has completed a Business degree and is currently partway through his Masters in Sports Management.

“MY FOOTY CAREER HASN’T ALWAYS TAKEN OFF. IT’S BEEN A LITTLE STOP-START AT TIMES, SO I HAVE ALWAYS HAD TO HAVE THAT COMMITMENT OR PLAN AWAY FROM THE GAME” – MATT SPANGHER
    “My footy career hasn’t always taken off, it’s been a little stop-start at times, so I have always had to have that commitment or plan away from the game,” Spangher told aflplayers.com.au.

“Study has also helped at times when footy isn’t going that well.
    Also eking out Uni degrees.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

13. Thanks Sedat thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it becoming easier to be an Eker, because clubs need so much depth these days?
    Ekers are essentially depth players right?
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    Mark Athorn was as tough as they come and a key factor in surviving 4 Clubs over 8 years.
    I couldn't agree more.... I played a lot of junior and school footy with him..... Tough as they came... Took a free kick in the centre circle at Keilor Oval in a final that was marked by a team mate in a goal square....remember him throwing the loudest punch that I have ever heard .... It echoed through the Yarraville FC grandstand in interleague.. Classic case of white line fever.... Top bloke who also was good academically.

Post Thanks / Like

With Daniel Currie possibly heading to the Gold Coast, does he become one of the all time greats?

Drafted by the Swans in 2006, delisted in 2011 without playing a single match.

Played a year in the SANFL in 2012 then got picked up by North in 2012 Draft.

Has since played 4 games in 3 years with the possibly of being on Gold Coasts list for 2016.

Essentially averaging .5 games a year of his career.

17. Likes Mantis, bulldogtragic, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that is impressive stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaytee View Post
    With Daniel Currie possibly heading to the Gold Coast, does he become one of the all time greats?

Drafted by the Swans in 2006, delisted in 2011 without playing a single match.

Played a year in the SANFL in 2012 then got picked up by North in 2012 Draft.

Has since played 4 games in 3 years with the possibly of being on Gold Coasts list for 2016.

Essentially averaging .5 games a year of his career.
    Yep, he is eker royalty - well on track to become a legend in the eker HoF.

Post Thanks / Like

Years ago I remember reading about a Carlton player who racked up a huge number of games in the 2s without ever getting the call up. Anyone shed light on this? I know it's not strictly eking - more like pre-eking, or still-born eking or Clayton's eking or maybe wouldabeen eking if only had the chance. "I coulda bin an eker Charlie." (apologies to Brando fans)
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

21. Likes Mantis liked this post