Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bulldog Howard aiming for VFL start

By Mic Cullen 1:15 PM Thu 21 January, 2010

THE WESTERN Bulldogs have set the early rounds of the VFL as a target for first-round draft pick Christian Howard as he has still not resumed running after undergoing hip surgery a month ago.

Most of the football world was taken by surprise when the Dogs snapped up Howard at pick 15 in the 2009 NAB AFL Draft, but his new team said he was a clear first-rounder, and that they knew he would need the operation prior to selecting him.

Article in full...
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldog Howard aiming for VFL start

I'm looking forward to seeing how he performs. We went after highly skilled players with our first two picks and I'm sure I'll enjoy watching them down at Williamstown.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Bulldog Howard aiming for VFL start

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    By Mic Cullen 1:15 PM Thu 21 January, 2010

THE WESTERN Bulldogs have set the early rounds of the VFL as a target for first-round draft pick Christian Howard as he has still not resumed running after undergoing hip surgery a month ago.

Most of the football world was taken by surprise when the Dogs snapped up Howard at pick 15 in the 2009 NAB AFL Draft, but his new team said he was a clear first-rounder, and that they knew he would need the operation prior to selecting him.

Article in full...
    Coon, we're not a pack of mugs when it comes to draft picks. Our Guys know what we need, what we require and what needs to be done to get them there. I am personally looking forward to seeing Howard and some of the other guys perform an IMPROVE in the VFL and hopefully later this year or next get a chance to pull on the famous RED, WHITE & BLUE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shnookie View Post
    Coon, we're not a pack of mugs when it comes to draft picks. Our Guys know what we need, what we require and what needs to be done to get them there. I am personally looking forward to seeing Howard and some of the other guys perform an IMPROVE in the VFL and hopefully later this year or next get a chance to pull on the famous RED, WHITE & BLUE
    Think this is a case of shooting the messenger, TCD didn't write the article he just placed it on Woof for us to read.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shnookie View Post
    Coon, we're not a pack of mugs when it comes to draft picks.
    Power, McMahon, Walsh, Wells, McGuinness, Bowden......
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that every club has it's hits and misses if you analyse the drafts closely enough. The nature of the industry dictates that not every player will make it and the list will continually evolve and develop. For every Walsh there's a Lake and vice versa.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Sam Power. Played 84 games for the club and left of his own choice.

Jordan McMahon. Played 114 games for the club,including a rising star nomination and left of his own accord.

Walsh. Injury plagued, regarded as the best tall available in that draft. We'll never know.

Wells. Granted.

Kieran McGuinness. Disappointing but still played 26 games, about average for an AFL player.

Pat Bowden. Played 50 games for the club.

Whilst none are Cooney or Griffen, if that's what you regard as mugs recruiting, your standards are impossibly high.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know if Howard played any senior SANFL footy in 09?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Cooney, Griffen, Higgins, Ward, Gilbee, Giansiracusa, Cross, Lake, Morris, Harbrow, Boyd, Hargrave, Murphy, Hahn........

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    Does anyone know if Howard played any senior SANFL footy in 09?
    Yeah at Glenelg.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Fish View Post
    Yeah at Glenelg.
    He did? Where did you find that info?

According to the stats I found on the following website Christian played 22 games for Glenelg U/18's which doesn't leave much room for senior footy.

SANFL Stats

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post

According to the stats I found on the following website Christian played 22 games for Glenelg U/18's which doesn't leave much room for senior footy.

SANFL Stats
    Yeah sorry it was only under 18's. I thought i read that he had but i must have mis-read it.

ronmcd Guest

With regard to Howard's ability, the best person to ask is 'Through and Through.' He knows the South Aussie players best. In particular, he knows the guys at 'the Bay' ,or Glenelg here in SA. I really trust his knowledge!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post

SANFL Stats
    Glenelg (the Bays) hardly pushed anyone up to higher levels last year, for a variety of reasons, but mainly a very high level of depth in all three teams and the fact that the league team was having a red hot go @ the flag. (which they stuffed up royally, in the finals...). A few of the older u 18 kids floated up and down and played a few reserves games from time to time but not much more then that. It is some peoples opinions over here (not mine...) that it's better for a younger guy to stay in the 18's then play Magoos.

Coincidentally, I bumped into Howie's Coach from last year at a meeting the other day. He's getting great reports back from Howie and his family, and he (Howie) has now settled in with his new host family after learning the ropes @ the house of Gilbee.

His coach from last year has previously declared that he believes that Howard was the most accurate kick from any of the three senior teams @ the Bays. I also believe he started last year a bit off the boil but half way through the year decided to fully commit to the cause and went ahead in massive leaps and bounds.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Throughandthrough View Post
    Coincidentally, I bumped into Howie's Coach from last year at a meeting the other day. He's getting great reports back from Howie and his family, and he (Howie) has now settled in with his new host family after learning the ropes @ the house of Gilbee.
    Just slightly off topic, who are the 'host families' interstate players are matched with? Are they club employees? Anyone know anything about them?
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]